Used warranty covering electrics? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Announcements, Comments, Help > Peugeotforums.com Forum Technical Support or Site Issues
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-11-16, 10:14 PM   #1
Vaz
Inactive User

Default Used warranty covering electrics?

Greetings all

So I had a full on rant typed out but decided to cut it short!

Basically, bought a used 508 in June from a dealer who seemingly didn't take a very good look at the car before selling (it was on the forecourt for approx 6 weeks)

A few issues they sorted out in a few days after buying where No MOT, brake pads grinding steel/seized to discs, etc, - I should say I had the windows up during the test drive or else I would have realised at that point that it sounded like a train grinding tracks!!!

I brought it back last Friday before warranty runs out at the end of next month for some minor issues that were present when I bought it, as I honestly couldn't be arsed driving a 108 go kart courtesy car again and thought I'd get them sorted and any other issues that pop up in one swoop

I was told that the only electrical part that would have been covered was if after closer inspection it turned out to be a 'keyless entry/remote locking motor' that the keyless entry system was under warranty, and if it was the door handle or associated sensors, etc, it would not, I was also told that the faulty heated seat was not under warranty, and the other thing I don't get is they specifically said no warranty covers wiring loom or cables, which strikes me as a bit fishy. They also didn't even replace a blown headlight, although this is the most acceptable as it is a service part which I know isn't covered but would have been a nice gesture

They called today to say if they went any further it may cost to repair but they don't know yet.. I politely said no, do not proceed, I will collect very shortly, but have got more annoyed as the hours pass! I probably would have got the same aftersales from some dude on gumtree!

Is anyone clued up on the warranty coverage that could advise as to whether electrics are indeed covered or anyone had similar experience/how was it handled ?
Vaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-11-16, 03:12 AM   #2

Did you read the terms and conditions of the warranty before you bought the car?.
A warranty for a used car is simply insurance, like other insurance policies some give better cover than others.
It may well be that a cheap warranty won't cover all or part of the electrical system, some faults can cost an arm and a leg to fix, if it doesn't disable the car - windows not working or rear wiper for example - they might say, "Sorry, not covered".
Your dealer did advise you that your car needed work not covered under your warranty and not present you with an unexpected bill which has happened.

Unfortunately Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware - applies particularly to buying a used car.

Roger.
Old 23-11-16, 09:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
Greetings all

So I had a full on rant typed out but decided to cut it short!

Basically, bought a used 508 in June from a dealer who seemingly didn't take a very good look at the car before selling (it was on the forecourt for approx 6 weeks)

A few issues they sorted out in a few days after buying where No MOT, brake pads grinding steel/seized to discs, etc, - I should say I had the windows up during the test drive or else I would have realised at that point that it sounded like a train grinding tracks!!!

I brought it back last Friday before warranty runs out at the end of next month for some minor issues that were present when I bought it, as I honestly couldn't be arsed driving a 108 go kart courtesy car again and thought I'd get them sorted and any other issues that pop up in one swoop

I was told that the only electrical part that would have been covered was if after closer inspection it turned out to be a 'keyless entry/remote locking motor' that the keyless entry system was under warranty, and if it was the door handle or associated sensors, etc, it would not, I was also told that the faulty heated seat was not under warranty, and the other thing I don't get is they specifically said no warranty covers wiring loom or cables, which strikes me as a bit fishy. They also didn't even replace a blown headlight, although this is the most acceptable as it is a service part which I know isn't covered but would have been a nice gesture

They called today to say if they went any further it may cost to repair but they don't know yet.. I politely said no, do not proceed, I will collect very shortly, but have got more annoyed as the hours pass! I probably would have got the same aftersales from some dude on gumtree!

Is anyone clued up on the warranty coverage that could advise as to whether electrics are indeed covered or anyone had similar experience/how was it handled ?
regardless of terms and conditions the law states that the car should be of satisfactory quality and as advertised so if you have anything faulty that was not advertised as faulty then they need to sort it, also the onus is on the seller to prove that it was not faulty at the time of sale in the first 6 months after 6 months that onus is on the buyer.

is the car on finance or pcp or did you pay a deposit on a credit card?

The second-hand car I bought has a problem, what are my rights?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in