Perpetually squeaky fanbelt - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-11-13, 06:44 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Perpetually squeaky fanbelt

The alternator and fanbelt was replaced on my Expert hdi last year after the alternator pulley gave way. Since then, the fanbelt has been squeaky..mainly when the engine is under load at low revs. I have replaced the automatic tensioner, the centre adjustable pulley and the fanbelt (all at separate times). After each replacement, the problem near as damnit disappears but starts to rear its head again after a week or two. I am at a loss as to what the problem could be. I don't know whether the belt is a bit loose as the van sounds loud when cold, gets a bit better when warm but is nearly silent when the belt is removed. Also, the fanbelt that was on last snapped after less than 6 months...does a squeaky belt lead to premature wear?

Any info would be great as though it's not a huge issue and I can largely avoid the squeak by keeping the revs up, it's been doing my head in for a while and it makes crawling along in traffic a noisy affair. Thanks chaps
wallwizard is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-11-13, 06:40 PM   #2
Inactive User

Nobody? What about the lower, fixed pulley? Can these cause a squeak whe =n they start to fail?
wallwizard is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 22-11-13, 06:48 PM   #3

We just fit a slightly shorter belt just ask suppliers for a belt slightly shorter 5-10mm harder to fit but this usually cures it for us.
reliable406 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 22-11-13, 09:37 PM   #4
Inactive User

Had a similar problem with a 306 diesel. Sprung loaded tensioner arm needed to be set on maximum tension to get rid of noise. Also had belt vibration / oscillation noise due to lack of tension at low revs. Shorter belt will help achieve this. Also, is there any oil contamination on the belt?
ddelectrical is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 24-11-13, 09:44 AM   #5
Inactive User

Are you 100% sure it is the actual belt?

Assuming the new belt was the correct fitment from a quality manufacturer, it could be one of the other pullies.

Had a similar problem on my XJ8.

They are bad for the idlers squeaking, but in my case, it was the water pump on its way out.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in