Overheat, blown gasket and warped block - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rustyroger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-12-14, 01:21 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Overheat, blown gasket and warped block

We are an Aussie couple stuck in Northern Argentina with a cooked 1.6hdi Expert. The peugeot dealership advises the head and block are warped "but if we go slowly" we can still drive the 200km to Mendoza. They will not do further work on the vehicle.

My question is: if the vehicle is still driveable are there things we can do to enhance the performance. Ie: get local guys to skim head and replace gasket or are we just throwing money down the drain?

Welcome any comments. Tim
Timleroy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-12-14, 02:22 PM   #2
Inactive User

Would have expected the head to Warp as aluminium but not a cast iron block. Would have thought that a head skim and gasket, as long as the liner height is ok, would have done the trick.

I am presuming the block is cast and the head is aluminium as I've not worked on this engine.

308 SW 2.0 HDI 136 FAP SE Dec 2009.
nickcc is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 22-12-14, 03:08 PM   #3
Inactive User

You don't say how you cooked the engine but I'm assuming you have sorted that problem first and if it was from lack of oil, there could be a heap of trouble elsewhere.
A head skim and appropriate new gasket would work, but wouldn't be a quick or cheap job.
Driving 200km would be a risk, especially if the gasket goes between cylinders.
I would be a bit concerned the Pug dealer would do no more work on it

Old 22-12-14, 03:28 PM   #4
Inactive User

Unfortunately it is an alum block. Peugeot dealer has little interest as 1. The care is registered in Chile, 2: it is nearly Xmas and they have few mechanics avail. Hence looking at alternatives.
Old 22-12-14, 06:29 PM   #5

If it is a coolant only issue IE it is simply getting too hot then I would fill a few large bottles of water keep the heater on full to draw heat from the engine and if the heat goes cold then stop for a water top up but what is your ultimate goal do you only need to travel 200km ?

If its only 200k then I personally would take my time and risk it as damage is already done and as long as you don't keep overheating it it will keep going avoid any hard climbs or busy low speed roads and it should make it.

Dealers like to hit you with worse case scenario but to be honest even a head gasket is a time consuming job on these !!
Old 22-12-14, 07:36 PM   #6
Inactive User

Thanks very much for your input. Dealer has taken the head off and confirmed block is warped. Their policy is that they can only install a new engine which is simply not worth the $US10,000 for the vehicle. They also can't put a new engine into a Chilean vehicle.

The drive 200k option is also not available as the head is now off.

So, as a final update, the car will be towed tomorrow to another mechanic who will see if it is possible to restore the block. Hopefully this is possible as it was "only" a coolant issue, not oil. If so we will head to Buenos Aires for some tango and wait the 3 weeks for the repair. If not, we walk away and hope the spares go to a good home.

Living in a tent starting to look good.
Old 22-12-14, 09:44 PM   #7

Ok if the head is already off and not cracked then a decent independent mechanic should be able to sort it out without a new engine the hard work is now done .

Dealers generally do not FIX things you need someone who fixes engines rather than fits parts dealers generally just want to fit new parts.

If it has just overheated then I recon it can be fixed only problem you may have is now its apart the poor guy taking on the job may not know how it goes back together
Old 22-12-14, 10:25 PM   #8
Inactive User

Thanks reliable406. That is encouraging news. Fortunately one of the dealer mechs has offered to help with the process. This country is simply amazing for the number of people who will happily help out a stranger.
Old 23-12-14, 11:02 AM   #9

I don't know if this old trick will work on a modern engine, but when I was stuck out in the Boonies years ago I fixed a warped (iron) head by lapping it to the block face with valve grinding paste. The engine lasted another couple of years neglect and abuse before a big end failed.

Roger.
Timleroy likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in