sticky handbrake return - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By E7 58reg
  • 1 Post By E7 58reg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-12-14, 03:52 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default sticky handbrake return

hi just wondering if anyone has had or having the same issue im having. my handbrake lever goes loose when i check underneath at the rear drivers side i noticed the cable return wasnt returning all the way as soon as i touched it with a hammer it returned but when i pull the handbrake again it stickes iv tried soaking it in dw40 and then grease but still no joy was thinking the spring might need replaced but was wondering if it might be something else the same thing happende around this time last year ended up costing me a new caliper and disc and a couple of pipes as it ended up causeing the brakes to bind. would a new or larger spring help? its a peugeot expert E7 taxi on an 08 plate
bubba ho-tep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-12-14, 04:46 PM   #2

Prob the road salt getting into it and causing it to seize. Easiest fix is just replace the cable on the side that's sticking. Last one I bought recently was around the 30 quid mark.
E7 58reg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 29-12-14, 05:18 PM   #3
Inactive User

Default what cable

hi should i do the front and that side or just the cable going to the disc?

Old 29-12-14, 05:24 PM   #4

I'd just do the one going to the disc and see how that goes. The front cable is a dear bugger, around the 70 quid I think that it's unlikely it's the culprit. Mine is an 58 plate and it seems on mine anyway that it's only the offside rear cable that seizes. the nearside one and front one has been ok since I got the cab 5 years ago. I'm on my second to the offside rear. there's a sharp bend the way the cable is routed and I think that's a main cause of the problem.
FYI the nearside and offside rear cables are the same.
bubba ho-tep likes this.
Old 05-01-15, 07:03 PM   #5
Inactive User

Default sticky brake

ok so i have changed the rear cable 31 and a new set of pads plus one of the slidders was dry so it has been greased so heres hoping thats it sorted
Old 07-01-15, 07:16 PM   #6

Don't keep us in suspense, how did it go?
bubba ho-tep likes this.
Old 08-01-15, 03:44 AM   #7
Inactive User

Default sticky breaks

ok so its now been a couple of days on the 1st day after a short amount of use the handbrake was still going loose and i still had to go under taxi and free the lever. now after the second day there is still a tint amount of play on the handbrake but the lever is ok so far. will update again in a fw more days. iv got a feeling though that its more down to the slidders drying out than the cable or pads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in