Sky Q...is it worth changing? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-03-17, 02:40 PM   #1

Default Sky Q...is it worth changing?

Is it just me that cannot see the point in paying 12 more per month just to get the same programmes?

They boast 4K but it isn't. According to what I've read it isn't 4K; it's actually 2.4K and on a (say) 50" 4K TV you'd have to sit less than a metre away to see any difference, or go to a 65" and sit the normal viewing distance.

The big difference to viewing is High Dynamic Range (HDR).

If you buy a 4K without HDR you may as well save your money and live with HD instead of UHD.

HDR gives you more colour, contrast, clarity and depth of field giving almost true to life vision of almost 3D quality. Like looking through an open window.

Sky Q doesn't have HDR either.

So; apart from the extra facility to view on a tablet, what's the point of getting Sky Q?
Advertisement

Old 16-03-17, 03:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan40alt View Post
Is it just me that cannot see the point in paying 12 more per month just to get the same programmes?

They boast 4K but it isn't. According to what I've read it isn't 4K; it's actually 2.4K and on a (say) 50" 4K TV you'd have to sit less than a metre away to see any difference, or go to a 65" and sit the normal viewing distance.

The big difference to viewing is High Dynamic Range (HDR).

If you buy a 4K without HDR you may as well save your money and live with HD instead of UHD.

HDR gives you more colour, contrast, clarity and depth of field giving almost true to life vision of almost 3D quality. Like looking through an open window.

Sky Q doesn't have HDR either.

So; apart from the extra facility to view on a tablet, what's the point of getting Sky Q?
The difference between HDR and none-HDR is 10x more noticeable than the difference between 1080p and 4K.

However most TV's, including those branded as HDR Pro are not fully capable of displaying in HDR yet. They simply support the input format.

Unless you have an OLED TV, where instead of having a backlight, each individual pixel acts as a light that can be turned off, then you will barely see a difference.

My advice, wait until you get an OLED TV, then the difference will be amazing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PaulMillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-03-17, 04:28 PM   #3

Hi Paul.

Yes, OLED is extremely good. I have a Samsung SUHD 4K TV which is also very good with HDR.

On YouTube there are many 4K HDR demo selections which are just stunning. You feel you can just walk into the screen.

Sky Q though feels like it is being mis-sold to people as it is not really what they lead you to believe.

Maybe I've got it wrong but to me UHD means 4K; not 2.4K. Without HDR you may as well leave it to the TV to upscale from 1080 without which you would only see a quarter size picture with a large black border.

Must admit my TV does a really good job on my HD DVDs (via my new 4K player) and my small collection of 4K HDR movies is really good, especially 'The Martian'.

Both Netflix and Amazon Prime have 4K movies available in HDR so I may be better cancelling my Sky Cinema and moving to one of them; probably Netflix as they seem to have more films available in HD and UHD.

Maybe I'll wait a while to see what happens in the next few months with Sky and wait for some new releases of 4K HDR BluRay DVDs.

Al.

Last edited by allan40alt; 16-03-17 at 05:12 PM.
allan40alt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 16-03-17, 10:32 PM   #4

I decided to do a comparison tonight and found that I get a better HD picture via my aerial on terrestrial than I get on Sky HD.

I compared the same channels on the same programmes and the aerial HD picture was definitely crisper, sharper and brighter.

In addition I compared the Sky Sports HD against BT Sport HD. Yet again the picture was better by quite a degree on BT Sport HD.

Is Sky HD only 720 resolution?

I think I'd be better switching to BT YouView Total Entertainment which will give me some sports in UHD and with the top Netflix added I'll get UHD with HDR for movies.

I currently pay 80 per month to Sky. The top BT package with Sport HD/UHD and Netflix HD/UHD HDR is around 27 per month and many of the same programmes we watch Discovery HD etc.

True I'll be missing the extra Sky footy but I can add that via BT if necessary.

Anyone got any comments/experience regarding BT YouView please?

Al.
Old 17-03-17, 08:34 AM   #5

I can't comment on BT. However I used to have Sky until about 8 years ago they put the price up once again and I said enough is enough. I mean, how many programmes can I watch at the same time? ONE, and that includes anything I've recorded. So, back then, I figured 48 a month to watch one programme is crazy - I know, you'll say "Ah but what about the variety".

So I jacked in Sky, bought a new Pano Plasma HDR TV with Freeview and added a Humax Freesat PVR. I know plasma is old tech now but it still gives a cracking picture. What I get for no monthly fee is sufficient for our needs which includes plenty of HDR programmes but, I agree, there is a load of c**p as well.

