Turbo hesitate and smoke - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-03-17, 11:13 AM   #1

Exclamation Turbo hesitate and smoke

2009 expert tepee 1.6hdi

Not used the van for a week or so but took it out for a spin today all was fine got nice and warm pulled up at a junction and needed to give it some beans to pull out (busy road and no one gives way)

So i pulled out and the turbo come on and was fine changed to 2nd yet again turbo come on but hesitated to pull (felt like it was jerking) and a bucket load of black smoke then all of a sudden smoke cleared and van pulled like a train.

So now if the turbo comes on and you dont try to much pedal all is good but if you do give it some pedal (i need to due to the hills around me) it hesitates and black smokes until you let off some of the pedal or drive through it then it clears.

Any thoughts ? looked at the turbo there is no side ways movement and very good oil supply.
martins-place is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-03-17, 01:31 PM   #2

Could be a number of potential causes, best bet is to get live data on Diagbox and see what's happening when the van is under load

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 27-03-17, 02:31 PM   #3

Not got access to Diagbox and no one near me either so its find it the hard way did some google and it seems it could be a leak on the intercooler.

Shall whip it off and see if it has any oil or water in as google seems to think its condensation from the hot/cold air ?? and youtube suggests drilling a small hole in the bottom of the intercooler yup drill a hole.

The leak (idea) does seem to fit in with my symtoms all good until you demand lots of turbo and it not being given enough air hence over fuel.

Old 27-03-17, 02:37 PM   #4

You can expect some oil in the cooler, but if it's flooded then you need to look into why.

My first thoughts were EGR, but it is a total stab in the dark without looking at what's going on in the car.

If the way forward for you is elimination, maybe it's worth giving the manifolds, turbo and oil feed, egr, cat etc. a good once over.

Do you know if the van has a DPF?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 27-03-17, 02:44 PM   #5

No dpf is there a way i can block the egr just to test ?
Old 27-03-17, 02:52 PM   #6

You can unplug the EGR, but it might throw on the EML and put it in limp mode

Old 27-03-17, 02:57 PM   #7

will try it any thoughts on blanking the egr off full time good idea bad idea ?
Old 27-03-17, 06:43 PM   #8

Pulled wires of egr and it drove better than it ever has also no smoke at all so i guess it needs a clean out.

Edit took the egr off and the pin was rather stiff to move but after 10 mins in the sink with washing up liquid and some elbow grease i have it moving rather free.

Last edited by martins-place; 27-03-17 at 10:34 PM.
Old 22-04-17, 02:06 PM   #9
Inactive User

I have the same problem nearly, black smoke under load, surging, poor fuel economy, I took some advice to unclip wires to mass air flow which I did and black smoke stopped, however this didnt mean the mass air flow was the problem as I changed it for a new one and its back to the black smoke, may try the egr valve either clean or block it off, how do I get to it please any help appreciated
paned is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 22-04-17, 02:32 PM   #10

i put a new egr in and smoke stopped but still had turbo issues so put a blanking plate in and all perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in