Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this car for 5 years and like it a lot. A while back it started to have a problem after being parked for short while, like in the queue for a ferry. It has always started perfectly when cold, and still does. The engine would only crank very slowly or not at all but it always started after a minute or so of repeatedly turning the key, and embarrassment. The garage couldn't locate the fault. More recently I noticed that the fuel gauge was reading 1/8 full, regardless of the amount in the tank on a day when it would later refuse the start normally when warm.
A few months ago in desperation in a car park I grabbed a can of silicone spray and wafted it sparingly over the three multiway connectors at the rear nearside of the engine compartment and the car started perfectly. For the past few months a light spray of silicone whenever the fuel gauge read low immediately made it read correctly and the car started normally.
After a drive up a bumpy hill track a couple of weeks ago it wouldn't restart and the silicone trick doesn't work anymore.

Does anyone have a fix for this problem please?

·
Registered
199 Posts
The three connectors are almost certainly for the ECU, I'm not sure why that would make it crank slowly. Also in that area is the main battery earth. Try putting a jump lead between the battery neg and the engine block.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The three connectors are almost certainly for the ECU, I'm not sure why that would make it crank slowly. Also in that area is the main battery earth. Try putting a jump lead between the battery neg and the engine block.
Thanks, cancunia - I'll give that a try :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cancunia, I measured the resistance between the negative battery post and points on the engine block with a multimeter and got readings down to 0.3 ohms, which is the same reading obtained when touching the probes together.
I then took the car on a 15 mile drive with the fuel gauge reading 1/8 full and stopped at a retail outlet for about 10 minutes. When I tried to restart it the engine cranked slowly but did 'catch' and I drove a half mile to a supermarket where I parked for 20 mins. Restarting afterwards took a couple of seconds, as opposed to the instant starting when cold, but the fuel gauge still read 1/8 full after adding 5 litres from a fuel can. I then drove a mile to an industrial supplies shop where I bought a can of silicone spray, the material which had always worked when lightly sprayed on the ECU connector until recently.

Returning to the car I put the unopened can on the passenger seat and when I turned the key to the first position where the engine lights come on there was a faint click and the fuel gauge jumped to 1/2 full.

Of course, it then started perfectly, but I don't know why. I hope someone here does.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry, I missed your reply. I don't have an answer other than to repeat what I suggested a while ago. The low resistance may not indicate the ability to take a large electrical load. Are things any better now a couple of weeks on?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts