Peugeot Forums banner

Pug 307 project

17K views 85 replies 15 participants last post by  willhenshaw 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello!

This is my new work in progress project.

2003 Peugeot 307 1.4 HDI,estate version,74k genuine miles,full service history,7 months MOT and 7 months TAX,drives 100% and is very tidy for year.Its a LX model so has a few goodies to play aswell as a few unexpected bonus ones and also remote control JVC Cd player that looks like a half decent one.

Ive had the car a couple of weeks now and so far im loving it!

Heres a couple of pics of the day i first got it.

The car had a dodgy horn so fixed it with help from reading somewhere on this forum.It is the common rusty connector under the airbag.Now got a fully working horn.Circled in red below is the offending connector.Fixed by poping airbag out.cleaning up the connector with sandpaper and coating it in silicone grease to prevent it corroding ever again.

a couple of days later i took a trip to B&Q and bought some goodies to treat the car,everything is on 3 for 2 so saved a few quid too.I did buy some new heavy duty rubber mats too as the crappy ones that were in the car were deadly and sliding about.Oh and i just had to buy some new magic tree air fresheners lol.Only thing i did not buy was a claybar kit as i ran out of cash.typical lol.

See less See more
G
#31 ·
lol like i said im old.know where your comming from tho i had the 1.4 hatchback was cheap to run and tax an insure would of kept it too if it didnt have a bad habbit of emptying my bank account.bloody thing used my bank more than me lmao.hopefully yours will give you many trouble free miles.still reckon there nice looking cars tho and very compfortable to drive..good luck with yours.

#33 ·
just bought this for £15,why you may ask.....

i want to remove my peugeot badge on the front of my car and make it look like one complete/single strip of grill with no badge,so to do this i have mastered a plan,seen as you cant buy debadged grills for the 307 (well you can but not in this style and since this is my car i want my own personal touch lol) so anyway......

My plan is this,measure the gap in the GREEN area where the badge goes on front bumper,then cut out a piece the same size (or slightly bigger should i say) from the RED area to fit in the gap where the badge goes and then either plastic weld it in or use proper plastic glue that melts plastic together to hold it on place,then maybe add abit more plastic to the back for strength if it needs it,then skim over the new section with plastic filler for flexibility,sand down and then finally basecoat,top coat and lacquer it to give the desired effect.(see pic i posted yesterday of a photoshop i have done to see what i mean)

besides if it all goes horribly wrong its only £15 lol.so far ive only spent a shoe string on the car and got it looking quite nice so far so worth a punt....

atleast i can practice on the spare bumper with cutting and measuring and fitting etc and then once ive got it perfect it should fit my bumper perfect seen as its the same thing lol.

#34 ·
In my yoof I was into custom cars and in “my day modifications went with different fashions. Things like fuzzy dice, fur, Wolfrace wheels, Jacking the back up etc etc. Unless the work was done well it would devalue the car. Any modified car will be harder to sell.
The lowering of the car will still change the ride, more than likely it will be harder.
You are quite right is saying a 1.4 is cheap to insure until you tell them about the modifications. All modifications have to be notified to your insurance company, including the fly paper on the lights.
Luckily for me it was not like that when I was in my 20's.

Here are some photos I found on the net of custom cars when I was young. Nothing was safe from that pearlescent and metal flake paint.

I too have also bought a set of the HEKO wind deflectors. I wish I had purchased them direct from their website, It would have been cheaper. They are good for allowing more fresh air to flow around car; this was a gripe of mine on the design of this car.
I think you may regret removing that rear wiper. The back window gets a lot of crap plastered on it.

I look forward to reading more about what you do. Maybe some photos of the work as you do the suspension change will be of interest to the forum.

#35 · (Edited)
luckily for me my insurance company is fine with all my mods.must be my old age lol?

i dont regret removing the wiper atall,it was rubbish at doing anything.the only thing it was good at was drooping down onto the paintwork lol.but each to there own and all that.

and yes i have lots of things i would like to do with the car/project.most of which can all be done by me to help keep costs down.

and lowering the car kinda goes hand in hand with any car if your looking at giving it a modified look,IMO.

