Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the beginning...

My 307 started blowing fuse 8 in the engine bay box with the accompanying refusal to start. I diagnosed the starter solenoid as the problem (it was kicking but not spinning under load).

I (finally) fitted a new starter along with a new battery (the old one was ever so slightly on the tired side) and put everything back together.

Started the car, drove it 20 yards to another parking spot, no probs.

Later, moved the car again - it beeped and reported "brake system fault" and the power steering stopped being powered.

Did a bsi reset and it appeared fine. Drove it about half a mile to check and upon turning right (into a side road to turn around) got the brake system fault, lack of power steering, and also "passenger seatbelt pretensioner fault" along with "ABS system fault" and "airbag system fault".

A selection of bsi resets results in a variety of faults flashing up, sometimes it'll start and be fine for a few minutes, then it'll refuse to turn over and throw faults.

Sometimes the wipers come on randomly, irrespective of whether the ignition is on or the key is even in the car.

Sometimes the power steering electric pump continues to run, also without the key in the ignition (handy if it won't start and I need to push the car...)

Sometimes the front right foglight decides to be on (I've unplugged that...) just the front right.

I still get the "risk of filter blocking" message, but I've had that for 3 years - shame it can't forget that one...

So, it's obviously the bsi having a fit. Isn't it?

Could moving the loom (that runs along the back of the engine, blocking access to the starter) have caused it? Is it worth stripping that loom out to check the wires/plugs?

Any other suggestions?

(tl;dr - bsi needs a slap, should I buy a Honda instead?)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Is your new battery fully charged? Peugeots are very touchy about battery voltage and can throw up all sorts of errors.

·
3,162 Posts
HI....I would start by checking the various earth connections from the battery to the engine and gearbox...you may even have water ingress in the fusebox,,,
ps ..as above check the battery voltage as well

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your new battery fully charged? Peugeots are very touchy about battery voltage and can throw up all sorts of errors.

Yes, first thing I checked.

Ghost faults due to low voltage was one of the reasons I replaced what I would have considered a perfectly good battery (on any other car).

It's also got an acceptable charging voltage when the engine is running too.

The faults don't always appear straight away - they can appear after it's been running (and charging) happily for minutes.p

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI....I would start by checking the various earth connections from the battery to the engine and gearbox...you may even have water ingress in the fusebox,,,
The 'main' earth on top of the gearbox I removed for access for the starter, I gave it a wipe when I put it back and it looked clean and shiny enough.

If there are more down the back of the engine it's possible I may have disturbed them inadvertently - that'll mean another partial strip...

How likely is it that the bsi is actually fried?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Check for water ingress to the BSI. A little bit of water will cause all sorts of faults, many of which you are experiencing

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had the bsi unit out and took the back of the casing off.

All appears clean and dry, as do the plugs/sockets/pins.

Plugged them in and out a couple of times to wipe the pins, and while it was out I did the same to the fuses.

All back together, started up fine.

Then...

Pretensioner and braking system faults flashed, but then went away.

I'm going to try clearing any stored faults my cheapie reader can find and see what (if anything) that does. Maybe a stored code is having some sort of nefarious effect...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I didn't find much with the elm327, which isn't much of a surprise...

P1351 - that'll be the glow plugs that have been dead since before I got the car. They are dead, I have checked them and they're definitely dead. Totally dead. I've just not bothered to find my box of extra elbows so I can reach them to replace.

P0299 - lack of boost or egr problem?

I don't think either would be contributing to the rest of the panic mode.

Unless...

If the egr problem is a vac circuit issue, I may have disturbed a pipe (I did have to shift the vac accumulator, I thought I got the pipes back on alright though).

A vac leak could affect the brake servo (is this even monitored?)

That shouldn't make one fog light and the wipers want to come on though...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.you may even have water ingress in the fusebox,,

I've just reread this part after going out and fiddling with the under bonnet fusebox...

I had already pulled all the multiplugs out of the ECU and the fusebox (which all looked fine), but thought I'd check the fuses.

Quite a few of them had white deposits all around the socket.

How much of the electronic system is built into the fusebox, and how much can/does it influence the network/bsi?

·
Registered
342 Posts
The BSI affects everything. When I got water in mine the headlights and wipers came on and would not go off. Lots of lights on the dash but none of the ones you want to see. No interior light, no door locking.
I dried it out overnight on the radiator, sprayed it with switch cleaner and then it all worked again.
VERY lucky
The deposits on the fuses could easily give the faults you have. I would suggest replacing them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The BSI affects everything.
Yes, but I'm not (currently) on about the bsi - I'm referring to the bsm unit, or underbonnet fusebox.

I just took it out.

The white deposits are mainly around the sockets for fuses 5,6,17&18.

So anyway, I had it indoors and was attempting to finagle the clips off to split the casing, upon turning the unit over to get to another clip it made a "sploingleblup" kind of noise.

It's got fluid in.

I'm assuming that said fluid is water, but I'm not entirely sure - is it a liquid cooled fusebox?:unsure:

Currently, the wife is shaking it around outside the door and getting stuff dripping out - but it sounds like there's a fair bit in there and it's really not coming out easily...

If that's not the cause of all the problems, it certainly can't be helping matters.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It probably is the cause of your problems. I had a fault with mine which caused the headlights to stay on permanantly. i had to take the fuses out to stop the battery going flat. I went to a breakers and got one for 15 Euros and that fixed the problem. It is not coded to anything so there is no problem changing it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is not coded to anything so there is no problem changing it.
I did read that it had to be the same type, with the same part reference number*, because the different types have different applications wired through...

Fuse 5 is EmmisionFilter Control unit
Fuse 6 is Front Fog Lights
Fuse 17 is Windscreen Wiper
Fuse 18 is Air Conditioning
Whatever the fuses are for is I think not very relevant, they just pointed at the issue in there which is/was a bucket of water slopping about.

* I've found a couple on eBay for about 40quid, but I'll phone the scrappy tomorrow. Might even phone the dealer for a giggle.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just found one that looked the same. The first one I tried had more faults than my original, so I took it back and changed it for another and it worked perfectly. At least if you buy from a local scrappy and it doesn't work you can take it back.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I'll give the scrappy a go.

There's only one within a reasonable distance though and since they changed ownership they're not what they used to be. Still, I'll be cautiously optimistic.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, went to scrappy today, found one almost the same - it's an L11, but the long number is different.

Got it fitted, it all seems to function...

Too soon to say that it's fixed, but I'll report back.

As an aside, I did phone pug dealer about one - £256+vat, and showing as "not commercially available" or some such. Effectively unavailable. It would appear the 307 is starting to turn end of support life. If I want to keep it then it might be worth considering raiding the scrappy to hoard a few electronic bits...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just been for a 10ish mile drive, everything appears to be working.

I'm still somewhat hesitant to say it's completely fixed, but I will say it's fixed right now...

If it remains fixed, I might have to have a think about ways to protect it and prevent any future occurrences - maybe something like moving it inside the car next to the bsi instead of under the bonnet.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Could you not cover it with waterproof material like thin rubber or the like?

Well, yes.

But...

There's venting in the casing over the relays, so I assume there's some heat going on and so anything sealed enough to be better than the stock cover is going to impede airflow.

By far the most likely thing that'll happen though is I'll either forget or not be bothered to do anything about it ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts