Engine over revving - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-05-15, 06:02 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Engine over revving

Hi,

New to the forums. Signed up as cannot find an answer to a mechanical problem that has been bugging me for a few weeks now.

Every time I start my van in the morning it usually takes a little while before it kicks into life. After a few minutes of driving when I put my foot on the clutch to change gear or when I am sitting at the lights or a junction the engine seems to rev quite high. High enough for it to be sat at around 2-3000 revs.

Just wandering what would cause this and is it a common problem

I drive a 1.9 2002 Peugeot Partner 600L

Thanks for your help

Chris
CD1199 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-05-15, 07:58 AM   #2
Inactive User

It could be the mechanism on the pump is a little sticky, in which case a drop of oil might do the trick. Otherwise maybe the cable is sticking, in which case oil might help but more often than not they're frayed and need replacing.
heraldsteve is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 19-05-15, 08:40 AM   #3
Inactive User

Hi,

It never fails to plug it in before delving into the engine.

having said that it could be related to your throttle body (butterfly valve) these tend to get gunked up and sticky. This could be sticking closed when you start the engine (starving the engine of air) and sticking open when running (causing over revving)

They can be tricky to access sometimes but if you can, I'd recommend a tin of carb cleaner, an old toothbrush and a clean rag.

But really, plugging it in is the best place to start as it can save a lot of faffing around.

Old 19-05-15, 01:04 PM   #4
edd
Inactive User

My dad had renault that done this also, we as spanner said looked it up and it pointed towards the throttle body, but after replacing all the seals and checking and cleaning it , it still did not fix it, my dad put it into renault and thay said it was the alternator over charging, may be worth seeing what the out put voltage is on you alternator also.
edd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 22-05-15, 10:37 AM   #5
Inactive User

Ok cheers for your advice. I will take a look at the cable and throttle body. I'm not amazing with mechanics so if its none of them i'll take it over to peugeot and get them to do a check on it. Will let you all know what happens and what they say for future reference on this site
CD1199 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in