2002 Partner 2.0HDI Coolant Leak/Loss - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gibbo
  • 1 Post By trustme

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-14, 10:20 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default 2002 Partner 2.0HDI Coolant Leak/Loss

Hi Guys,
I bought a 52 plate Partner a few days ago, Shes pretty clean and straight and has only covered just under 60k.
When driving it back on the 50 mile trip back home the coolant level light flickered, So a quick Google when i got in and cleaned the coolant level prongs up and topped it up as this is what i thought could of been causing it.
A couple days later i had to do a 350 mile trip in it to Bournemouth and back to Gloucestershire to pick up a full roof rack for it, And on my way home it started to flicker again!!
So its something more that the coolant level sensor as it is actually loosing coolant, on the 350 mile trip it lost around 1/2 litre (500ml).
I can't see anywhere where it could be leaking from around the hoses, header tanks etc, Although the top of the radiator doesn't look the best, And i have not been able to look at the bottom of the radiator yet.
The header tank isn't pressurizing, There is no white smoke/ steam coming from the exhaust, No oil or water contamination/mixing and the van drives absolutely perfect, No lumpiness, missing or holding back etc.
There is no paper work to say the timing belt or water pump have been changed, So i am planing on doing this in the next 2 weeks, As it could be the water pump leaking a little bit, And i will do it for peace of mind anyhow.
But i have seen on here and other sites that people have had problems with the head gaskets on these engines.
Could it also be possible that the head gasket is failing and i should think about fitting a new head gasket whilst i am doing the water and timing belt?
Or should i just try fitting the water pump and timing belt first and see if this cures the leak?
Many thanks for taking the time to read this, And any other suggestions welcome.
Advertisement

Old 02-05-14, 10:32 AM   #2

Try a new cap for the expansion tank, they do fail over time and coolant escapes as steam.

If there's no history of a coolant change, I'd do that, ensuring all bleed valves are opened.

Only other area to check is passenger footwell in case its the heater matrix.
leeandstaz likes this.
Old 02-05-14, 10:42 AM   #3
Inactive User

I gave it a good hoover out inside yesterday had the seats etc out, The carpet didn't feel wet, I will pop outside now and lift the passengers side carpet and check for water/damp and report back. Thanks

Old 02-05-14, 11:22 AM   #4
Inactive User

OK so pulled the passengers side carpet up, Its like a brand new van under there, Looks like its never been up before, There is no sign or feel of any damp let alone wet/water. So this rules out heater matrix then?
I should also mention the heater blows hot and cold as it should do, And the temperature gauge has never gone above half way (Sometimes it never gets as far as that).
Old 02-05-14, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeandstaz View Post
Hi Guys,
I bought a 52 plate Partner a few days ago, Shes pretty clean and straight and has only covered just under 60k.
When driving it back on the 50 mile trip back home the coolant level light flickered, So a quick Google when i got in and cleaned the coolant level prongs up and topped it up as this is what i thought could of been causing it.
A couple days later i had to do a 350 mile trip in it to Bournemouth and back to Gloucestershire to pick up a full roof rack for it, And on my way home it started to flicker again!!
So its something more that the coolant level sensor as it is actually loosing coolant, on the 350 mile trip it lost around 1/2 litre (500ml).
I can't see anywhere where it could be leaking from around the hoses, header tanks etc, Although the top of the radiator doesn't look the best, And i have not been able to look at the bottom of the radiator yet.
The header tank isn't pressurizing, There is no white smoke/ steam coming from the exhaust, No oil or water contamination/mixing and the van drives absolutely perfect, No lumpiness, missing or holding back etc.
There is no paper work to say the timing belt or water pump have been changed, So i am planing on doing this in the next 2 weeks, As it could be the water pump leaking a little bit, And i will do it for peace of mind anyhow.
But i have seen on here and other sites that people have had problems with the head gaskets on these engines.
Could it also be possible that the head gasket is failing and i should think about fitting a new head gasket whilst i am doing the water and timing belt?
Or should i just try fitting the water pump and timing belt first and see if this cures the leak?
Many thanks for taking the time to read this, And any other suggestions welcome.
if it was the head gasket then the water would bubble you can get the engine pressure tested and there is a tool that you can put on the water to check as well
leeandstaz likes this.
trustme is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-14, 11:33 AM   #6
Inactive User

Thanks for the reply, As i say the engine is running spot on, I can leave it running for hours and it wouldn't boil over, I have good mechanical knowledge as i do motor sport and put my own engines together, So fixing it wouldn't be a problem.... Its finding the problem first lol.
But looking for other peoples opinions and experiences to point me in the right direction before making a start.
It would be a pain in the rear to do the water pump and belt, Then to have to undo it all again to do head gasket.
I'm hoping once a new pump and belts fitted it will be OK, I will also have a look on eBay for a new expansion cap. Its not going to be long before its going to need a new radiator by the looks of it either.
Old 02-05-14, 12:00 PM   #7
Inactive User

Couple of quick pics of the van from when i first bought it, Its had a clean now, And ive bought some 306 xsi alloys to go on it once there refurbished;

Corroded radiator;

Expansion bottle;

Could the white on the rubber by the expansion cap be where steam has been escaping? Or is this normal?
Old 02-05-14, 09:18 PM   #8
Inactive User

Anyone know where the locking point is for the crank/ flywheel?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in