Why car reviews don't compare noise levels?? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-05-16, 11:01 AM   #1

Default Why car reviews don't compare noise levels??

Hello all,

Why car reviews don't include and compare noise levels between models?

I've always thought it is one of the most important aspect of a car, very important for comfort, specially in long trips. They should even measure it in decibels. Nowadays even smartphones can measure db levels!
mcf07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-05-16, 11:09 AM   #2

I forgot to mention: Sometimes reviews talk about "refinement", and it seems that they mean noise levels. But if this is the case, then:

1) Why the F* don't they just say NOISE LEVELS!

2) Why can't they measure it?! There is a unit of noise, it's called decibels!
Old 06-07-16, 09:05 AM   #3
Inactive User

I always thought Autocar etc did, they always have a at 70mph X DB on the bottom of the comparison reviews?
steve421 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-16, 04:53 PM   #4

Hi steve421,

Thanks for the info. I'll buy an Autocar magazine one of these days.

I checked their website but they only mention noise levels in some models, and never the actual decibel level, like in these cases:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?num=....0.aBa8iKVa1ek

So they did measure it, they just don't publish it. Strange.

Ideally they could / should have a table with all models and characteristics, like acceleration, mpg, price, etc., and including noise. But I couldn't find it. They have all the data, it's just a mater of putting it in a spreadsheet.
Old 07-07-16, 11:45 PM   #5
Inactive User

You would think they would at least do it for cars touted as touring cars. In city traffic you don't notice your cabin noise, but on a deserted highway at 2 am.......you notice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- over 100,000 auction vehicles
Blurred Line is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-07-16, 04:04 PM   #6
Inactive User

yeah that's a good point - haven't seen as much of this as it probably deserves. Reviewers take note
peugalisto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-07-16, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurred Line View Post
You would think they would at least do it for cars touted as touring cars. In city traffic you don't notice your cabin noise, but on a deserted highway at 2 am.......you notice.
Hi B L,

You must have a very quiet car then! I have a Citroen C5 and the engine and road noises are annoying in any motorway, from 50mph onwards.

By the way, you wrote "highway" - are you in America? If so, I think American cars are less noisy, and if you drive under 55mph speed limit then these 2 things together would explain your "deserted highway at 2 am". Over here (UK) the speed limit is 70mph.
Old 24-07-16, 05:36 PM   #8

My car is that quiet it's dangerous in car parks as no one hears it but that what you get with a pure electric Nissan leaf
Old 25-07-16, 09:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf07 View Post
Hi B L,By the way, you wrote "highway" - are you in America? If so, I think American cars are less noisy, and if you drive under 55mph speed limit then these 2 things together would explain your "deserted highway at 2 am".
The 55mph limit is ancient history now. Parts of some states now have an 80mph limit, Interstate 10 through western Texas for example. And the cars I have driven in the USA are no more or less noisy than over here.
Which? magazine note noise levels when they test cars, well worth a look, as it is not written by petrolhead motoring journalists, but tries to give an idea of what a car will be like to live with long term.

Roger.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in