Peugeot Partner 1.6 HDi (90 BHP) - Faulty Sensor? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By condi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-12-12, 11:01 PM   #1
Inactive User

Question Peugeot Partner 1.6 HDi (90 BHP) - Faulty Sensor?

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster

I own a 2007 reg Peugeot Parnter 1.6 HDi (90 BHP). Excellent van, smooth driving, plenty of oomph and easy on juice - even in rural Ireland

I have a problem creeping up this past few weeks. When I'm driving along, a STOP warning light appears flashing and the 3 audible beeps sound. However, it usually disappears after 30 - 60 seconds. At first, I would pull over and stop the engine but I could never find an issue. All fluids (oil, water, etc...) are plentiful, no heat problems - nothing. Even when the STOP light appears, the engine continues running as normal and doesn't skip a beat. The light appears at random times, usually 20-30 minutes into a drive and then disappears after a short time. Also, the STOP warning seemed to coincide with the service countdown timer reaching the lower numbers (below 100) and the spanner appearing - however, this may just be coincidence.

To make a distinction, a number of months ago, I had the yellow Engine light coming on intermittently, which would put the van into Limp-Home Mode. Again, similar to the STOP light, there were no obvious issues and the van would return to normal after a short time (usually stop/starting the engine took it out of Limp-Home Mode and extinguished the light). This problem suddenly stopped happening and up until the STOP warning light appeared a few months later, the van was running without issue.

Today however, I was driving along (rather easy I must admit) when the STOP light appeared. I continued driving and all was well until ~5 minutes later when the engine just switched off! I pulled in to the road-side, checked all my fluid levels (all OK) and tried to start the engine. The engine turned but there was no firing, as in there was no "chugging" of combustion - which led me to think that an electronic control had stopped the fuel supply.I decided to reset the service countdown timer (as per the handbook) but to no avail. Time to call on the cousin, a qualified mechanic and diagnostics gear to hand

About an hour later, help arrived and the van started without issue (granted an injector seems to be puffing slightly - perhaps a bad seal). He plugged in the laptop and returned 4 errors (see below)

P1351 - We put down to a faulty heater plug as the van is sluggish and chuggy in the morning

P1462 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation fault. Not sure if this is causing an issue. Remember also, this model does not have a DPF

P1586 - We think this may have caused the engine cut-off. He checked the fuel pump, the attached sensor and inspected the wiring loom. No physical fault or damage detected. Back when the van was randomly going into Limp-Home Mode, I recall this error being present

P0001 - This appeared later on in the diagnostics so we aren't sure could it have caused the initial cut-off

He checked the pressure reading from the fuel-pump sensor and idling, the sensor returned ~280 Mbar. This climbed towards 1000 Mbar on revving the engine lightly. After a moment, he cleared all the codes and while the same 3/4 returned, the van was running as normal and I managed to drive it home.

____

So, is anyone familiar with this problem on the PSA 1600 HDi engine or can anyone help me diagnose the codes? I think myself there is an underlying fault in the fuel-system (Bosch) but my cousin advised me to establish as much as I can on the codes before considering replacing any fuel-system components.

Many thanks,

Condi
Attached Thumbnails
2012-12-23-20.36.55.jpg  
condi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-12-12, 11:22 PM   #2
davidireland

Dont worry about p1351. They're heater plugs failed. As regards others, the egr valves give trouble on them. Remove and clean first and go from there. As regarding stop lamp, make sure there is brake fluid in the reservoir. Especially the back of it. The pipe from the reservoir to the clutch master cyl leaks.

Sent from my GT-S5690
  Quick reply to this message
Old 23-12-12, 11:27 PM   #3
davidireland

Now that i look properly at these faults id reckon the egr valve is spiking and throwing these faults in. Disconnect it and drive. See if makes any difference.

Sent from my GT-S5690
  Quick reply to this message

Old 23-12-12, 11:41 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidireland View Post
Dont worry about p1351. They're heater plugs failed. As regards others, the egr valves give trouble on them. Remove and clean first and go from there. As regarding stop lamp, make sure there is brake fluid in the reservoir. Especially the back of it. The pipe from the reservoir to the clutch master cyl leaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidireland View Post
Now that i look properly at these faults id reckon the egr valve is spiking and throwing these faults in. Disconnect it and drive. See if makes any difference.
Hi David,

Many thanks for the reply,

It's strange you mention brake fluid as the brakes are not what they were lately and you're not the first to mention this to me. Will check the tanks in the morn (the power steering and brake reservoirs can be damn hard to open)

I'll post a pic in the morn of where I think the EGR valve is. I bough this van in from the UK and some pig had "worked" on the engine at some stage, with broken clips, loose wires and air hoses aplenty. I have a silver coloured ribbed pipe, about 6 inches in length running down from the head. AFAIK, the EGR valve is in or around here somewhere
Old 09-12-14, 06:41 PM   #5
Inactive User

Apologies for posting into an old thread but I just thought I'd close it out when I was back on the forum

Re. the van cutting out, this happened a few times after I put up the original post. I found that locking and unlocking the central locking would allow the van to start immediately after cut-out! In frustration, over the Christmas of 2012, I took out the EGR valve to clean it. To somewhat disappointment, it wasn't all that dirty at all but I gave it a good scrubbing all the same. Put it back in and the van didn't cut out ever since

Re. the STOP warning light - a faulty brake fluid level sensor believe it or not. By chance, I disconnected the connector at the bottom of the brake fluid reservoir one evening a few months later and that was the end of the STOP light flashing! I will include that my brake master cylinder suddenly failed a few months after this but it didn't cause any further issues

It was coincidence more than anything that a STOP warning and the engine cutting out appeared at the same time. Both issues seemed to be unrelated. I mentioned that the engine went into Limp-Home mode a few times before these issues appeared which I now think may have been the early warning signs of a troublesome EGR valve

Aside, I'm back almost 2 years after these issues appeared to look for an engine for the van (cracked head by the looks of it) so I just thought I'd close out these issues if anyone was experiencing similar

ATB,

C
Ramasesuk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in