2.0 HDi Partner Combi coolant leak - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Partner
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-17, 09:43 AM   #1

Default 2.0 HDi Partner Combi coolant leak

Hello all. My 2005 Partner Combi seems to be getting a bit senile in her old age. I was getting the low coolant 3 beeps whilst driving home in the icy weather on Friday and didn't think too much of it as I was close to home and the weather was bloody awful. I kind of assumed (wanted to believe) it was some kind of sensor fault being caused by the weather - I know

On Saturday I had a check and I was a bit surprised to see that it had lost some coolant so I topped it up and went to do an errand in town which is about 8 miles away. When in town, I got the three beeps again so I stopped and found it had lost more coolant so I topped it up again and drove home carefully.

Once home I had another look and saw that it had indeed lost some more but on closer inspection noticed that it appeared to be coming from the bleed valve on the elbow where the top hose goes back into the engine. The valve has a little blue cap about the size of a tyre valve cap. I think this is the thermostat housing.

I tried several times to tighten the bleed valve up and eventually the valve cap came off in my hands with the thread still inside it!! Clearly it was a crack rather than a failed seal in the cap.

My questions are:
-Am I correct that coolant should not be escaping through any part of the thermostat housing/bleed screw?
-Would it be wise as a temporary fix to put a bit of silicone sealant in the bleed screw cap so that the system holds pressure again and stops the leak?
-It looks like I can buy a replacement relatively easily from ebay, will I need anything more than basic tools to do this job? I'm thinking maybe gaskets or seals?

Picture of the offending part attached!!

Korszun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-17, 09:52 AM   #2

oops, pics didn't seem to work. try these instead
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18U...pge0IspctHwF6g
Code:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qy-YmMOw_ofJ9x6fUh9F_2JzDI6uwrh3
Old 20-12-17, 12:03 AM   #3

This sometimes happens on cars where the engine cover is rubbing against the cap, if you have normal hand tools you will be able to do it easily. When you finish and are topping up with antifreeze mixture these caps are there to allow you to bleed the heating system.
derekg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 20-12-17, 05:43 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply Derek. I replaced the thermostat housing easily with an eBay part. So cooling system now appears to be pressurised again.

However on talking her for a drive first time she was making a horrid noise while steering and I discovered a broken suspension spring so that's going to have to wait until my garage can see her. ?
Old 22-12-17, 01:56 AM   #5

I had to replace the front n/side spring on mine after going over a sleeping policeman road hump and hearing a loud bang, investigated and 1 broken spring. Whilst it is stripped down have the top bearing changed.
derekg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in