2006 Peugeot 407 - jerky gear changes - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Announcements, Comments, Help > Peugeotforums.com Forum Technical Support or Site Issues
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-12, 06:27 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default 2006 Peugeot 407 - jerky gear changes

I have a 2006 Peugeot 407 hdi wagon with a six-speed auto gearbox. After I have been driving for about half an hour, I notice the gear changes become very jerky and the car will sometimes jump forward between changes. I recently had a brake switch replaced and told the mechanic about it. He ran a check of the system and said there was nothing wrong. Could it be the auto adaptive gearbox? Or something else?
Stella1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-01-12, 12:10 PM   #2
Inactive User

The very first thing I would advice is to worry as little as possible.

Now, as you are calm there are few things known to me:
- Gearbox ecu needs updating;
- Gearbox oil old and does not do what's needed - change oil;

However, before changing oil or updating gearbox ecu you need to know mileage of the car and how it was driven...? It is important as the procedures are different and there are certain precautions knowing that! THAT BS WHERE SOME PEOPLE RECOMEND NOT TO CHANGE GEARBOX OIL AT ALL IS DESTROYING YOUR GEARBOXES AND BRINGS GOOD PROFIT FOR SOMEONE... Best thing is to change gearbox oil is every 30-40k miles, no more. You are just helping them with your big bill later..
If you have loads of miles on the clock and gearbox oil has not been changed ever, gearbox ecu update will be of litte help, but it may help.
If you decide to change oil, be careful... Remove old oil to a clean and empty container. If there are many (I mean a lot) of metal particles in the oil, you may be better of to put it back in... Otherwise you may notice even more jerking and jumping...

Once again.. YOU NEED TO CHANGE GEARBOX OIL EVERY 30-40k miles to save money for yourself in the long term Think for yourself, what is the use of oil in the gearbox when it is there nearly as a water? Any good? Trust me and don't listen who says do not change it... Well it's up to you actualy, but I want to help you - not to lead you to big profit for someone.

Nothing else comes to mind for now.
At the moment what you can do is to adjust to that 'jerking' - learn to release gas pedal a bit just before jerking.. Experienced all that myself driving Volvo S60 2.0T AUTO in winter on snowed roads and black ice Experient while you have no ice on the roads... Then it was getting really fun for me and will be dangerous for you.

Another great advice before winter comes is to invest in at least good brand winter tyres from second hand tyre shop. You will feel the difference and it's worth every penny spent. Just make sure you know about winter tyres to recognise which are good, which are not as they also can sell you not the best example.. Yet 407 is a heavy car and it sticks to the road quite well due to its weight, but that does not mean you can fit rubbish tyres. It's all about your safety on the road and I just try to share my knowledge and real experiences to help you not to do same mistakes
Ultramate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in