I dont plan to sell the car so i have no care for how much the car may go up on go down in value,at the end of the day,it owes me nothing and its a lil project for me to keep me out of the Mrs's way haha.And asfar as modified cars been harder to sell? ive had over 1000 cars in 10 years and almost everyone has been modified to high heaven or as ive got older and wiser modified to a factory/sport style look and ive not had a ounce of trouble getting rid of a single one of them lol.maybe your advertising to the wrong people? besides,whatever happens,all cars (with some exceptions) go down in value every single day,even brand new ones as soon as they leave the forecourt/dealers are worth less than you just paid or got into debt for,but this is common knowledge.

I have no interest in anything other than a few subtle mods just to make the car my own and as i said before this car will not be seen in a mcdees carpark,doing wheel spins or anything like that at daft o clock in the morning, and will deffo not be chaved up with halfords bling lol.its too nice of a car to ruin with stupid mods that simply make the car look like crap.

i do plan on trying to keep the thread updated as much as possible,not to boast or brag,but to seek advice,opinion and maybe give inspiration to other fellow 307 owners and alike.:thumb:

#36 ·
well i picked up the bumper this morning and cut out a section and then trial fitted it to give the desired look of the smooth grill.The piece ive cut does need abit more sanding to shape in places beofre the next step,but im sure you get the idea....

also,ignore the 2 black spots under the new section on the first picture,as these are part of the original bumper and need to be removed yet.

#39 ·
today ive been busy plastic welding and filling the front grill.The lower part of the grill/bumper where the bottom of the badge originally sat in (just above the number plate area) has a deep recess that i wanted to bring up flush with the rest of the grill/bumper so ive plastic welded loads of plastic and some mesh in there and skimmed over with plastic filler.Ive not had chance to plastic weld the upper part of the grill in yet so will prob be doing that tomorrow.Pics to follow when the car looks something half decent lol.

#43 ·
ROFL! heaters in car decided to pack up toady lol.Just great! not only is it freezing outside but its now freezing inside the car too! :eek:

I think its the heater resistor in the dash behind the radio so tomorrow ill be digging out the dash to find the culprit.Luckily if it is the heater resistor its only about £15 for a new one so not all is lost lol. :)

Also,on a more positive note, the front grill is now fully filled and smoothed and finished so is now ready for paint or wrapping ;)

G
#44 · (Edited)
Darken up those rear windows boy!

I do like the idea of a debadged front bumper, just waiting on a replacement for mine after a wee bump, might do this myself before I fit it!

And why have I never heard of this flyeyes stuff, that'd sit a treat on my rears because its a black car, thanks for introducing me to it :)

Edit: what size pieces do you need for the rears?

#45 ·
Yeah windows deffo need tinting on rear,its something i will have to do one day soon.:)

Also yeah the flyeyes kit is brilliant stuff,i highly recommend the stuff :thumb:

And now for some bad news.........:mad:

Just when you think everything is ok.......Bang.

Driving along,fuel light comes on,drives into nearest petrol station,fills up with diesel,and then this message comes on along with engine management light!No loss of power or anything,only thing i have noticed is the car takes a few seconds longer to start now than it did? AA on the way out and hopefully they can code read the fault and let me know whats just broke.lol.

#46 ·
well AA man been out and read the codes.It appears to be the EGR valve thats fubard.fault code P0404.

May aswell just blank it off than replace and it go again as its a common fault on the HDI range of peugeot/citron and ford engines anyway.

Right nasty job tho as the EGR is on back of engine so ill prob end up inventing new swear words when i fix it.

Ahh well,saved me £50 or so on getting a garage to read the codes and atleast i know where to start throwing money at it rather than just guessing at stuff.

G
#47 · (Edited)
At least with that engine you have no DMF or FAP filter, so when you get antipollution fault it isn't as bad as it seems! :thumb:

Are they 100% sure its EGR though, I myself would get it on planet to get a proper code read, our very own 307pugpete is in Rotherham with planet which can check the operation of EGR :)

#48 ·
yeah,no DMF or FAP,thanks heavens,nothing but extra trouble if you ask me.

Anyway,the guy seemed very clued up and suggested it to be the EGR valve before he even read it.If i blank the EGR of with a blanking plate rather than replace it i assume the car will still run fine?

Ive never removed,cleaned or blanked of a EGR valve before on any car so ill be learning something new here.

Is blanking it off the best option?

#49 ·
My goodness! what a horrid horrid day today has been,i never want to have to deal with wiring looms ever ever again!

