Section 75 Question - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-05-15, 09:04 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Section 75 Question

Hey Guys,

So long story short I was sold a dodgy car it turns out that the car had been "doctored" or "covered up" prior to selling and it is the power steering which has failed resulting in a 1200 bill from the garage! I have only had the car two weeks! lol....

So the trader will not discuss this with me and I paid by credit card.. (Thank god) and if I get the refund from the Credit card company what happens to the car if the trader does not pick it up?

Does anybody have any experience with this?

In addition to the above, if anybody has ever claimed a couple of grand via Section 75, how long did it take you to go through the whole process?

I appreciate your replies!
Advertisement

Old 28-05-15, 09:29 AM   #2

I would report the trader to your local trading standards office as they are in breach of the sale of goods act. They will be able to advise you further regarding the legal procedure.
As the credit card company are jointly liable they should refund you and issue a charge back against the trader.
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-05-15, 02:35 PM   #3
Inactive User

I managed to speak to one of the guys at the place and they say that they will pick it up and repair the car. Am I within my rights to demand a refund instead of a repair?

I do not trust the company to do the repairs.

Old 28-05-15, 03:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corticarte View Post
I managed to speak to one of the guys at the place and they say that they will pick it up and repair the car. Am I within my rights to demand a refund instead of a repair?

I do not trust the company to do the repairs.
the car is not fit for purpose then yes you could get a refund
Old 28-05-15, 03:04 PM   #5

You are within your rights to demand a full refund. Have a Google for 'used cars sale of goods act'. I would still contact trading standards even after you have got your money back. If the trader is at fault then they should be stopped from operating if they don't comply.
You must make it clear you want a full refund, do it in writing.
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-05-15, 03:14 PM   #6
Inactive User

I sent a recorded letter to the trader this morning I have pasted the content below.

Do you think it is okay? I think I covered everything?

Prestige Cars Coventry

172 Lockhurst Lane

Coventry

CV65NY

Dear Prestige Cars Coventry,

Complaint about faulty goods

I bought a Peugeot 407 Coupe KW07 HXP from you on 09/05/15. I paid 2250.

I now find the goods have the following fault:

Power steering failure, upon inspection by the local mechanics it appears that the

Steering Rack will need a replacement and there are suspicious ties and jubilee clips in

various locations suggesting this may have been covered up.

In addition to the above, there are various other non***mechanical issues such as the

parking sensors for example which are also faulty.

Due to this vehicle not being fit for purpose and of a safety concern I am requesting a full

refund of the 2250 paid by Credit card and I politely request that you collect the vehicle

as soon as possible as it is not in a drivable state currently as any more driving may

damage the car further I have been told.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) goods you supply must be fit for

purpose. As there was a problem with the goods when I bought them, I request that you

provide a full refund.

I have enclosed a copy of the receipt in support of my claim.

Please respond within 14 days of receiving this letter.

Yours Faithfully
Old 28-05-15, 03:15 PM   #7
Inactive User

well the formatting came out a bit strange but you get the gist of things?
Old 29-05-15, 11:08 AM   #8

I'm no legal expert but I believe that if you let them attempt to repair the vehicle you forfeit your right to a full refund.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-05-15, 11:58 AM   #9
Inactive User

hmm, well I am taking it back to the garage tomorrow down the road for a full inspection to see if there are any other hidden nasties or signs of the car being in a crash and privately repaired prior to allowing them to collect.

I do like the car so if this is the only problem perhaps it is just best and easiest to let them repair it, they said they will be fitting a brand new part.

Trading Standards say that I have the right to refuse the work carried out once it has been done if it is not satisfactory but i have to have a reason.

Last edited by Corticarte; 29-05-15 at 11:59 AM. Reason: addition
Corticarte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-05-15, 01:59 PM   #10

I'm a little surprised at the steering giving problems as there weren't any indications of a power steering issue from the diagnostic. It is a nice motor and if the seller were to repair the steering to a good standard then it could well be the right way to go. Getting an independant check is probably a wise move as it would give you the information needed to make an informed decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in