E7 engines replaced in last week. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-11-14, 11:51 AM   #1

Default E7 engines replaced in last week.

Just heard of two E7s in Glasgow have had replacement engines in the past week. One a 10 plate with 160k and the other a 09 plate with 180k. The 10 plate went into Allied and verdict was a dropped valve so a new engine and 5,500 later it's back on the road. The 09 plate had same verdict had a 2nd hand engine fitted that has done 55k, bill was 2400 by a local garage. Now my question is....what's this with dropping valves. As I see it the only way a valve can drop is if the collets break up and allow the valve to drop out. Now I've never heard of this on any engines I've owned or worked on. My own E7 has just turned the 180k and am wondering if this is on the cards for me. I would have suspected that it was more likely to be a broken timing belt but I will stand corrected if this dropped valve thing is common on pugs. 180k isn't exactly high mileage on a diesel :-(
Anyone?????

Last edited by E7 58reg; 27-11-14 at 12:59 PM.
E7 58reg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-11-14, 07:25 PM   #2

We had 2 older engines with dropped valves and know of others it happened to but I thought they had sorted it in the later engine obviously not !!

Its not something that happens to them all or indeed something you can prevent.
Old 28-11-14, 02:00 AM   #3
Inactive User

My E7 had a simalar thing this year with the same verdict. I insisted the engine got pulled out and the top part of the head pulled apart without taking the head off. I made sure i was present. Turned out to be 2 lifters and 2 cam shims had broke off. 40 parts, 600 labour and alot of garage grumbling

Some places dont want the hassel.

Hope you kept the engines, it might be worth having a peak.
jimbo634 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 28-11-14, 08:22 AM   #4

Hmmmmm but what made me thinking that in at least one case the belt had broken was that the cab shuddered to a halt. Would that be the case if 2 lifters had broke? I would have thought that in that case the engine would at least still run albeit on 2/3 cylinders?
Old 28-11-14, 12:09 PM   #5

Rockers can actually make the valves drop on the older engine due to wear they actually push the valve cap down enough to loosen the collets they were redesigned to prevent this and I know the newer engines have the redesigned type

Dropped valves do not necessarily mean a new engine one of ours we stripped it down and the valve was being pushed up and down with the piston but did not fall in so it was an easy fix and got refitted to another cab later
Old 29-11-14, 07:32 AM   #6
Inactive User

I rebuild a lot of these engines and find that the top of the exhaust valves take a battering ,inlet valves dont,the valve top then wears through the rocker arm and hits the valve collet cap and causes the valve to drop.
colinrtn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 19-07-15, 01:51 PM   #7

Unhappy My turn now.....

Well now it's my turn. Last night cab shuudered to a halt. Wouldn't start, it was as if the battery was flat but it wasn't. Turns out engine is seized solid and won't even turn if you put it in 4th gear and rock it back and forth. Looks like it's terminal as I was doing 40 mph plus when it happened. 195K on the clock. Obviously still a weak point on these engines.
Waiting for guy to get back to me with replacement engine. Seems he supplies low mileage S/H ones fitted for circa 2.5K. Good thing is he does it in a couple of days. Allied want 5.5K for a new short engine fitted and they take a week. I know some of you will say get it stripped down but time is of the essence and the way the engine is locked solid doesn't look good. I could get my local garage to strip it but then they tell me it's knackered and have to take it to the "guy" anyway. Ho hum
Will keep you posted
Old 19-07-15, 02:03 PM   #8

I have an engine 89000 miles bring it to me in bonnybridge I can have it done in 4 days tops fully serviced new belt 1200
salster and E7 58reg like this.
Old 19-07-15, 04:47 PM   #9

Can you call me

Last edited by E7 58reg; 20-07-15 at 11:26 AM.
Old 19-07-15, 04:51 PM   #10

e758reg you will not find a cheaper price than 406, i done one a few months ago and it cost 600 for a 75k c4 engine alone. i have found that if you fit a set of new rockers at 150k you should see 300k. rockers and 10k oil changes are a god send to these engines. service history say 20k oil change. no chance
salster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in