Partner yellow warning lamp comes on - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-06-14, 01:39 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Partner yellow warning lamp comes on

It's a 2.0 HDI, registered October 2002. Its problem is that the yellow warning lamp comes on and the engine loses power or cuts out completely. The fuel system appears to be Siemens, there's a manual squeezy rubber bulb for bleeding the system.

Its history of yellow lamp troubles goes back three or four years. I'd noticed that the engine speed could be variable, speeding up or slowing down for a constant accelerator pedal demand. Bumps in the road were often the cause of this. Try as I might, I could never find out what was causing this and I decided to leave it until it either became undriveable or something failed and I would be able (read actually have...) to trace the problem. This continued for well over a year as it wasn't too annoying. Then the yellow lamp started coming on and the vehicle went into limp home mode. Frequently, this would clear itself and I would be able to proceed as normal. Sometimes it required the ECU to be turned off and left for a period of time before things returned to normal. The upshot of this was that the ECU was setting a low pressure fuel fault and a new fuel filter sorted it out - mostly.

The engine speed up/slow down did continue though the effect was much less noticeable. All continued to be fine until a couple of weeks ago when the yellow lamp came on and this time it didn't go into limp home mode but lost power completely. I was able to restart it and continue but it flashed the lamp a couple of times after, again losing power. I did find that if I took my foot off the accelerator it would tend to put the lamp out again. There was nothing obvious that had failed, the fuel filter had only been in for 11,000 miles. What I did notice was the presence of air bubbles in the low pressure fuel feed to the fuel filter.

I struggled on with it for a day or two before getting it into my local garage. They read the faults as P1351 (glow plugs), P0704 (clutch switch hence irrelevant), P0402 (EGR flow incorrect), P0103 (air flow sensor) and P0336 (engine RPM sensor). Clearing these and cycling the ECU power showed it set EGR immediately, followed by the air flow sensor. They fitted a new air flow sensor and an EGR pressure solenoid. This cleared the faults but did not stop the yellow lamp coming on again sometime later with the associated complete loss of power. Another trip to the garage and they replaced the crank sensor as that fault had set again.

It's been to the garage three times now and they haven't been much help. All they do is read the codes out of the engine ECU and act on them.

Does anyone know what could be causing the yellow lamp to come on without having a fault code set? I did wonder if it was an emissions-related issue. There is air getting into the low pressure fuel lines still. When it's idling, I see the air going through and towards the pump but the engine never skips a beat. If air was the problem I'd expect an uneven idle and it to stall and be difficult to start; it always starts first turn of the key.

So, I'm baffled. Any ideas?

Finally, is there an easily available diagnostic tester that can read Peugeot commercial data? The one I bought, which claimed to read all cars after some particular date, will not communicate with this system. I did find out that whilst passenger cars had to conform to a standard, commercial vehicles did not until something like 2006.
Martin Smith is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-06-14, 03:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smith View Post
It's a 2.0 HDI, registered October 2002. Its problem is that the yellow warning lamp comes on and the engine loses power or cuts out completely. The fuel system appears to be Siemens, there's a manual squeezy rubber bulb for bleeding the system.

Its history of yellow lamp troubles goes back three or four years. I'd noticed that the engine speed could be variable, speeding up or slowing down for a constant accelerator pedal demand. Bumps in the road were often the cause of this. Try as I might, I could never find out what was causing this and I decided to leave it until it either became undriveable or something failed and I would be able (read actually have...) to trace the problem. This continued for well over a year as it wasn't too annoying. Then the yellow lamp started coming on and the vehicle went into limp home mode. Frequently, this would clear itself and I would be able to proceed as normal. Sometimes it required the ECU to be turned off and left for a period of time before things returned to normal. The upshot of this was that the ECU was setting a low pressure fuel fault and a new fuel filter sorted it out - mostly.

The engine speed up/slow down did continue though the effect was much less noticeable. All continued to be fine until a couple of weeks ago when the yellow lamp came on and this time it didn't go into limp home mode but lost power completely. I was able to restart it and continue but it flashed the lamp a couple of times after, again losing power. I did find that if I took my foot off the accelerator it would tend to put the lamp out again. There was nothing obvious that had failed, the fuel filter had only been in for 11,000 miles. What I did notice was the presence of air bubbles in the low pressure fuel feed to the fuel filter.

