The Search function - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Announcements, Comments, Help > Peugeotforums.com Forum Technical Support or Site Issues
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: The way forward with the search function
Should we encourage people to search for themselves 4 30.77%
should we answer peoples questions as best we can even if it causes repitition 6 46.15%
something else ?? 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-11-14, 06:19 PM   #1

Default The Search function

I'm seeing more and more replies to questions that are saying 'use the search function' and while i agree that people should put some effort in themselves it can come across as unfriendly sometimes, especially to newer member's OR members that are not as computer literate as others. I've asked my dad (73 years old) what he would do if he joined a forum and the majority of posts were 'look for yourself' he said i would just leave and find another forum that was more helpful. He uses a computer but isnt completely comfortable or able to use it as well as maybe someone younger. Remember apart from a username and a brief introduction we know nothing about each other.

What are peoples thoughts on the way forward??

Should we carry on as we are or maybe change to something a little different ??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-11-14, 08:56 PM   #2
Ginger Magic

Well, as you may or may not know I do use other forums for my 406 *cough* and they do seem to have a more user friendly home page, with an easy to find search function, its not so obvious on here where it all is.

When I ask a question it is because either I don't know the answer or I was a bit blinded by loads of information from the search feature that fills the screen, of which not all is relevant to my question - so it is easier and more direct to ask a new question.

Is there a way of having a link to 'the most common questions' or 'most common faults and fixes' to guide new users to, without the need for repeating posts/topics?

Forgive me if I speak (type?) out of term, I am not very articulate or PC friendly...

This is a great forum with many members with a wide knowledge base, and I am always grateful for any help I receive..
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-11-14, 10:09 PM   #3

The problem I've encountered is the inaccuracy of the search function. It only seems to take the first word, so if say searching for "206 sw rear screen demister", you get all sorts of results which have no connection at all, even 307 results came up.

One way round the problem of repetition is, when answering, to include a link to another thread on the same subject, thus avoiding the repetition, and making the search easier. Also suggest that the search function may bring up other results.
Brilec is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 22-11-14, 06:38 AM   #4

I find that the search brings up just to much and mostly irrelevant info.

if someone asks something that I have an answer to I will reply even if it is something that would have been found via the search button. sometimes its quicker to give an answer than have a moan at them for not using the search.
pauls0701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-11-14, 06:51 AM   #5

I've found that a google search can bring up the topic on this forum better than the forums own search feature. The forum search function is not the best or most intuitive but I think that's down to the way the PHP search works rather than specific to this forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-11-14, 01:48 PM   #6
Inactive User

I agree with you storeman, sometimes it is easier just to use google instead and many times it will direct you to the appropriate page within the forum.
steve18gls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-11-14, 05:07 PM   #7
pr1vatepiles

+1 on storemans comments.

Personally i hate posting but i have to remember not everyone is able to use the search function efficiently or spend hours reading through pages on here. I say "answer peoples questions as best we can even if it causes repitition", might get annoying but at least we did right thing.
steve18gls likes this.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-11-14, 08:22 PM   #8
Inactive User

I have tried using the search function, its crap. As said above it uses the first word then you hard to trawl through pages and pages for 20 mins to even come close to what you want to find
Old 22-11-14, 08:43 PM   #9

Agree completely search just does not hack it as Storeman says far more chance on Google, same in my opinion when you go advanced and use the specific model say 307 still brings up other threads. I think it's because people like me may answer in 407 thread and same something like "on my 307"

border_all is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-11-14, 04:43 PM   #10

144 views and only 8 replies
come on people share your opinions.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in