Winter tyres. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > MPVs > Traveller
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-18, 07:12 PM   #1

Default Winter tyres.

I have started the journey to fit winter wheels and tyres on my car.

Mine came as standard with 17 inch wheels, so I wanted to stay the same diameter. I have been looking for aftermarket steel rims and have been struggling to get something with the same dimensions, with most rims having a slightly different offset or are rated for lower weights.

In the end I plucked up courage and went to the main dealer and soon realised that I had been wasting my time looking elsewhere. Almost incredibly, a set of factory Peugeot/Citroen original steel 17 inch wheels with the correct offset and load are cheaper than those from the aftermarket at an unbelievable 53 each. I got my debit card out so fast I dropped it !

Next I need to order the tyres. 101 load rated 225/55 R17 are what are needed and I haven't quite made my mind up whether to go for Dunlop Wintersport 5 or Goodyear Ultragrip Performance Gen 2. I will start looking at deals shortly.

No need to worry about pressure sensing valves as the car doesn't use them, so that is another less complication to worry about and a wad of cash saved.

Last edited by Yobbo; 06-10-18 at 07:43 PM.
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-18, 08:14 AM   #2

Hi Yobbo,

I couldn't be bothered with changing and storing wheels and tyres so I went down the cross climate tyre route. I have to say I'm mighty impressed with the Michelin CrossClimate+. A bit expensive but I'm happy I'm getting the best of both worlds.
I've just bought a pair of, new out, Bridgestone Weather Control A005 for the front axle of one of my automatic 508s, so I'll be interested to see how they manage with the winter rain, mud (country roads near a sugar beet factory) and possibly snow and Ice. These are supposed to have been developed as competition with the Michelin's. 14 each cheaper so that's a good start.

Grumpy
Old 07-10-18, 12:23 PM   #3

I have no objection to changing wheels as I have changed hundreds over the years and can usually swap the four in 45 minutes.

I toyed with the Cross Climate, but the last three winters I have found myself climbing and decending steep hills in snow in either Scotland, the north Pennines or the lake district, so will go with full winters like I have for the last 7 years.

Old 08-10-18, 12:31 PM   #4

Hi Yobbo,

I run a similar set up. 215/60 R17 winters on steel rims and 225/55 R17 summers on the original alloys.

You may need different bolts for you steels rims.
Whilst you can use the alloy wheel bolts briefly on the steel spare I don't think they are designed for long term use use on the steel rims.

When I purchased mine last summer they were part number is 9818845080 2.17 each / 52 for 20.

My winter tyres are michelin agilis alpin as this is what the car was delivered with.

German motoring organisation ADAC has useful winter tyre reviews: https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/test...cePageId=31821

If you are interested in fitting snow chains, the car's manual suggests there is limited clearance. I've tested a set of RUD easy2go on the 225 width tyre and they seem to fit. Happy to provide more details if you are interested.

Cheers,

M.
Old 09-10-18, 07:07 AM   #5

Meeper, Thanks for the advice about my nuts I will bear that in mind as the winter wheels will be on for 5 months.

How do you rate the Agilis, which is I think a full van tyre and suitable for heavier weights? Is it noticeably different to drive than the standard Primacy 3's ? What I often find with winter tyres is that they are usually quieter than normal summers but generally feel completely different to drive.

When I put the winters on in late Autumn, the car feels better. When I put the summers back on in April, the car feels better. That tells me that each tyre works best when used in its intended environment.

Last edited by Yobbo; 09-10-18 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-10-18, 06:07 PM   #6

Hi Yobbo,

Yes the agilis is a full van tyre. For some reason PSA/Toyota homologated the 215/60 R17 tyres in a 104 load rating on this car, so they supply van tyres on the car for this tyre size. The tyre type and load rating also dictate a higher tyre pressure.

My comparison is between a 215/60 R17 104C agilis alpin at 2.8 bar and a 225/55 R17 cross climate+ at 2.6 bar (as recommended by Grumpy).

I found the agilis harder riding and a bit noisier than the "summer" tyres. That could be down to the higher tyre pressures they dictate, but also be partly due to the stiffer construction which the higher load rating implies. Given the car doesn't really need the higher load rating I'd go for something less industrial than the agilis alpin. It is also rated a rather poor E for fuel efficiency. I'm using them because they came with the car rather than through choice.

I haven't been able to test the agilis alpin in winter as I only collected the car in March once the weather had warmed up considerably.

I have the same feeling as you when switching tyres in spring and autumn. I think it's partly psychological but like the feeling anyway!

Cheers,

M.
Old 02-11-18, 09:15 PM   #7

Apologies for not updating this thread, I have been busy on a project at work and the tyres didn't get ordered until this week. I have gone for the Dunlop Wintersport 5. They should arrive next week and I will update the forum when they are on.

If they are as good as the Goodyear Ultragrip 8 & 9 winter tyres I had on my last MPV then they will be brilliant. The Ultragrips could drag me up a 1 in 6 slope in 8 inches of snow in a Front wheel drive which pretty much amazed me.
Old 20-11-18, 05:37 PM   #8

Thumbs up Winter Tyre Feedback early doors

I have been using the Dunlop Wintersport 5 for a week now and have driven in both dry and wet and so far I am impressed. They were a tiny bit noisier than the Primacy 3 immediately after fitting but within 100 miles the shoulders had worn to suit the car and the noise is now about the same as the Michelin summer tyre which is testament to their quality.

As mentioned up thread they feel more surefooted than the Michelin because temperatures have now dropped significantly. Tonight on my 80 mile drive home from work in the rain at 4 degrees they seemed like they were in their natural element.

I particularly like the slightly chunky tread on the Dunlop winters. Just before fitting them, I had a wheel spinning 5 minutes in a muddy farm yard last week and know that the Dunlop tyres will cope more easily with a bit of shallow mud without embarrassing me.

When I get to try them in snow I will update on progress.
Old 25-11-18, 08:09 AM   #9

I am revising my opinion on the noise of the Dunlop Wintersport 5. A regular passenger confirmed to me this week that in his opinion the winters are quieter than the Michelin Primacy's. I think I agree, they are very nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in