Help Needed for Timing Belt on Peugeot Partner 1.6 HDI DV6 9HF engine - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Partner
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-18, 03:44 PM   #1

Default Help Needed for Timing Belt on Peugeot Partner 1.6 HDI DV6 9HF engine

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and really need help with regards to getting the timing correct on a Peugeot Partner (B9) 1.6HDi DV6 9HF engine.

This van belongs to my brother in law and recently stripped the belt! We have replaced the head gasket, valves, and followers but when we align the marks on the crank pulley reluctor ring, the camshaft sprocket locking location and the fuel pump (then fit the belt as per procedure) it locks up! We have already squeezed the tappets to rid of oil. All the usual stuff. Heres a list of what we have tried:

Locking the crank via the flywheel locking pin which would be TDC on cylinder One- The cam pulley will not lock in the timing locking location as the valve attempts to open on cylinder 1 (Cylinder nearest the cam sprocket.)

Locking the Crank 180 degrees from above position (another hole in flywheel) which would be BDC on cylinder 1. Cam lock goes into position but soon locks on valves.

Rocking on Cylinder 4 and firing on cylinder one with piston at TDC on Cylinder 1. (The conventional way on 8v engines) I have done this the other way around too because some french manufacturers call Cylinder 1 the one nearest the gearbox.

The crank has a woodruff key in it which locates the reluctor ring which we bought from Peugeot as we must have dropped it? The camshaft sprocket can only go on one way and there is a key-way in it for location.

Is there something we are missing? Looking from autodata the crank is located via the reluctor ring which sets the pistons to the safe position (halfway down) but via Haynes Pro it says turn cylinder 1 to TDC so can someone please clarify the correct procedure because i cannot think of anymore methods to time the engine!!

Any help appreciated,
conor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-18, 04:59 PM   #2

The locking point in the flywheel is not for setting the timing. It's a random point to lock the flywheel in order to undo the crankshaft pulley bolt.

The timing hole you need is on the crankshaft belt pulley. 5mm drill bit does it.

I put a new belt on one of these just before Christmas. The Haynes book explains perfectly.
Old 06-02-18, 07:59 PM   #3

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply, i have done timing belts on these a couple of times and really can't see where i'm going wrong. I have it pinned off on the crank pulley and also locked on the cam and fuel pump. Once the belt is on we get roughly 3 o'clock and then it locks on cylinder 2! Its so strange i wonder would it be possible something may have twisted!? Couldn't see it though.

Old 06-02-18, 08:10 PM   #4

If the belt failed and caused valves to hit pistons breaking the rockers then the pulleys on the cams sometimes move they should not but they can this may be your issue.

Are the cams timed correctly in relation to each other ?

You dont need to pin the pump its not timed.
Old 06-02-18, 08:31 PM   #5

Its a single cam 8 valve engine so only one lock off in cam. Its quite a simple set up but a really annoying issue. The cam sprocket even has a key-way so it can't be put on the wrong way.
Old 06-02-18, 09:31 PM   #6

Ok the 16 valve only has 1 cam pulley too but a chain inside the head linking cams this can jump.

did you skim the head and if so did you use a thicker gasket to be honest you probably just needed rockers the valves are generally fine after belt failure heads rarely need removed
Old 08-10-18, 06:41 PM   #7

Solved!! Hi,

Yes got it sorted but after plenty of heartache😂. I ended up getting a cam as one of the lobes had turned. Found that these lobes are pressed on and not like the old ones which were machined from solid billet of metal.

The timing marks are simply the one in the cam and line the crank marks. The flywheel ones have no correlation to the cam and crank and are simply for tightening and slackening the crankshaft pulley without damaging the keyway.

The only way I found this out was that i got an engine and decided to try the cam out of the received engine and it worked a treat. I also found out the bottom crank carrier is not swappable between engines as this is inline bored when manufactured. I have tried all this. Even swapping over the shell bearings only for the crank to lock in place!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in