MPG gone down?? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-09-16, 07:28 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default MPG gone down??

Hi folks.
2.0HDi Expert van, year 2001
Last week my EML came on. On Motorway at 65mph, moved out to overtake a lorry, hit 70mph & judder, EML came on, but didn't go into limp.
Ran fine too, if lacking a little power. puzzled over this as running fine.
Was only when I was rooting about in engine bay I came across a pipe laying under the air box. This came from a black plastic larger pipe (looked like a screw in connector) going from the top of the engine to the bottom somewhere (air I assume as with the engine running a little "putt-putt" of air was puffing out on tickover).
Noticed a sensor under the air filter box, so felt about (you cant see under there!) & nothing was connected to the tube bit.
So, pushed this pipe I found on it.
Was going to garage next morning to have code reader plugged in, (24 miles later) when the EML light switched itself off!!
Garage said it had reset itself, but if it came back on, pop in & they would read the fault.
All good then, although it does seem to be using more diesel than usual (any ideas on that one??).
So...A) light rest itself 24 miles later, B) my local garage would read codes for free, C) took 24 miles for EML to reset itself. D) some things are out of sight!.
Thought I would just share the info in case anyone is having the same problem.
I live near Ely Cambridgeshire & would send anyone to the garage I use. Proper mechanics, not rip off guys, independant, can do ANYTHING.
Little garage in Soham called "Robbies" if you want a recommendation.
BikerBill is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-09-16, 12:22 PM   #2

The ECU may have detected a fault, and stored it in it's memory as "intermittent". If the same fault appears on the next journey, it will become "permanent" and the EML may come on.

If, however, the fault then goes away of it's own accord or you have fixed the problem, it'll reset back to temporary. If it stays away, the fault will remain stored in the ECU, but no longer an active issue and the EML may go out.

The little pipe could be a vacuum pipe, it's probably best looking for the component it connects to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 23-09-16, 03:58 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks for that.
The little pipe puffed air on tickover.
It runs from a pressed plastic moulded pipe which runs down the engine next to the air filter housing, then the little pipe runs off it to a sensor under the air filter housing.
Seems to have cured the problem anyway.
Thinking about it now, I must have popped it off when I took the air intake pipes off to change the starter motor.

All seems fine though, just thought someone out there with a similar problem may well not notice that sensor underneath.If the pipe is off, (and the pipe is only about 6 inches long) may be a cure for someone else.

Incidently, now that pipe is back on, goes like merry hell!!!

Last edited by BikerBill; 23-09-16 at 04:00 PM. Reason: missed info
BikerBill is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in