New Car - First impressions - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > MPVs > Traveller
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-18, 06:25 AM   #1

Post New Car - First impressions

Having had my new car for three weeks I thought it might be helpful to give some early feedback as it may help anyone who is considering a future purchase.

Car is a Spacetourer Medium (the equivalent of the Peugeot Traveller and the Toyota ProAce Verso).

The Good

Loads of space - I finally have a car with the space I need
Presence - I have driven lots of 4WD's and it has a similar presence from the driving seat to driving a Range Rover. It is great to see over other cars on the motorway.
It is a lot more refined and quiet than I was expecting. Its a big improvement over the previous version
The ride is quite soft but fortunately it doesn't wallow.
I like the optional reversing camera. In particular the 180 degree view which assists reversing out of parking spaces. The car would be difficult to park efficiently without the camera and the composite 'helicopter view' that the screen generates.
The optional dynamic cruise control works well and gives me plenty of notice when things are going wrong. It does suffer from latency though so there is often an 4-5 second unexplained delay (which feels like a lifetime) from when I engage it to when it takes control.
I love the sliding removable seats. Yes they don't fold flat but I simply remove any that I don't need. The double sliding seat is ridiculously heavy so needs two people to remove it.
Very Good fuel economy. Mine is a 1.6 115ps manual. Much to my surprise I got 700 miles out of my first tankful (the low fuel warning light was on). As I did a brim-to-brim economy check, that equates to about 50 mpg. I was expecting 40-42 mpg so am very pleased as that will save me about 300 quid a year. Others may not get that as I am a gentle driver and most of my journeys are more than 60 minutes

The less good

As anticipated, the steering is not great. It is very low geared 4 turns lock to lock and is so light that it lacks feels and precision and you have to shuffle it through your hands a lot. Users on other forums around Europe and various Youtube reviews say similar things.
The handbrake is slightly out of reach. Not a biggy, but a pain in stop start motoring.
The car lacks solid grab handles to get in and out. It really needs them. The equivalent VW Multivan & Caravelle has them in the A and B pillar.
For such a big vehicle it lacks minor storage space on the dash near the driver so everything goes in the doors. I have purchased a 14.75 litre shallow plastic A3 storage box (link below) which fits perfectly under the sliding double seat in the second row. This stops things that I only need occasionally from rolling around the floor.
https://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/cra...-lid-p387/s700
I am baffled by the heated mirrors. My last 4 cars have all had heated mirrors that stay on continuously while the windscreen wipers are operating so they continue to evaporate droplets of water. Not this car. I have to press the button every ten minutes to reactivate them because they keep switching off in rain which gets frustrating on a long wet drive
I am struggling with the large central display as there are so many options. Having 3 separate radio user profiles really confused me until I made them all identical. I am sure I will get used to it in time.

I will post a further update in a few weeks.

Last edited by Yobbo; 08-03-18 at 09:48 AM.
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-18, 05:37 PM   #2

Thanks for the review. Look forward to the update
Old 27-04-18, 02:51 PM   #3

I promised that I would give an update. I have just passed 3500 miles in my Spacetourer and there isn’t really much to report as nothing has dropped off or gone wrong.

I haven’t managed to get the screen mirroring to work on Android but it does work on Apple. Not a big problem as I was unlikely to use it anyway.

Lugging the seats in and out as required has been the biggest bugbear as the double bench seats are very heavy, possibly 30-35 kg and physically large. I have had to buy a 4 wheel trolley to move them to and from the car for temporary storage. I made my own large boot liner out of carpet that runs half the length of the vehicle interior and it works great but took half a day to cut to size due to the complexity of the floor rails.

I discovered a shocking piece of cost saving on my car and that is the horn. Oh dear, I think that they took it from the Peugeot scooter parts bin as it is so feeble and would sound just great on a moped.

I am still not happy with the steering for the reasons already given. It could be so much better.

The radar cruise control works surprisingly well on ordinary winding A- roads if you are following another vehicle as it tracks the vehicle in front around corners ok, something that is downright scary to attempt with a non-radar system.

Fuel economy is excellent and has settled down at 47-48 mpg and 690 miles brim to brim. It is a 1.6 manual gearbox and I am a very gentle driver (who does long journeys) so few users will better that.

What I am finding is that it is a very comfortable and quiet car to drive for long periods and a pleasure to drive within the limitations of it not being a luxury saloon. The seats in particular although not leather are full sized and fit my ample backside very well. The engine is also very quiet and the 6 speed manual gearbox is surprisingly direct. Many vans have a poor gearshift.

The chassis handles okay. I was expecting some understeer in wet roundabouts but the car seems to track true at sensible speeds so I am happier than I expected to be with this.

The air conditioning/climate control is much more powerful than expected and works best if I have the full system operating (including the rear roof system) so I never just isolate it to the front of the car using the button

Advice for anyone buying the more basic models like mine. Definitely order the parking camera and front sensors as an option. As said originally above, it makes a large wide car so much easier to align in parking bays. Using just the mirrors you simply cannot see parking bay white lines at all, but the camera produces a composite image from 'above' in the centre screen that means you can see your exact position in relation to the painted lines down either the side of the vehicle and so you never park accidentally at a stupid angle

I will likely fit winter tyres in November but haven’t yet made up my mind about exactly which tyres I want. The standard Primacy 3's that came with the car seem fine.

One other thing; I have had a couple of Merc Vito and VW Multivan owners (who are paying ruinous lease costs) ask me about the car and while mine is not as posh as theirs, they were aware that the leather seated Peugeot and Citroen versions might work for them and save themselves over 300 a month.

A question. Does anyone know if the Traveller has asymmetric parking lights? All of my recent cars have had them, where you leave one of the steering column stalks up or down when parking and it leaves the side lights illuminated on only one side of the car. I use them when parking at night for 3-4 hours in the local high street, but I can’t get it to work on this car. It isn’t in the manual, but then it isn’t in the manual in my other cars either, but it does work on them.

Did I mention the steering ?

More to follow in a few months, including adblue consumption when known......................

Last edited by Yobbo; 16-05-18 at 09:50 AM.

Old 16-05-18, 09:46 AM   #4

Post Adblue consumption

I topped up the adblue tank today out of interest to see what the approximate consumption is. It is not far off what the owners manual predicts, and seems to be using a litre every 500 miles, so a tankful will last very roughly 9-10,000 miles on my 1.6 diesel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in