After windscreen replaced, BSI unit found soaked - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bettyswollocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-04-12, 12:16 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default After windscreen replaced, BSI unit found soaked

Hi there, 1st post, apologies in advance for any faux pas

After a stone hit the windscreen and a large crack appeared, Autoglass replaced the windscreen on my '04 petrol 1.6lt, a few days later in the rain with the bonnet under the edge of the roof of a low barn. The back end of the vehicle was exposed to the rain, running down the roof towards the front. On next driving it with new w/screen, the wipers would come on for 1 pass when turning a corner. 5 days later the engine turns over but won't start and the electrics are behaving oddly; lights on, wipers etc. The RAC man finds the BSI unit has water inside it. No previous problems in the 3 years I have owned this low mileage vehicle.

Autoglass inspect their work and claim that they are not responsible, that it is a design fault in that the protective plastic tubing surrounding the BSI unit cabling (to be found underneath the wiper guard on the driver's side) is not sealed (the tubing is not a sealed tube, it is wrapped around the cabling with a gap where the two ends meet) and that water has been channelled down into the BSI unit via the protective tubing, that it could have happened at any time, and that it is just a coincidence that the windsceen was changed days before, in the rain.

I'm hoping the garage will manage to get BSI unit repaired (up to 250?) and that I will not need a new one programmed (600?), but can anyone offer any advice? Is Autoglass responsible? My theory is that when changing windscreen, with the windscreen guards off, rain has indeed run down into that protective cabling and perhaps the BSI unit, but that Autoglass should have taken more care to keep the area dry and are therefore responsible. Can this really be a design fault that could occur at any time?

The garage tell me there is no sign of water ingress inside the vehicle when hosing the windows, doors etc and that the BSI unit is well sealed inside the vehicle but possibly vulnerable to water running down the 'protective' tubing carrying the cabling.
Thundertron is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-04-12, 04:47 PM   #2

BSI from peugeot configured is 360 , bought one recently
Gibbo likes this.
bettyswollocks is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 19-04-12, 07:02 PM   #3
Inactive User

the wires themselves are protected by insulation, as you may well know. for the water to effect the wires in such a way it would have had to be happening for some time.

my ford has a known problem, with a cheap easy fix. basically on all the ECU alternator wires are wrapped with a plastic tubing, it is known for water to get inside and corrode the insulation and eventually the wires...bringing the charge warning light on.

typical fix is to either put a new wire in, or strip and solder the effected part. then seal ends of the plastic using silicone or grease.

john_h is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 19-04-12, 08:38 PM   #4
davidireland

Seen this a few times. It comes in the bottom/side of the windscreen after fitting.

Last edited by davidireland; 19-04-12 at 08:42 PM.
  Quick reply to this message
Old 20-04-12, 09:13 AM   #5

Did you pay Autoglass on your credit card? If so raise the issue with your card supplier.
Old 20-04-12, 02:40 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidireland View Post
Seen this a few times. It comes in the bottom/side of the windscreen after fitting.
Does this make you think that the w/screen fitter is responsible?
Old 20-04-12, 02:45 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_h View Post
the wires themselves are protected by insulation, as you may well know. for the water to effect the wires in such a way it would have had to be happening for some time.

my ford has a known problem, with a cheap easy fix. basically on all the ECU alternator wires are wrapped with a plastic tubing, it is known for water to get inside and corrode the insulation and eventually the wires...bringing the charge warning light on.

typical fix is to either put a new wire in, or strip and solder the effected part. then seal ends of the plastic using silicone or grease.
I don't think there is evidence that the wires inside the hard plastic 'protective' tubing are corroded or their insulation is compromised, it's just that water ran down the outside of them into the bsi unit.

Before the new/repaired unit is installed I shall apply some silicone to properly close up the protective tubing around the wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in