Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can any body help with this .. I’ve replaced the advance solenoid. I’m now looking for the obd port , the one one by the bonnet catch doesn’t fit my reader.. any ideas on obd reading or suggestions of what to look for with this hurrendous knock .many thanks

·
2,601 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum....I've moved your problem to the 'expert' sub forum for specific model advise...all our regulars will read every post but it helps anyone searching for an answer...welcome again

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
This is usually caused by the timing sensor not getting the correct signals sometimes the sensor/wiring goes bad sometimes the sensor lugs fall off the flywheel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I’ll take a look .. is this referred to as the crankshaft sensor .. and does this apply to dw8 engine ....thank you

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
Well some would call it that but its not really the same thing it is just a reference sensor but as i say it not really the sensor thats the issue usually the lugs on the flywheel break or fall out there are 2 on the flywheel and the very basic ecu uses these to tell it TDC and it then controls the electronic part of the pump to correct timing it also has a sensor on 1 injector to help with this task.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changed the flywheel sensor but no change .. noticed some fine diesel mist and a damp stop solenoid as I changed this last year . Would this be to blame ... engine light on now too

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
As i already said changing the sensor wont help remove the sensor again look in the hole while someone turns the crank look for the 2 lugs mark 1 with paint and turn it till you see the other if both are intact the problem is elsewhere but this is the most common reason

Has it had a clutch recently?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it’s not had a clutch... there seems to be fuel vapour around under torch light and the stop solenoid is leaking ... I’ll try looking at the flywheel lugs too ... engine light is on now .. I’m wondering wether I can get a code off it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can anybody advise if I need a special obd reader for my 04 expert 1.9. The one I have doesn’t seem to fit.. I’m presuming the green port located by the bonnet catch is the obd diagnostic port . Many thanks

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
Have you checked the lugs then.

Any proper diagnostic tool should be able to read it but the ecu is quite simple on these it just controls timing and EGR so it wont tell you a great deal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Both lugs are intact on flywheel .. I’ve also noticed there’s some kind of valve up by the expansion tank . Two pipes at the front and one at the back which is sucking air .. ... cleaned Ecu plugs and cleaned earths ... getting stuck now .

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
The vacuum solenoid at the expansion tank is connected to the EGR system it should not be sucking air as you describe it it should be a sealed circuit check where the 2 long pipes go 1 should go to vac pump other to EGR valve but you should not hear anything.

EGR if it was stuck open for example it might well knock a little but would smoke badly too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are two pipes connected at front of the vaccuum solenoid but there’s also one at the back of it .. any ideas what this should be connected to . Can I get a second hand ecu box and try it or will it need to be coded .. many thanks

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
Third pipe goes nowhere its just a balance pipe air intake/exhaust different people call it different things some solenoids dont even have it just a cap with a hole.

You cannot swap the ecu on its own and the ecu WONT be the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on this .. timing has been checked in garage and they can’t seem to find the fault either
They have said it’s pump or injector problem .. which won’t be worth doing on an old van.. any last ideas on the cause of this horrific knock and now difficulty to start would be
Welcome .. many thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts