Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fast approaching my 2-year service with 6,200 miles on the clock but cannot find any documentation on exactly what is required for this service.
Using the Peugeot app on my phone and online, it seems that Peugeot want to charge me £200+ for a 'standard service' plus also wanting to do spark plugs, brake fluid, air filter and pollen filter - total just under £500.
This seems rather excessive to me for a low mileage car. Additionally, I would have expected spark plugs and air filter to be included in the standard service.
Can I ask what other owners have paid for this service please and what should be included.
Many thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
How much??!!!
My RCZR is cheaper to service (2 year) than that, and that has 4 expensive spark plugs!

For reference, the service schedule is in the service book, if you dont do the miles then go by the age of the car to what needs doing but 500+ quid is taking the p a bit. Go up north, have a nce weekend break with a bit of shopping, drop your car off for a service (this includes hotel btw) and it will be cheaper than what you are being charged for! (Honestly, do it, at least you get to have a nice break as well ? )

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
This thing about changing brake fluid every 2 years - I'm doubtful it's necessary. I've never done it - my oldest car is 25 years old and I've had it for 18. It's supposed to be because the fluid absorbs water, but no-one explains how the water is supposed to get into it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This thing about changing brake fluid every 2 years - I'm doubtful it's necessary. I've never done it - my oldest car is 25 years old and I've had it for 18. It's supposed to be because the fluid absorbs water, but no-one explains how the water is supposed to get into it.
the water get into the brake fluid by air. The air contains humid and humid becomes water. water inside the fluid makes bubble (sort of) and when you hit the brake, the pressure can not be transferred strongly into the piston.

·
3,194 Posts
Hi..as above...with modern braking systems the fluid must be at its optimum due to a.b.s. and traction control and emergency braking and anything else....the fluid in the calipers gets very hot as well....so good fluid is required

·
3,194 Posts
Hi again...I asked if the service contract I have was mileage based...no...so at any service i will ask for the old parts(not oil filter)plugs/pollen/air filter and hang onto them and reuse when the contract ends...yep im being tight...but to change parts before they have done much mileage seems a waste...

·
6,460 Posts
As above brake fluid is hygroscopic so it absorbs moisture from the air (via the breather hole in the cap) and you can get creep from moisture on the caliper pistons.

The other issue other than lowering the boiling point of the fluid is the water travel through the fluid and causes internal corrosion of caliper and wheel cylinder pistons and ABS valves.

I change my fluid around every 3-4 yrs based on the readings of my brake fluid tester. It's a easy job with a easibleed or similar and does not cost a fortune normally 500ml-1ltr of fluid is enough. You can see the degradation in the fluid as the old fluid is darker in colour when you bleed the brakes

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
You change the brake fluid every 3/4 years, so you are saying doing every two years is a bit excessive.
Mine is now over 2 years old, brake fluid still looks as new compared to a new bottle of the stuff.

But everything is now on safety overkill.

·
6,460 Posts
Based on my brake fluid tester yes two years is over kill. I only get an amber warning after 3 or 4 yrs so change it then.

I do not know how accurate the tester is as it is only a basic one from eBay but but appears to do the job.

I did also check an old bottle of fluid that was over 6 yrs old I found in my grandads garage and that gave a red warning which to me shows it works ok

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Yes, old brake fluid in a bottle doesn't last either. Maybe if it is really well sealed and full. But half empty, the shelf life is no longer than the fluid in the braking system.

Though I thought the later Dot 4 fluid was less hygroscopic than earlier versions.

Didn't know about testers, had a quick look and they cost from just under a fiver on Ebay. Are those any good or did you buy a better one?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Had my 2 year service last Nov and it was £235. I also found the list of 'recommended' items really confusing. As the OP said, why isnt it included. I seem to recall I had the brake fluid and pollen filter. I didnt have the plugs done or air filter i think.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Recommend everyone gets the exact details of what you they paying for with dealerships servicing and service plans. Just changed my car after 2 years. Back in 2016 I paid £298 for a 24 month service plan up front. I only do between 6 and 7k miles per year. This year I was quoted £568, a ridiculous increase, particularly as my servicing comprises of oil and filter change and a few checks on fluid levels etc. I don't need my spark plugs for e.g changed until around 4 years, so by taking this plan I'm just lining the dealership's pockets.

Moreover I noticed that Peugeot service plans are a lot cheaper. For new cars they are £12.99 per month. When I asked the dealer why they didn't market Peugeot service plans, they said they like to tailor plans to the customers mileage. What a load of crap. I contacted Peugeot and they said that all of their franchised dealers should be offering these plans. If they don't who is going to run with them?

I just kept on at them, copying the general manager, and they offered me a 24 month plan for £235, which will cover services at 12 and 24 months, so that confirms I was overcharged two years ago. It pays to question these people.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Just had my 1.6 blue HDi services at about 2.5 years and 27k miles. Level 2 service was all they said, no mention of brake fluid change, nothing on invoice for this either. Did oil change, oil filter, air filter and one marked "filtering" @ £25.32 so don't know if they changed the pollen filter as I thought there were two pollen filters fitted.
They also did some recall work, but that's not part of the service.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Any recall work would be invoiced to Peugeot and not appear on your invoice. It would have been on your job sheet for the workshop though.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
What does fill me with confidence is the invoice for my car says it's a 1.6 blue HDi 100 ACTIVE, when Service box clearly satates 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Allure, as does the v5.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm sure you know the differences between the Active and the Allure (electric folding door mirrors, front parking sensors, panoramic glass roof, etc) to be sure!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Oh yes, I have all those, plus the optional reversing camera. LED headlights and Diamond wheels. All clearly the Allure. The Panoramic glass roof was still an option and not fitted on mine. Pity because I have rust bubbles on the roof panel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts