Speedo not working! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-15, 08:02 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Speedo not working!

Hi guys

Am at a loss here, hopefully someone out there can help me!

The speedo had stopped working completely. I fitted a new speed sensor on the gear box and no joy. I ended up buying a second hand speedo cluster on eBay and fitted that. The speedo works until you reach 30 mph then pauses for a moment and dies down to zero mph. When you stop and switch the ignition off it seems to reset and it works again until 30mph before it stops again.

Any ideas?!! Any feedback would be much appreciated

It's a 2003 307 1.4 petrol

Am stuck on what to do... Thank you!
Tommo523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-15, 08:06 PM   #2
Ginger Magic

Have you got an ABS fault..?

As far as I know the speed is calculated by the reluctor ring on the NSF wheel?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-15, 08:16 PM   #3

I agree i did not think any 307s had a speed sensor on the gearbox but i suppose there is a possibility you dont have ABS.

Old 02-12-15, 08:23 PM   #4
Inactive User

Thanks for the replies

Well the sensor I replaced is called a vehicle speed sensor and runs of a gear on the top of the gearbox.

Yes there is an abs fault on the dash. But I wasn't sure if this was related or not.

do you think that this sensor is nothing to do with vehicle speed?
Old 02-12-15, 08:25 PM   #5
Inactive User

Has anyone had this problem before? I can't understand why it works but only until 30mph
Old 02-12-15, 08:29 PM   #6

The sensor you replaced is the crank sensor and your speedo fault is something to do with your ABS fault.

1 or more of your wheel sensors are not reading properly and as stated above the left front signal feeds the speedo plenty posts relating to ABS faults and fixes on the forum

Happy reading
Old 03-12-15, 08:40 AM   #7

Is it a recent issue?

Agree with what others are saying, the ABS unit sends the speed signal. My understanding is that is uses one of the front sensors as the main source and confirms that with the other sensors before sending a speed pulse to the BSI via the CAN network.

I'd be inclined to have any faults read using Planet and if necessary, remove the LH front wheel and arch liner and see if there is an issue with the wiring/connector. I was talking with the local dealer (very old school but extremely knowledgably and helpful if lacking in slick customer service) about just this issue last week. He mentioned that there was an issue early on with water ingress into the wiring on the ABS/ECU unit and it was a recall issue. The solution was to "pack the connector wiring with a grease to reinforce the waterproofing of the connector" (his words)

If it is a recent issue, I'm wondering if the recent v heavy rain has resulted in some water ingress
britinbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-15, 03:32 PM   #8

There was a recall on the 307 for water ingress on the ABS ECU. The fix that I am aware of was to fit a protective bag over the ecu.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in