I bought a new heater resistor chip of ebay to cure my non working heaters in the car,only bought it yesterday and it arrived today! Yay! so off i trot to disassemble the dash to fit the little bugger.Once fitted i turn the ignition on and hope it works......But no.nothing.still as dead as a dodo!

So i check the old heater resistor chip to look for any signs of overheating and surprise surprise the metal terminals inside the chip have melted and this is clearly down to the multiplug that connects to it from the wiring loom! :(

so i search for a new heater wiring loom only to be found with the following problems..... either wait a few days for a ebay part to arrive or try local pug dealers at Sheffield.

Both the ebay and dealer parts were very similar in price so off i dash to the parts department with 5 mins to spare before they close for the day.

£53 lighter and a brand new wiring loom for the heater.

so of i dash back home seen as we only get a few hours daylight to ''try'' to fit the loom.never done anything like this before.

Once home,i remove the glovebox,complete front center console,radio,drivers footwell plastics and much more electrical gubbins to finally get to the back of the heater dials to start tracing the wiring loom around the dash.This is where the nightmare begins.

just some of the space i have to work with

#50 ·
once everything is out and i begin tracing the wiring loom it soon becomes very apparent that this particular loom is entwined all over deep inside the dash and i begin to wonder if this job is out of my depth.but i proceed with tracing the wiring and disconnecting the relevant multiplugs,all the time thinking that this is never gonna go back together and work again.

After the best part of 2 hours,working upside down in the footwells,squeezing my hand into places where i honestly thought it was stuck and i would need the fire brigade to free me,banging my head on metal brackets in the dash,and just basically working blind with only the sense of touch i finally get the old loom out and the new on in!

old one out

and this is where i look at the plug that i think has melted and find that it well and truly has melted.no wonder my heaters did not work.

once the whole dash is put back together with everything checked and double checked i turn the ignition on and hope (and pray) that the heaters work......

yes! yes! yes! i have working blower motors again that get hot! thank the lord! no more driving around freezing! :D

so to end up with,i spend £53 on a new loom and £12 on a new heater chip and spend hours fitting it all to then have fully working heaters again,on all settings,albeit having a few very sore cuts on the fingers and a bumped head from not watching what i was doing when i smashed it into the metal brackets that hold the glove box on in the dash and also been frozen to death laying upside down and wrong way around in the footwells with my feet up in the air outside while inventing new swear words.

Moral of today's story..... dont give up! keep trying and you will eventually fix your problem yourself saving £££'s on labor charges.Or is it this one? Dont buy french cars! LOL.

Ahh well,all up and running again now,just need to sort the EGR valve out when the blanking plate arrives. :)

#52 · (Edited)
Little update,ive ordered a few new bits and bobs,nothing much but anyway.....

A HD incar CCTV cam so i can record whats going on while im out driving,why? because theres so many stupid people who simply cant drive and if any of them hit me then all i will say is ''Smile,your on CCTV'' and also to help prove whos liable in a accident.(not that i plan on having one but you can never be too careful).Ill update when fitted.I may even post a vid of it in action

And also some new number plates,nothing fancy or illegal,just some new ones to freshen the car up abit more.

And then a few other little bits and pieces.

Im also debating weather to ditch the Philips ''BlueVision'' headlight bulbs in favor of some HID's? 6-8k?

Today i gave the Pug a well deserved wash and then took a few snaps while out and about.Deffo needs lows and new rims.Badly lol......

#55 ·
hoping when i get my remap done i get this sort of acceleration and power delivery.....

exact same engine as mine,same car,same everything..... 68bhp standard,remapped to 102bhp.not sure if any other mods are done but hey.....its a major improvement. :)

infact im not sure if its someones car on this forum?

#56 ·
still waiting for new gadgets and parts off postman.looks like it all may come tomorrow as today he has just fetched bills lol.

so while sat bored in the house i decided to go out to the car to see what i could mess with haha.

ive ended up taking the LED sidelight bulbs out from the headlights as they looked too intense compared to the more subtle look of the ''BlueVision'' bulbs ive got fitted so i swapped them for the matching ''BlueVision'' sidelight bulbs that came with the set and they look alot better :)

So then i thought what can i do with the LED bulbs now? Well lucky for me the rear number plate bulbs are the same style bulb (501) so ive fitted the LED bulbs in there.Will look much better now on the back at night instead of having hazy yellow spots of light across the number plate.Should also compliment my new number plates when they arrive :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.