A friend of mine bought a new TV in November and Sky said he needed a new Q box at 12 per month extra - just as Allan said. But, they couldn't fit it until all the new customers got theirs in time for Christmas For me, I refuse to kowtow to Sky, BT or whoever just to satisfy their corporate desire to control the world. I just wish I could do without Google

All this probably doesn't help you Allan, just my feelings about it all. I'm sure a lot of people are quite happy with Sky but 12 extra per month for a worse service doesn't seem right to me - rant over
allan40alt likes this.
508GT180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-03-17, 08:38 AM   #6

Quote:
I decided to do a comparison tonight and found that I get a better HD picture via my aerial on terrestrial than I get on Sky HD.

I compared the same channels on the same programmes and the aerial HD picture was definitely crisper, sharper and brighter.

In addition I compared the Sky Sports HD against BT Sport HD. Yet again the picture was better by quite a degree on BT Sport HD.

Is Sky HD only 720 resolution?

I think I'd be better switching to BT YouView Total Entertainment which will give me some sports in UHD and with the top Netflix added I'll get UHD with HDR for movies.

I currently pay 80 per month to Sky. The top BT package with Sport HD/UHD and Netflix HD/UHD HDR is around 27 per month and many of the same programmes we watch Discovery HD etc.

True I'll be missing the extra Sky footy but I can add that via BT if necessary.

Anyone got any comments/experience regarding BT YouView please?

Al.
If I remember correctly, Sky HD was 1080i. I dont actually have my TV plugged in as a 'TV' to be honest at home.

It's a smart TV, and we have netflix, and android box and a network drive that we use for films and tv shows. I just can't stand the shi*e on TV nowadays, nor can she.

I have a real 4k HDR Pro TV at home, and the xbox one S which can play 4k HDR Blurays. So far we have only watched 'the martian' but it looked amazing. We have pre-ordered the Harry potter fantastic beast film which will be arriving in a few days. I can't wait to see what that looks like!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PaulMillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-03-17, 09:05 AM   #7

I've just done some more searching and it would appear that Sky broadcast their HD in 1080i and 720p so it will depend which rate they choose to broadcast at for the programme you're watching (and in which region of the World).

You will not get such a good picture with 'interlaced' as you get with 'progressive'.....or will you? Some comments indicate you get the same resolution with both.

All I know is that I get a much sharper, clearer and brighter picture with BT Sport HD than I get with Sky Sport HD.

Sky Q HD evidently is also broadcast at 1080i as the same transmission is used for Sky+HD boxes.

Sky Q UHD is (according to the reports I've read on the web) 2.4K not 4K. I'd like some more info on that point from someone in the know though. In any case without HDR it really doesn't seem worth paying any extra per month.

Last edited by allan40alt; 17-03-17 at 09:32 AM.
Old 17-03-17, 11:52 AM   #8

Amazing!!

Our hall power socket is behind the small sideboard so I need a short extension lead to get access. The BT modem is currently plugged in that way.

The TV though is in the lounge and we cannot run the connection over our wooden floors.

I spoke with BT YouView yesterday and they said I could use a plug-in Mini Connector to transfer the signal via the house wiring circuit. The socket behind the TV would be used for the connection to the Ultra YouView box and as it is a 'through-pass' I could still use the socket for the TV etc.

Great, so I spoke to BT YouView today and they said that I couldn't use the extension lead as the Mini Connector has to be plugged directly into the socket. Moreover; you can't use a Mini Connector with Ultra!!

Has anyone used these broadband Mini Connectors successfully plugged into an extension socket? ....and with YouView Ultra?

My broadband speed is 50Mb/s so it's in good shape even if it means I'll lose a bit by going via a short extension socket.

Last edited by allan40alt; 05-04-17 at 09:45 PM.
Old 19-03-17, 10:07 AM   #9

Re: BT YouView Ultra

Quote:
Amazing!!......................................... .. Moreover; you can't use a Mini Connector with Ultra!!....................
That's what BT told me ...... but this is what their product page says:

The BT Mini Connectors work with speeds of up to 1GB and can even be used with our Ultra HD. This makes it easy for you to self install BT TV Ultra HD without an engineer visit.

I give up!

https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-...7372-CMS2.html

Update: These Mini Connector Kits are far cheaper from Amazon......and may be even cheaper from ebay...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N1PQX...+Connector+kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...r+kit&_sacat=0

Last edited by allan40alt; 05-04-17 at 10:01 PM.
Old 19-03-17, 11:11 PM   #10

Today I had a reply from Sky regarding Sky Q UHD:

We'll show Ultra HD sports events, TV shows and movies in a picture resolution of 3840x2160 pixels at 50 frames per second.
We recommend watching Ultra HD in 10-bit colour (not all TVs support this and you'll need to enable it on some TVs, in TV settings) as this will give you the best viewing experience, with smoother colour gradients.
We don't currently support HDR but we're working to bring you the best possible Ultra HD experience so we may look at supporting HDR in the future.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in