Radio Aerial Issue - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-05-19, 07:30 PM   #1

Default Radio Aerial Issue

I've put this in Off-topic, because the car in question is a Suzuki Ignis (2005, not the current model).

The original radio/CD player died the death, so I've fitted a new Sony radio/media player. No problem until I connected the aerial and attempted to tune stations - I could only get hissing and one very weak station.

After a lot of head-scratching, I disconnected the car aerial, and plugged a meter probe into the center terminal of the aerial lead extension (still plugged into the radio), to act as an impromptu antenna. Suddenly, everything worked. More head-scratching, and I found I could get it to work from the car aerial if I disconnected the screen conductor at the end of the adapter. Reconnecting it produced the original symptoms. With the screen disconnected, there is no interference from the car's engine, so apparently no downside.

I then insulated the screen from the adapter plug, and I'm happy enough with the outcome, but I cannot understand what the problem was, and why breaking the screen continuity solved it.

Any ideas, please?

Last edited by IanML; 21-05-19 at 07:33 PM.
IanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-05-19, 08:58 AM   #2

Is it just an antenna at the end? Are you sure there was no aerial amplifier too, which needed a phantom or other 12v supply? Disconnecting the screen allows the cable to act as an aerial too.
Old 25-05-19, 08:30 AM   #3

Thanks. That's a good thought, but there's no indication of that in the manufacturer's Service Manual - the text or the wiring diagram.

I suppose it could just be built into the aerial. That must be it.

Old 25-05-19, 09:28 AM   #4

All Peugeots have an amp in the aerial base. I think it's now fairly common practice.

Earlier models would have had a special 12v supply which would come from the radio, later models run a phantom supply along the aerial coax.
If that supply is midding then you would get very poor reception.

The other thing to check is that the antenna is making contact with the coax. Don't know the setup you have but many are screwed into the base and sometimes don't make a good contact.
Old 25-05-19, 11:42 AM   #5

Assuming it is an aerial amplifier for which the power is supplied down the coax, would the coax screen would be the negative side of the power supply and the positive on the core conductor?

If so, I would like to experiment by connecting dc to the coax, but I'm wary of applying +12v to the antenna socket of the radio, so I've thought about isolating it (dc-wise) from the core of the coax with a capacitor. Any idea of a suitable value?
Old 25-05-19, 08:32 PM   #6

Probably.

Have you been able to look at the antenna base? Pugs of that era would have had a seperate supply, not using the co-ax. If you could see under the antenna base you should be able to see what wires are involved.
Old 06-06-19, 09:59 PM   #7

Well, I found an adapter which provides phantom power to the antenna, for European cars (VAG, etc) with aftermarket radios, so, thinking that the Ignis was built in Hungary, it might solve the issue.

Unfortunately, no luck - poor signal without the phantom power, and worse with it! (this was without using my modified adapter with the screen disconnected). I'm guessing that the original radio did supply phantom power, but not +12V.

I think the only solution would be a replacement aerial.
Old 06-06-19, 10:44 PM   #8

Are you sure the aerial amp uses the phantom method of supply? Earlier Pugs used a 12v supply seperate to the co-ax. On those, I have no doubt putting phantom 12v up the co-ax wouldn't help in any way.

Some aerial amps now use 5v.
Old 07-06-19, 06:46 AM   #9

No, I'm not sure, but there is no indication of a separate wiring run to the aerial base in the Suzuki wiring diagrams (and they are usually very good). Also, before the stereo died (symptoms of death no radio, no CD drive action, no indications, so probably complete power failure), the radio was fine. And the power was fine on the power socket. I could tell that before I checked it with a meter, because the "thief deterrent" flashing red light on the radio worked with the ignition off, but extinguished when the key was turned, so both red and yellow lines were ok.

I could try 5V using a dry battery.
Old 07-06-19, 07:16 AM   #10

Well if the original radio worked fine until the radio croaked, but the new one doesn't, clearly there is a compatibility problem between the existing aerial and the new radio.

What type of antenna is fitted, long or short or non existant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in