Why did it have to break now???? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-12, 09:20 AM   #1
jmkent

Default Why did it have to break now????

Well, after a very long & tiring week moving house, I go to switch on the laptop for a PP job and the bloody hard drive has gone First casualty of the move I suspect! So I've ordered a new one and have the hassle now of reinstalling all the software.... could well do without that... its a cardboard box jungle home here now!

So apologies to andy pen & also to bikesforme... I doubt I will have the laptop up and running in time to bring up with me this week.

p.s. never put a blank/new hard drive into a pc before... is it just a case of plug n play and insert installation CD?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-12, 09:40 AM   #2

Better of using a Netbook with SSD , i use two of them no worries about moving them while you work on them .
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-12, 11:51 AM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
p.s. never put a blank/new hard drive into a pc before... is it just a case of plug n play and insert installation CD?
Yup - are you 100% sure it was the hard drive that died? A HD fault (unless dropped) usually indicates a potential fault elsewhere?
CNSam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-12, 12:04 PM   #4
jmkent

It was making noises for a while, and then when switching it on, I get the Non System Disk or Disk Error message, which when seen before means the hard drive has had it. Can't complain too much... its an old laptop I bought off ebay for 45 just purely for use on car stuff New 80gb drive for 25 on the way
Old 07-05-12, 12:06 PM   #5
Inactive User

Ah right - not too much of a kick then to be fair!

I've only ever had 1 Hard Drive die on me - I say hard drive it was the whole laptop as it took a tumble from 5 stories off a block of flats! Will teach me to leave it on a balcony when there's little cousins running about!
CNSam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-12, 08:16 PM   #6
Inactive User

sad to hear that. i hope you have your backups up to date. i had a 500gb hdd fail on me once, albeit it was external, but still pretty horifying. on my hp envy 17 theres this 3d hdd guard or whats it called, using the accelerometre it detects when laptop is dropped or bumped and moves the writing head off the discs to prevent damage. pretty neat, saved my ass few times.
battlestar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-12, 10:03 PM   #7
jmkent

Really not having much luck.... drive came today, and it doesn't fit... something to do with SATA or IDE

Anyway, got to start again
Old 09-05-12, 10:19 PM   #8
chopper1192

That's Dacia laptops for you!
Old 09-05-12, 11:07 PM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkent View Post
It was making noises for a while, and then when switching it on, I get the Non System Disk or Disk Error message, which when seen before means the hard drive has had it. Can't complain too much... its an old laptop I bought off ebay for 45 just purely for use on car stuff New 80gb drive for 25 on the way
It might not all be lost. you might just have a corrupted master boot record that prevents you from starting windows and does give symptoms of dead hard drive. If it's an win xp installation and you have a xp disk. Put disk in a laptop it should fire up from disk if not you have to go to bios and set cd/dvd as first boot device. Let the cd load when it comes up what do you want to do select windows recovery. this should take you in to command prompt select instalation number then type fixmbr and press enter. Remove cd and then type exit , laptop should switch off. Start it back up and see if it loads windows.
Just found a link to Microsoft []Advanced Search that explains exactly what to do. Look for section where it says" Option 2: Starting the Windows Recovery Console from the Windows XP CD-ROM" and "Using the Command Console within Windows Recovery Console"
Old 09-05-12, 11:23 PM   #10
Inactive User

yeah there are several connections for hard drives now:
-old ide (grey ribbon)
-sata (several versions of this, but use the same cables)
-ssd (solid state - memory card)

then you have different dimensions:

-3.5 typical computer hdd
-2.5 typical laptop

you know when the hdd has had it as it does the "click of death" ie it will go "click, click-click, click" also windows reports an error with SMART.

check your bios settings, remove any cds/memory cards/floppy...still no good. boot a windows disc

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in