I struggled on with it for a day or two before getting it into my local garage. They read the faults as P1351 (glow plugs), P0704 (clutch switch hence irrelevant), P0402 (EGR flow incorrect), P0103 (air flow sensor) and P0336 (engine RPM sensor). Clearing these and cycling the ECU power showed it set EGR immediately, followed by the air flow sensor. They fitted a new air flow sensor and an EGR pressure solenoid. This cleared the faults but did not stop the yellow lamp coming on again sometime later with the associated complete loss of power. Another trip to the garage and they replaced the crank sensor as that fault had set again.

It's been to the garage three times now and they haven't been much help. All they do is read the codes out of the engine ECU and act on them.

Does anyone know what could be causing the yellow lamp to come on without having a fault code set? I did wonder if it was an emissions-related issue. There is air getting into the low pressure fuel lines still. When it's idling, I see the air going through and towards the pump but the engine never skips a beat. If air was the problem I'd expect an uneven idle and it to stall and be difficult to start; it always starts first turn of the key.

So, I'm baffled. Any ideas?

Finally, is there an easily available diagnostic tester that can read Peugeot commercial data? The one I bought, which claimed to read all cars after some particular date, will not communicate with this system. I did find out that whilst passenger cars had to conform to a standard, commercial vehicles did not until something like 2006.
your best bet would be get it on planet to read the codes have a look on here for planet map
trustme is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 21-06-14, 03:32 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks for the reply. I would have taken it to the local Pug agency but they were booked up until the coming Thursday.

Old 21-06-14, 03:40 PM   #4
Inactive User

Jesus, the problem has been going on for 3 or 4 years ?
steve18gls is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 21-06-14, 04:01 PM   #5
Inactive User

Not for 3 or 4 years. It's had the tendency to respond to bumps in the road by raising or lowering the engine speed so I'd notice that the van would accelerate or decelerate. That's been happening on and off for that period of time. It just wasn't that irritating that I felt obliged to do something about it.

However, maybe I should have paid more attention. Vibration suggests something loose or a blockage in a pipe that can move about. If you're old enough to remember SU carburettors, you may have found that the tiniest bit of rust could affect the float chamber inlet valve. A 1 inline paper filter before the carb fixed that problem easily enough.

I wonder if there's two or three problems at work however - air in fuel plus something else (I'll check the feed to the pump and blow back the line to the tank to see if that is clear).

However, I'm still interested in what could put on the yellow lamp without logging a fault in the ECU.
Old 21-06-14, 04:14 PM   #6
Inactive User

I would suggest as trust me said. Find someone on the map close to you with Peugeot planet
steve18gls is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 22-06-14, 05:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smith View Post
Not for 3 or 4 years. It's had the tendency to respond to bumps in the road by raising or lowering the engine speed so I'd notice that the van would accelerate or decelerate. That's been happening on and off for that period of time. It just wasn't that irritating that I felt obliged to do something about it.

However, maybe I should have paid more attention. Vibration suggests something loose or a blockage in a pipe that can move about. If you're old enough to remember SU carburettors, you may have found that the tiniest bit of rust could affect the float chamber inlet valve. A 1 inline paper filter before the carb fixed that problem easily enough.

I wonder if there's two or three problems at work however - air in fuel plus something else (I'll check the feed to the pump and blow back the line to the tank to see if that is clear).

However, I'm still interested in what could put on the yellow lamp without logging a fault in the ECU.
eml light on = fault, its just that the code reader you used was unable to read that fault that's why I suggested get it read on planet, why go to a dealer for this when there is plenty of people on here willing to do it a lot cheaper
trustme is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 22-06-14, 09:46 AM   #8

I agree planet can dig out fault codes others cannot I have the same type of vehicle although they are taxis but I have both planet and an autel handheld device the autel can clear codes it cannot see !!

What I mean there is sometimes I forget to connect something airflow meter for example and when I start the taxi this puts engine light on autel cannot see the fault I know the reason so just clear it

Engine light on means you DO have a fault stored but fault codes only tell you half the story you need to have a good look at live data while running to help pinpoint your issue

Oh and clutch switch IS relevant.
Old 22-06-14, 12:24 PM   #9

I have not even dared to run a live test yet just the static ones are giving me grief Slowly going through the things I find
Another forum member is coming over today more experienced with planet than I to sort some more issues
As the car is newish to me I have no idea what previous owners have done or even if they had it on Planet to delete /change things
If you ask a planet member to look at your car and pay 80 for any work its still cheaper than the dealers price for the diagnostic alone
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in