Watch out !, there's a thief about ! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-11-17, 10:05 AM   #1

Default Watch out !, there's a thief about !

This is from the BBC website as thief's use a " serial box " to steal a new Merc ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-42132689
border_all likes this.
lovemycar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-11-17, 10:16 AM   #2

That's why I didn't go for the keyless option. There was a bit in the news last year about this method of car theft.

Phil
yorky52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-11-17, 10:39 AM   #3

Thanks .. I'll keep an eye out for any shady sorts carrying a cornflakes box.
xaudi likes this.

Old 27-11-17, 10:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky52 View Post
That's why I didn't go for the keyless option. There was a bit in the news last year about this method of car theft.
True, today any idiot with a smartphone can be a car thief... But I must say also without the keyless option it makes not much difference if the right person wants your car... it is gone in 60s....
Old 27-11-17, 10:52 AM   #5

Easy way to prevent it happening to you is don't leave your car keys anywhere near the front door to your house. All the box that they use does is boost the signal from your keys to the box/pad the other thief has that opens the car, if there is no signal from your keys because their in the back kitchen or furthest point to the car there will be no signal to pick up because your key signal is to weak.
Old 27-11-17, 10:59 AM   #6

You can keep the keyless in a aluminun foil
lovemycar likes this.
Old 27-11-17, 11:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5008 View Post
You can keep the keyless in a aluminun foil
Better still, put the keys in a steel safe.. Master Lock 0.15552L Combination Key Access Safe | Departments | DIY at B&Q
lovemycar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-11-17, 11:06 AM   #8

One thing I don't understand with the keyless entry is why on earth is the car allowed to drive away from it's key??

The thieves are using the signal booster to gain entry and start the engine.. fair enough. the car is fooled into thinking that the key is next to it or inside it. However one thing that I find as a massive design flaw is that you are essentially allowed to drive the car away from the key itself. There should be a system in place that constantly talks to the key to check whether the key is still within the range. Once it's not reachable then the engine should be cut off.

This should be quite easy to implement in all existing cars via software upgrade, I would suspect.
batalion24 likes this.
mikey81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-11-17, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey81 View Post
One thing I don't understand with the keyless entry is why on earth is the car allowed to drive away from it's key??

The thieves are using the signal booster to gain entry and start the engine.. fair enough. the car is fooled into thinking that the key is next to it or inside it. However one thing that I find as a massive design flaw is that you are essentially allowed to drive the car away from the key itself. There should be a system in place that constantly talks to the key to check whether the key is still within the range. Once it's not reachable then the engine should be cut off.

This should be quite easy to implement in all existing cars via software upgrade, I would suspect.
I know in early keyless start vehicles this flaw was present, but very quickly it was fixed so that engine would shut-off if you start driving without a key.
I plan on testing this today on my 5008, since I was wondering from day 1 what will happen if I start driving without a key inside the car.

I suppose that the the box they are using might be storing the key frequency once it unlocks the car, so the car still thinks key is present. I know the same principle was used for unlocking cars with normal remote keys, it was enough that they stored one unlock process on their device, and they could replicate it later because car manufacturers used same key-code algorithms on all of their keys, even accross several car brands.
Old 27-11-17, 11:45 AM   #10

On the 3008 you are able to drive away without the car.. I have unintentionally tested it myself

The thing is that the signal boosters would not store the frequency as it's not a factor in the keyless entry mechanism. I have noticed that on the key there is a AES-256 written on it which means that the key acts as an encryption endpoint. This means that in order to open the car the key's and car's authentication needs to happen and both "endpoints" need to pass it.

This is why I think that the tools used for stealing those cars are only signal boosters only.. nothing else. If the car was authenticating with the key every 1 minute and you would drive away from the key then the car should switch the engine off.
mikey81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in