Towing a caravan - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-05-13, 09:35 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Towing a caravan

Hi all, I haven't towed a caravan for over 20 years, we have decided to look at buying one again. My car is 407 2.0 Ltr HDi xline 55 plate, any advice on having a tow-bar fitted (what to advise the fitters, 407 Pug electrics etc) and just looked at 407 handbook says braked trailer weight 1,600kgs ? is this the maximum caravan weight I can tow. Just going to google what MTPLM means, these letters seem to be in the info on the caravans for sale in caravan trader. any constructive advice welcomed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-05-13, 09:37 PM   #2

Maximum braked weight is how much you can tow IF the trailer/caravan has brakes - the unbraked weight will be substantially less.... My 407 2.0Hdi also has a max braked weight of 1600kg but unbraked is 750kg

MTPLM = maximum technical permissible laden mass (pre 1998 it was known as MGW maximum gross weight), as in the maximum the van can weigh with all your items inside it.

Last edited by BigSlavey; 16-05-13 at 09:46 PM.
BigSlavey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-05-13, 11:15 AM   #3

when you see a caravan you like put all your car and caravan details into
What TowCar.com - All about Tow Cars and Towing Caravans

and it gives a good indication of performance etc. If like me your van is too old just find one with the same size/weight etc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 17-05-13, 02:13 PM   #4

The general advice is that caravan MTPLM is less or equal to 85% of the kerbweight of the car.
As far as electrics go it depends on the age of the van, new vans have a single 13 pin socket which supplies the rear lights and 12 volts to the fridge while you're towing, older vans (mine is a 2004) have 2 7 pin plugs 1 for the lights 1 for the 12 volts so for this you'd need twin 7 pin electrics, vans older still may only have 1 plug just for the lights. you can get adapters to convert the 13 pin plug on a new caravan to fit a 7 pin socket.

heres a link which might explain it better than I have.
http://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bar-electrics.html

Last edited by trumpeteom; 17-05-13 at 02:16 PM.
trumpeteom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-05-13, 09:07 PM   #5
Inactive User

Thanks for all the advice and Links, looks like they will be a great help, lots of vans to look at this week, should get a tow bar fitted 1st its been a good while since I towed but looking forward to it now I am retired, no need to rush back after a break, unload the van and jump on the work treadmill next day, (sorry to rub it in)
Old 17-05-13, 11:41 PM   #6
Inactive User

A caravan with a MTPLM of 1600kg is huge, 20ft+, 5 birth or very well built, any bigger and it would be in gypo territory!
chris407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in