Road Tax - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-02-14, 08:18 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Road Tax

I knew they were moving the current paper disk over to a digital version but only recently found out its not going to be transferable between owners, meaning the current owner has to claim the tax back and a new owner has to apply for new tax.

To me they seem to be trying to save money and solve a problem by creating more problems and generating more revenue by making themselves work harder for it. They will now have to process more refunds and new applications every time a vehicle is sold. There is going to be a higher risk of driving an untaxed vehicle also, especially when moving over to a new vehicle or borrowing/renting as you won't be able to check with a quick glance and wouldn't know till you were pulled over by a copper with ANPR.

Also if they continue the current system where you can only claim back un used months on the tax they will be getting a extra months revenue every time a car is sold.

The tax seems totally pointless these days and with it not being transferable your buying tax for a vehicle that can only be used by the current owner, whats next the MOT isn't transferable.

They reckon there will be a reduction in the cost of the tax though approx 5-10%, yeah for 1 year until they realise its actually costing much more with all the new applications lol
pitkin2020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-02-14, 01:16 PM   #2

But if there's a couple of months tax and you can't be arsed claiming it back and the new owner taxes it then the government make more money,

Or maybe I'm on the wrong track there?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-02-14, 03:22 PM   #3

Yes martin that is the case BUT it seems what they are doing is making it illegal to sell a car with tax I believe they think there are still loads of people buying cars with tax and running them without insurance and this is their way of reducing that but to be honest I do not believe the problem is as wide spread as they claim it is.

A lot of uninsured drivers being caught are not intentionally uninsured they genuinely made an error or believe wrongly that their own insurance covers the use of someone elses uninsured vehicle it is a a small minority that flout the system.

I have just taxed my clio 30 a year to tax it I certainly would not bother cashing it in !!
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 27-02-14, 04:52 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Yes martin that is the case BUT it seems what they are doing is making it illegal to sell a car with tax I believe they think there are still loads of people buying cars with tax and running them without insurance and this is their way of reducing that but to be honest I do not believe the problem is as wide spread as they claim it is.

A lot of uninsured drivers being caught are not intentionally uninsured they genuinely made an error or believe wrongly that their own insurance covers the use of someone elses uninsured vehicle it is a a small minority that flout the system.

I have just taxed my clio 30 a year to tax it I certainly would not bother cashing it in !!
That sort of makes sense TBH but surely if those who are intentionally not insuring a vehicle just wont tax it either now lol. Your not going to tax it just not to pay insurance you wouldn't bother with either if you were that way inclined.

There will always be buying who don't bother to claim it back which is their choice and of course the government is getting money for old rope then but if your then going to have to tax your next car your paying out twice really.
pitkin2020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-02-14, 05:23 PM   #5

Preventing the transfer of tax to a new owner will have zero effect on anyone who chooses not to insure. The number plate recognition system will flag a vehicle without insurance just as it would flag one without tax. I bought a 50cc scooter for my son for his 16th birthday. There were a few months tax left on the scooter and I insured it online with the insurance to commence at 12:01 am on his birthday. He took it for a spin as soon as he could and was pulled by the police and given a notice to produce his insurance documents at the police station. The insurance database had no updated and showed he was not insured. Fortunately, the cover note and policy document arrived within the time he had to produce and it went no further.

Those inclined to drive without insurance will simply risk driving without tax. Doing away with the tax disc means that they will no longer risk being shopped because they don't have the disc and if they can get away without having insurance then they will also get away without tax.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-02-14, 05:24 PM   #6

You still wont be able to tax it if its not insured anyway so insurance is needed to get tax as it is now.

The only difference is the tax is not transferable but having said that not sure how they are going to enforce it

Storeman even without a disc displayed the database will still show car as taxed or not so the lack of disc wont help if they pass an ANPR equipped police car

Last edited by reliable406; 27-02-14 at 05:28 PM.
Old 27-02-14, 05:37 PM   #7

Thumbs down

I understand the fact those who don't insure won't tax a vehicle either, so no probs with the new system in that respect.
Where do you stand when you go an buy a car privately, usually a weekend, no post offices to go and produce your documents at, even if you were to carry a portable printer to print your instant car insurance certificate but still nowhere to go with the new keeper supplement....
Cibear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-02-14, 05:47 PM   #8

Well you have to wait till Monday then they don't care they get your money anyway
Old 27-02-14, 06:01 PM   #9

Think the idea is that it all gets done online, no idea where a Post Office fits in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-02-14, 06:11 PM   #10

you can't tax a new purchase online as it would go to the previous keeper and since DVLA can take 6 weeks to send out a fresh V5 how will that work out

Hence the need to go to a post office to get the tax.

They will need to update a lot of systems for it to work.

We now have the same issue for Cat C cars you used to get your VIC pass then go to local DVLA office to tax it since they are now closed you are supposed to go to a post office BUT the post offices do not know what they can and cant do and the computer does not get updated with the VIC pass for 3 days !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in