Scottish devolution - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Griogarach
  • 1 Post By reliable406
  • 1 Post By chopper1192

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-09-13, 01:33 PM   #1

Default Scottish devolution

Quite simply, the Scots can't afford to do it.

Public spend of 40bn against revenue of 27bn.

Mr Micawber would have a funny turn.

Independence means tax hikes or benefit cuts - who would vote for that?

Migration over the border to the UK?
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-09-13, 01:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanless View Post

Migration over the border to the UK?
We'll have to build a wall to stop them coming!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1.6THP GTLine EAT6 Leather+Grip+ACC+O&G+Smart Boot
mooi1uk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-09-13, 02:19 PM   #3
pr1vatepiles

Said this since the start. Let them leave and make a mess. They when they come crawling back, make a treaty that makes them regret messing us about in first place.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 18-09-13, 02:35 PM   #4
chopper1192

The Royal Bank of Scotland alone would have been sufficient to bring down the Scottish economy, had Scotland been independent when the bank collapsed.

It's a moot point, cos they aren't going to go that route.
Old 18-09-13, 03:51 PM   #5
Inactive User

As a Jock that has been out of there for ten years, I can only go on how it used to be, and what I read, with a little bit of personal opinion thrown in...

First of all, let me state it is the stupidist thing I have ever heard.

Devolution was a great step, purely from the viewpoint that with the differing legal and education systems north of the border, it did seem at times that Whitehall was a wee bit out of touch. These days, they seem to be out of touch with the whole country.

But that is as far is it needs to go. Different areas of the UK having control of local issues. For what it is worth, I think England should also have an assembly, like Scotland, Ireland, and Wales, and the UK government should only deals wit matters that involve the UK as a whole. I don't think it is proper that everyone but England has effectively 2 tiers of government. England should also have a level of government focussing on issues that are purely English issues. Why does anyone outside of England have a say in pure English matters (via Whitehall) when the English voice cannot be heard at the Scottish Assembly?

Each of the UK countries each bring their own strengths and weaknesses to the Union.

Separated, all may feel a benefit in their own stronger areas, but all will most definitely take substantial losses. Maybe not immediately obvious what those are, but there is strength through numbers, and economies of scale.

All this plastic patriotism shite is dangerous. Let 16 y.o. voters have a say? Great idea. Not. Filled to the brim with Thunderbird, and seen Braveheart too many times to make an unbiased decision, with a wee bit of ignorance and bigotry thrown in for good measure. Madness.

Each country within the UK needs to have its own identity, but as part of a bigger picture. I have no idea what they think they will achieve by breaking away.

As a country, we Jocks can't raise a football team, never mind an Army. Oil revenues only play a small part on the stage, and won't last forever. What about all the work and income I'm areas with a military presence? Ghost towns overnight....

I have lived and worked all over, and although I am now based in Germany for the time being, I consider myself a UK citizen. Not Scottish. Not British. A UK citizen, from Scotland.

Its sad to think that the country I come home to may have destroyed itself for the sake of some petty, thick as thieves, greedy arsehole politicians, and a bunch of halfwits who can't see the big picture voting the wrong way, for all the wrong reasons.
Old 18-09-13, 04:56 PM   #6

I am Scottish living in Scotland and I KNOW it could not work I live in the real world regardless of what the man in the street thinks Scotland CANNOT survive on its own.

The scary thing is all the halfwits who are going to vote yes believe all the bollox about oil revenues etc etc

They say Maggie and the torries killed off the coal industry and they still believe this to this day and this is the main fuel for the yes vote

These are the same people who are sitting in an ex council house that Maggie allowed them to buy cheaply

Sad fact is the coal industry would be dead now anyway had they not privatised gas BT water British Rail etc etc they would ALL be in a worse state than they are now.

Not everything Maggie done was right BUT she had the balls to do what she believed was right and NOBODY since could fill her trousers or indeed have the balls to stand up for what they believe in certainly nobody at the puppet parliament in hollyrood

People in Scotland need to get over it and vote for the present and future of Scotland not dwell on the past as they are doing now
mooi1uk likes this.
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-09-13, 05:07 PM   #7

Scotland should stay part of the union

Simple

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
border_all is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-09-13, 05:31 PM   #8

The union flag wouldn't look right either with no blue innit.
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-09-13, 06:28 PM   #9
chopper1192

I'm Shetland born, living in England (hoping to go back in the next few years) and I would vote no.
border_all likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in