The yearly car insurance caper - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-10-14, 08:14 AM   #1
Inactive User

Unhappy The yearly car insurance caper

Hello again all

Just about to start my second year of motoring and I've just come up against a new enemy; namely, renewal.

As I was a new driver my insurance was 1,014 which was steep but I got through it. I took some comfort from the fact that I'd re-run my insurance quote online for the second year's cover and it came out at a far more reasonable 513

Until this morning that is, Tesco want 792 to just carry on. I don't think so matey, seeing as Tesco are offering me a new policy for nearly 300 less!
Advertisement

Old 31-10-14, 08:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheule View Post
Hello again all

Just about to start my second year of motoring and I've just come up against a new enemy; namely, renewal.

As I was a new driver my insurance was 1,014 which was steep but I got through it. I took some comfort from the fact that I'd re-run my insurance quote online for the second year's cover and it came out at a far more reasonable 513

Until this morning that is, Tesco want 792 to just carry on. I don't think so matey, seeing as Tesco are offering me a new policy for nearly 300 less!
Oh the joys of motor insurance renewals. I always do a comparison check on the main comparison sites to check for the cheapest. My insurance company, the AA, guarantee a price match. I just ring them up with the cheapest price I find and they match it.

Malcolm.
Craigleather likes this.
Old 31-10-14, 08:49 AM   #3

One thing to watch with the online systems is the carry-forward of the no-claims-bonus. Most of them use a drop-down menus with options like 1 year, 2 years etc down as far as x years... and that's where the problem lies.. if they only offer a 6+ year option, then when you move on the following year, they will only issue a certificate for 7 years NCB - even tho you may have had 10 or 12 or whatever years before moving to them.
I got a quote from M&S using their 9+ drop-down... but when they contacted the previous company they said 8 years. (Drop-down of 6+ plus 2 years with them). Took me months to track down all the previous companies to prove I actually had 15 years worth of NCB. Wouldn't have bothered...if M&S hadn't wanted 25% more for only having 8 years as opposed to 9!
Beneagles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-14, 06:25 AM   #4

what totally winds me up about the renewal is that they blame the computer for generating a stupidly high renewal quote when you can get a new policy from the same company for half the price.

Mine came in with 10 years NCB & no convictions at nearly 800...
rang them up, told them very politely where they could ram that quote and now its right back at 430 (with all the options plus business use)

As stated above, you should use a comparison site like these:

moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance
parkerscompare.parkers.co.uk/car
Old 03-11-14, 06:57 PM   #5
Ginger Magic

I was using Admiral Multicar for years, and my quote was normally 550 ( for the 406 and Picasso ) which I normally haggled for less than 500.

This year, my price was 920....!!!

I am no longer with Admiral, I have since chosen seperate insurances for each car, and the Picasso ( for the wife and kids ) comes with free breakdown cover. Both insurances added together was less than 450, for 2 drivers..
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-14, 07:56 AM   #6
Inactive User

my insurance was up 87 quid last year so due again in December, never had a claim
samlad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-14, 12:37 PM   #7
Site Sponsor

Hi,
If you haven't already renewed your insurance then please feel free to give us a try if you like. If you wanted to PM me your details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.
Adrian Flux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-15, 07:27 PM   #8
Inactive User

I remember when I had to insure my first car. It was a 1.1L 106 from 1997. I had to pay double what the car was worth in order to insure it and build up my no claims. Some insurance companies must be having a right laugh. Still, stay out of trouble and you should make some big savings when you build up your ncb
mstevie192 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-15, 09:50 PM   #9
Inactive User

I'm currently insuring my 1.1 106 2002, for 3600 and that's with named drivers. The cars not worth a quarter of that, probably because I'm 18 though...

Sent from my cracking iPad
106steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-15, 07:26 PM   #10
Inactive User

Thing with named drivers is if you aren't the main driver you may not build up a no claims. Not all companies are the same but its just something to watch out for. Build up one year and you can knock off a few hundred
mstevie192 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in