1999 Expert Van lighter socket - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-08-16, 09:54 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 1999 Expert Van lighter socket

The lighter socket adjacent the gearlever stopped working. Fuse blown and smell of hot electrics from the socket. The socket or wiring has a short circuit as a new fuse blows when the ignition is turned on even when no device plugs or lighter element are plugged in. Checked and confirmed short circuit with D.M.Meter

How is the lighter socket removed?

When the ashtray is removed a plastic piece, rather key shaped, is visible. It engages with something hidden behind the ashtray surround. Moving it seemed to disconnect something but the ashtray surround is still held in place

There are two torx screws holding down a piece of plastic to the left side of the gear lever boot retaining frame. I will remove those tomorrow to see if that releases the right hand end of the ashtray surround. This surround covers the top edge of the lighter socket.

The only other visible screws I have found are two partly hidden behind the hinged edge of the ashtray cover flap. All my torx drivers are short bits in a hex screwdriver, too thick to go through the gap. It seems from the limited view through the gap that these retain the suround to the heater slides.

Anybody know how this lighter socket should be removed?
Misted is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-08-16, 11:39 AM   #2

Have you checked that nothing metallic has fell inside the socket. Even a bit of silver paper can cause a short.
E7 58reg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-16, 02:38 PM   #3
Inactive User

Hello and thanks for the thought.

I did have a good look and poke about with a torch and found one of the four plastic ribs from the bottom of the socket broken off but nothing that could short it out.

The damage was caused when my better half plugged her phone charger in and, when it did not light up twisted it 90 degrees. We heard the fuse blow and smelt hot plastic. I stuck my finger in the socket and found it uncomfortably hot!

I cannot see what caused it to fuse or any reason why it should be short circuited. Maybe insulation on the wires feeding the socket has been melted. Do hope not as that could be a pain to fix.

The handbook says 10amp fuse but the one that blew was 15 amps..... don't know who fitted that or why.

Haven't got round to removing those 2 screws I mentioned above yet, been busy elsewhere!

Will report back when I get some more info. Thanks for your interest.
Misted is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in