Heater Fan Resistor and using electrically conductive grease.. what do people think? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise


Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-17, 09:57 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wild West
Posts: 59
Default Heater Fan Resistor and using electrically conductive grease.. what do people think?

Hi,
I must first say that I am no expert, but I do own an Expert Tepee!
My problem has been a common one apparently, that the heater fan resistor connections are failing and causing the fan to only work on maximum. They are in a sorry state having overheated and slightly melted due I suppose to high resistance in the connections.
I cleaned them up and despite the condition the heater worked again for a short time.
I had followed a thread on the forum under the Van section that was very helpful but I wondered if there was a way to increase the life of this part by using some electrical conductive grease, in my imagination it was copper grease.
Actually on further investigation copper grease is not good.
My main worry was that it was a crazy idea as the grease might melt with heat and conduct electricity everywhere shorting things out.
I am about to replace the connector on my resistor now and am thinking again about the idea.
So I am raising this topic for discussion.
Apparently conductive grease is used a lot to prevent corrosion which would cause exactly the problem we experience all the time with heater resistor connections, I am not sure what they are made of but they break down and do not conduct effectively after a while.
One place the grease is often used is battery terminals.
This is also one place where the plus and minus is far apart...
So does little to calm my worries about shorting out.
But from what I read the grease is not conductive, and is used very sparingly, purely to stop the corrosion.
Here is a link to some reading on one of the many manufacturers websites:
Electrical Contact Lubricant - Conductive Electrical Grease | Sanchem, Inc.
So, any thoughts on this subject please?
Rollercoast is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-05-17, 07:44 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Barnet, Herts
Posts: 1,046
Default

If I had the special grease I would use it on high amp terminals like relay pins in a situation where they might get damp, eg engine compartment.
Having said that the fan on our 807 packed up 8 years ago and the cure was to pull and push the large connecting plugs inside the fan off and on a few times and it's worked ever since.
wynb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:11 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.