TomTom Debacle - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-06-13, 11:51 AM   #1

Default TomTom Debacle

A long winded post but I'm not particularly happy with TomTom.

I used to have a TomTom Go 500 Music which was a very good navigation device with the benefit of Bluetooth, Ipod control and the ability to route the audio through the car stereo either through an audio cable or via the built in FM transmitter. The problem with this device was the charging & data mini USB socket came away from the PCB and the cost of repair would have been close to the cost of a new device so I went for a new device - BIG MISTAKE!!!

I should have had the repair done. The new devices require you to be online to update anything, you cannot download and store on your computer for later use. The device takes far longer to boot up than the older ones and the memory card appears to be only available for use with the maps (the Go500 allowed storing of MP3's so you could use it as a music source).

I bought a VIA350 around 10 months ago. On 02/05/2013 the TomTom software told me there were updates for my device. I tried to connect the satnav but it would not communicate with the software. Windows recognised the device but the TomTom software insisted it wasn't connected. The device uses the same kind of lead as a blackberry phone, Kindle keyboard && my HTC smartphone so I tried 3 other leads and still no communication.

I went to the TomTom website and searched for help and eventually found some information. This basically told me to soft reset the device - no difference. Next I tried the hard reset and again no difference. Next step was to re-install the TomTom software and you guessed it, no difference. The next step was to reload the device software (Yes, this was suggested on the website and later in my communications with TomTom). This involves putting the device into recovery mode which downloads the firmware via the TomTom software and reinstalls it on the device. How it is going to do this if the software cannot communicate with the device is beyond me but for the sake of completenes I tried and you got it, It didn't communicate and couldn't complete. The same thing happened on the desktop windows 7 64 bit that I have been using with the satnav for 10 months as well as my XP SP3 laptop.

At this point I contacted TomTom via the support pages telling them all of the above including the steps I had taken to try and rectify the situation. This was the same day at 02/05/2013 07.09 PM.

They told me to try a different browser, turn off my anti-virus and or firewall and then to install windows 7 32 bit. My reply was not complimentary. Why should I use a browser I have no wish to have on my PC, tuen off all protection while accessing the internet or change my operating system just to update a navigation device. The device worked with my 64bit windows 7 before so it isn't the operating system, browser, firewall or antivirus - especially as the same problem occurs on my 32 bit XP laptop.

They told me they were escalating to 2nd line support who then told me to do a firmware restore and if it didn't work to try it on another computer at which point I nearly exploded. My reply inpolitely told them that I had already tried these two steps and that if they bothered to read the information provided they would have seen that these steps didn't work. I also said I thought they were trying to stall so they could get out of repairing it free under the warranty but as I had reported the fault within the warranty period it wasn't going to work.

At this point, they accepted the device had a hardware fault and needed to be returned. They supplied a RMA number and pre-paid postage label (The only good thing they did) and I returned the device as soon as was convenient to me. From Posting to them acknowledging receipt was around 2 weeks. It then took them about 2 days to decide it was faulty and I was informed that they were sending a replacement.

Result I thought but NO No no no no no! I have been working in Germany for 4 days and when I got home on Thurday evening my replacement was waiting. I opened the box to find a refurbished unit which looked like a brand new unit. Tried to turn it on but it had a flat battery so I connected it to the home charger and turned it on and when it booted up it was showing a screen I have never seen before. It was displaying Press ok to end Pause. I pressed OK and the device shutdown. Switching it on resulted in it booting properly and I set the options I wanted. I left the device charging overnight (over 9 hours) and checked it this morning only to see the battery level was at 0%.

I've contacted TomTom who said it needs to go back for repair and as it is still under warranty, will be free of charge - I bloody well hope so.

It is now nearly 2 months since I first contacted them about a fault and still no resolution. Next time I buy a navigation solution whether it be a SatNav device or an app for my Smartphone, guess which company will not be getting my business.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-06-13, 12:59 PM   #2

Hi

That is darn bad luck, I used Garmin for years when it came to changing duly bought Garmin it had all sorts of issues for what it's worth the customer service was also appalling it did work but for sure I would never buy Garmin again. The main issues would not work with official android app cost me for services never supplied I now use I phone and tomtom app which is wonderful hope you get sorted

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
border_all is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-06-13, 02:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by border_all View Post
Hi

That is darn bad luck, I used Garmin for years when it came to changing duly bought Garmin it had all sorts of issues for what it's worth the customer service was also appalling it did work but for sure I would never buy Garmin again. The main issues would not work with official android app cost me for services never supplied I now use I phone and tomtom app which is wonderful hope you get sorted

I was considering a smartphone app BUT the choice of navigation apps is very limited. I bought an used HTC Radar which is a windows phone. The phone is about the best smartphone I've had and the interface is very good. I like the windows phone but they are not as well supported as the IOS and Android devices.

I've tried a couple of offline navigation apps, one of which is much better than my TomTom Via in that the postcode search is more accurate but they are aimed at the USA market. The voice commands could do with being ported over to the UK market.

storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 21-06-13, 03:02 PM   #4

I will give Garmin a big thumbs up for voice commands that was far better than any phone I tried. I used to use Samsung Galaxy until ice cream sandwich came out could not abide the text predictive text dumped it for iPhone 5 one thing I will give apple so far the apps work well. Never tried windows based phone mainly lack of apps.

border_all is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-06-13, 03:55 PM   #5
Inactive User

I have a Garmin Nuvi 250w...Only had one problem and that was me being an idiot and formatting the EEPROM. they replaced for 50.

It still working today and is my back up for my GPS builtin to the radio Igo 8.

A good free nav software for iOS is called "navfree" i use it every now and again, very basic but works also google maps works well.

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-06-13, 06:24 PM   #6

Erased the EEPROM -what were you trying to do - update the maps?
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-06-13, 06:46 PM   #7
Inactive User

Nope i was trying to reformat another memory stick...basically it was 32gb but no matter what it only detected like 2GB so i got hold of some software that "changes" it so it correct haha however i made a rookie mistake and in my haste i chose garmin that was plugged in

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Old 23-06-13, 06:47 PM   #8
Inactive User

Garmin let you overwrite maps if you get hold of "unlocked" versions lol

Old 23-06-13, 07:45 PM   #9

Whoa - that's something I'd do - but I wouldn't admit to it!! lol
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-06-13, 09:07 PM   #10
Inactive User

Haha ill admit my mistakes and hopefully myself and others will learn lol its when i dont it gets worrying haha

Now im making my mistakes on oracle and a dos system called opal...now theyre confusing haha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in