Expert hdi temperamental - do I need new barrel? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-08-12, 08:06 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Expert hdi temperamental - do I need new barrel?

Since I got this van, it has had a minor niggle I knew about from the start...you have to push the key in quite hard before turning to get it to fire. Over the last couple of days this problem has become more pronounced, to the point where I have to put my weight behind it to get it to work, and I'm a strong lad!
Took the steering wheel shroud/cover off and can see no obvious problems, took the little collar off which I assume is the immobiliser and held it right next to the key but still no joy. I can also hear the fuel pump doing something for about 10 seconds when I turn the key so I don't think it's immobiliser related.

Do I need a new barrel? If so, is it a DIY job (4.5/10 skill level!!)
Could I just take the chip out of my current key, put it into the new key and be on my way? Cheers
wallwizard is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-08-12, 09:36 AM   #2
Inactive User

It gets better...just took it to an auto electrics place and it started first time without pushing the key hard. I've never known it do this! Seems fine now so must be when it's cold, guy just tested glow plugs and says they're fine though. Even so the glow plug light doesn't seem to stay on long so I wonder if that is the problem? Going to have to wait for it to cool down now before I can investigate further.

I hope it's not a fecking pump or something!
Old 29-08-12, 01:00 PM   #3

Hdi glow plug light , what you have decribed is normal operation.
It sounds more like the ignition key / barrel is worn and could do with replacing.
mastertech is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-12, 09:24 PM   #4
Inactive User

Working fine now, almost dare say better than it was before. Bloody thing!
Old 30-11-12, 08:34 PM   #5
Inactive User

It went again! Wouldn't start for love nor money, and it was a bloody cold morning. RAC chap came out, he was pretty useless tbh. After an hour and several cigarettes/coffees later he'd tried cranking and cranking and cranking, jumping the glow plug relay, easy start, nothing !Eventually I took the shroud off around the ignition and pulled the immobiliser sleeve thingy up closer towards the key. First turn of the key, it fires. The RAC chap was gutted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in