1.6 hdi p1351 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-01-15, 12:17 PM   #1
Inactive User

Post 1.6 hdi p1351

Hi guys,

I put in the computer in my van and came up with code p1351 glow plug, glow plug relay, I have read the glow plugs are needed for the regeneration cycle on dpf. So I deleted the codes and took the van for a run on motorway done about 90 miles average speed of 70/80 mph. Pluged in computer after run no codes showing up. So I took this as a good sign...!

At what speed etc does the regeneration cycle take place etc???

Thank you

Moh1
moh1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-01-15, 04:26 PM   #2
Inactive User

Default P1351

Hi guys

Just went out to my van today plugged in obd to see any codes back up with pending p1351..cleared code took van for a run checked no codes.
So p1351 comes and goes. This is confusing me! Please can you shed some light on this matter..???

any advice please

Thank you

Moh
Old 18-01-15, 04:56 PM   #3

If a glow plug is on the way out this will eventually become a permanent fault. However if you are doing long motorway miles the dpf will still regen passively so the ecu won't need to intervene and turn on the glow plugs. I would still look at getting the plugs tested/sorted though.
Eccles is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 18-01-15, 07:02 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles View Post
If a glow plug is on the way out this will eventually become a permanent fault. However if you are doing long motorway miles the dpf will still regen passively so the ecu won't need to intervene and turn on the glow plugs. I would still look at getting the plugs tested/sorted though.
Hi thank very much.

Is there any way of testing glow plugs before changing them?
Also any diagram or information on how to change them please ??

Thank you

Moh
Old 18-01-15, 08:03 PM   #5

Firstly, have they been changed before? If not then how many miles are on the engine? If there's a fair few (80k miles for example) then I'd say it's worth changing all the plugs anyway.
If you want to test them then you will need and multimeter to measure the resistance between each plug terminal and earth. I believe they are wired is series so if one is dead none will energise.
General advice with the 1.6hdi is to change all the plugs if 1 is defective. This is because the plugs are located at the back of the engine and are annoying and time cosuming to get out.
Basic method is to ensure you have a deep socket (13mm I think, don't use a Halfords Pro one, they will not fit due to internal bevel) and get the engine as warm as you can (you will be working from the top so don't want it red hot!).
Disconnect the battery following the usual procedure.
Remove the top engine cover.
Undo and remove to one side the wiring across the top of the engine.
Unclip and remove the egr to manifold pipe (bottom clip is a pain to get back on).
Check you have the right replacement glow plugs, there are ones with push and screw fit terminals, some hdi's use one type and some the other).
Hopefully the engine is still warm, this will help get the plugs out as they can be stubborn (google for reports of snapped plugs).
Slowly loosen of each plug in turn with the socket starting with the right one as it's the easiest.
If you are lucky the plug will just unscrew and lift out with little resistance.
If resistance is felt screw backwards and forwards to loosen but make sure an pressure applied is straight down, a couple of plugs on mine took 20 minutes each of careful persuasion).
4th plug is the hardest as the is a lot in the way so a good torch is handy.
Fit the new plugs, don't overtightened, just a little more than finger tight, check Haynes for torque.
Reconnect wiring harness and the rest is in reverse.
If all went OK and you have a p1351 permanent fault it should now clear on starting.
Ginger Magic and moh1 like this.
Old 18-01-15, 08:12 PM   #6
Ginger Magic

Hi, just to be a bit cheeky - have you checked the relay itself?

Its easier to swap over and may fix the fault.

By all means use Eccles excellent guide for the glowplugs if you want, but it may just be the relay.
moh1 likes this.
  Quick reply to this message
Old 18-01-15, 08:22 PM   #7

True. Rarely at fault but easily accessible. It sits on the outside front of the engine fuse box/ecu housing. Was just thinking that the intermittent nature probably wasn't the relay.
Just checked the glow plug torque and it's 10Nm/7lbf ft.
Old 19-01-15, 11:04 PM   #8
Inactive User

Thanks eccles for your advice really means alot as you have given detailed information.

I have been given a company car recently so my van only gets used on weekends on short journeys but I like to take it for a blast time to time so the dpf does not get blocked. As I have read on here you need glow plugs to run the regeneration cycle.

See how I get on....cheers
Old 20-01-15, 07:25 AM   #9

Try some electrical contact cleaner in the relay connector.
Old 20-01-15, 09:16 AM   #10

Not trying to be a smart arse but glow plugs are not wired in series there is no way you could wire in series they are wired in parallel but in some engines it is 2 parallel pairs.

Basically if you could wire in series 1 failing would indeed kill the others but in parallel they can fail individually but others will still work.

Glow plug faults are nearly always present on HDIs it only becomes a problem if the regens don't happen.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in