Tyres - Page 2 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > MPVs > Traveller
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-18, 07:07 PM   #11

Thanks for the VIN Grumpy.

@Yobbo - I'm ordering the parts from my friendly Citroen dealer as he is closer and more approachable. He can't look up Peugeot VINs from the number plate, only Citroen.

In addition to the sticker I'm having to buy a new spare wheel carrier as they are marginally different between the two tyre widths.

I'm hanging on to my narrower winter tyres (supplied with the car) and fitting these to steel rims. This is because you can't fit snow chains over the top of the wider tyres. As I drive to the alps I need to be able to fit chains.

Ideally I'd have fitted cross climates in the narrower 215/60 R17 size but the homologated load index for that size is 104 (ie commercial/van rating) so you have to stick to van tyres in the narrow size which rules out cross climates. In the wider size the homologated rating is 101 (or possibly 98), which lets me use cross climates or other softer riding car tyres at lower pressures.
Advertisement

Old 12-07-18, 05:30 PM   #12

Meeper, Thx for the link to the Spanish forum which was one I was not aware of and seems better than the others I have found. I read it though Google Chrome which has auto-translate.

Most of the users on the Spanish site are even Grumpier than our Grumpy about the very low km that they are getting out of their Primacy 3's

Mine has the Primacy's and I expect to get 30,000 miles out of them as I am a very gentle driver, although on mine there is just a hint of the wear in the centre of the fronts that Grumpy mentioned and the users in Spain also highlighted. I may drop my pressures a tad.

I plan to start looking for winters on mine in the next 6 weeks. Its over a 1000 investment (including the steel wheels) so I need to shop carefully
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-07-18, 07:58 AM   #13

Back to this issue with the excessive Primacy 3 wear rate which Grumpy mentioned and which also seems to have been a hot top in the European forums. I thought I would do some checks myself.

Tyres last me a long time on cars, usually 40-50,000 miles and I have also started to notice early wear on the Primacy 3. Up until recently I did quite a bit of motorsport and track days and have a small stack of various motorsport tyres in my garage. Importantly I also own a rubber durometer which we use to measure the approximate softness of tyres for competition.

I have had a session prodding various tyres with this on mine and my families road cars and also my stored motorsport rubber.

The findings; Compared to the dozen or so standard road tyres I checked the Primacy 3 is soft for a standard road tyre and softness usually means good grip in the dry but greater wear rates particularly in heavy vehicles. My gauge showed it to be 10% softer than my favoured Goodyear Efficient grip performance and very nearly as soft as my road legal track day tyres (various manufacturers) which are obviously biased to dry grip over multiple track laps. In non-trackday use these would last me under 5000 miles

Given that most road tyres will be harder rubber than the Primacy just changing to another tyre from a quality manufacturer should help with the tyre wear problem in what is a heavy car.

Maybe the Primacy 4 will have a better wear rate?
grumpyoldgit likes this.

Last edited by Yobbo; 22-07-18 at 06:50 AM.
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 20-07-18, 08:40 AM   #14

To update on my findings,
Front tyres:
Primacy 3 13.5k miles
Michelin CrossClimate+ 17.5k miles withy a little left so possibly end up with around 20 - 21k
Avon ZV7 2.5k so far and not looking too bad.

Rear tyres:
33.5 k and down to about 2.5mm tread left.

Upshot is, Crossclimates are better value for money than the Primacy 3s. The Avons are just a test because I bought them for 78 each so couldn't resist. Even if I get only 8k from them I'm on the plus side

I will be buying the CrossClimates again for sure. A very good grippy quiet tyre.

Grumps
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in