Peugeot Forums banner

1.6 hdi Engine has a loud ticking

10K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  BenzinaBrera 
#1 ·
I have an Expert van with a 1.6 hdi engine that has a heavy ticking noise that seems to be coming from the inlet manifold area. Injector seals have all been replaced, as have hydraulic tappets. Have done a leak down test on injectors and had 90ml on cylinder 1 and 4 and 75ml on cylinder 2 and 3. Only fault codes are regarding glow plugs, as I am not getting any glow plug light.

#2 ·
Im no diesel expert but i know usually a ticking is one of 2 things. Valve lifters or injectors.

It might just be dirty injectors and a good quality injector cleaner with a proper freeway run might do it some good.

Or perhaps its almost due for a service. Fresh oil that is the right spec ofcourse for the engine helps lifters build better pressure and then their a bit more silent.

Out of experience wit my own 1.6 hdi i also notice the ticking is sometimes louder but then after i take it on a proper run ie. Constant run in the middle of the night of about 80mph + for 120km long then she runs smooth as butter under the hood. Especially if i treated her to some liqui moly pro line diesel system cleaner.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.