RHD to LHD Conversion; good or bad idea? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-06-15, 07:27 AM   #1

Default RHD to LHD Conversion; good or bad idea?

Hi guys. Pleasure to meet everyone. I'm new here & this is my first post. I would appreciate some advice from you veteran geniuses at the forum.

I live in a country where the norm is LHD. I have been searching for a good 206 GTI 180 all over the Internet & all my search results point me to the UK.

I have been considering buying one and having it modified to LHD. But I don't know if it may have any negative effects. Can someone please help me with advice? Or better yet, could I get a link to proper LHD versions of the car? Many many thanks.
206GTI180Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-06-15, 09:13 AM   #2

It will be a time consuming and expensive job. I think it would be much easier to find a factory built lhd car, even at a substantial premium over a rhd car.

Where are you?, is it a problem to have rhd where you are?. I have been driving lhd cars in the UK for many years with no problems.

Roger.
Old 24-06-15, 02:29 PM   #3
Inactive User

The only real negative effects from an LHD conversion, if it is done properly will be on your finances as it will probably cost you more than the car is worth. Would think you might struggle to find someone in the UK to do it as there are far more LHD cars in the world than RHD. As Rusty Roger says you are far better of sourcing a LHD version.

Old 30-06-15, 10:16 PM   #4

Roger, Andy, thank you so much for the kind feedback and wisdom. I am in Nigeria, and the Federal Road Safety Corps don't take the RHD thing lightly. There's no permit or anything that will give me any shot at owning one. I have searched for the LHD versions, but no dice. I'm really deflated within. Anyone know any good leads?

Oh, & please forgive my late reply. I'm a novice at this, bear with me. Cheers mates. You guys rock.

Eddy.

Last edited by 206GTI180Fan; 30-06-15 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-07-15, 07:43 AM   #5

You can't find one in France?. I find this very surprising, it's where they are made after all.
Perhaps some former French colonies in Africa might have established French car dealers infrastructure.

But sourcing the parts to convert a lhd car to rhd might be an immense problem. It might be that the lhd bodies have significantly different bulkheads and steering mountings which could mean re-engineering the car.

I think persist in your quest for a lhd example, or (forgive this heresy ) look for another car with similar dynamics more readily available.

Roger.
Old 01-07-15, 08:53 AM   #6

I agree with the other posters,converting from right to left is not an option.
An old friend of mine has been dealing in LHD cars in the UK for over 30 years so he may be able to help you? LHD Cars for Sale | Left Hand Drive Cars | LHD Place, Basingstoke Give them a call to find out all about your idea.
He has a huge stock of LHD cars,he may be able to find a GTi180 for you,he also arranges all the shipping/paper work/legals etc etc.
Mind you I expect having a car shipped to Nigeria will be very expensive?
I`m very surprised you have drawn a blank nearer to home,Peugeot`s go down well over there.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-15, 10:16 PM   #7

Thanks you guys. I will take Roger's advice. & yes Sir I will give your old buddie a call tomorrow & ask if he may be able to help. Yes Peugeot cars go down well here. Except I've never seen a 180bhp 206 here. People don't even believe it exists. I'll also be sure to keep you in the loop on progress made. I thank you very much for your time & I will be buzzing you soon.

Ed.
Old 02-07-15, 12:09 PM   #8

Um, guys? Afternoon. Hope work's going good. I was able to connect with the LHD Cars people suggested by Old Pug. Found one that was mouth watering. But it will cost 5000 to ge it to the UK for shipping to Nigeria. :disappointed:

What do you advise?
Old 02-07-15, 05:17 PM   #9

I thought the shipping from Europe would be expensive,5K !!! you could buy another nice Peugeot for that.
There is no way round it unless you want to spend that sort of dosh,so it looks like finding a LHD one in Africa is the only sensible option?
Just a thought?? why not contact your local Peugeot Dealer to find out if GTi180`s were ever sold in Africa,if so where?
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-15, 08:54 PM   #10

It just killed my spirits Bro. Believe me. He did say that he will look for cheaper ones, though nothing as nice as the one he showcased. I'll manage until he gets back to me. The truth about dealers here is...they only prioritize mass market offerings. Call them bandwagon hoppers if you may. It's what they are mostly good for. Very few genuine individual choices. I live in Kaduna, there's so many regular 206's here. If ever a GTI180 made it across to this side of the map, I would have seen it drive by. Oh well....

So, the waiting game begins. I'm bent on the GTI180. I will just have to keep searching.

Ed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in