Quality tools - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-15, 09:25 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Quality tools

This could cause a bit of controversy...

Apart from the obvious (Snap-on, Wera, De-Walt etc.) which tool brands do you consider high quality and which would you never use?

For me, I wouldn't touch: Am-tech, Black-spur, Draper, Rolson, Silverline with a barge pole.

Having said that, Draper Expert are excellent and I happily use them; so why does a company produce such different quality products?

I have never had a Halford's Professional tool let me down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-15, 09:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetech View Post
This could cause a bit of controversy...

Apart from the obvious (Snap-on, Wera, De-Walt etc.) which tool brands do you consider high quality and which would you never use?

For me, I wouldn't touch: Am-tech, Black-spur, Draper, Rolson, Silverline with a barge pole.

Having said that, Draper Expert are excellent and I happily use them; so why does a company produce such different quality products?

I have never had a Halford's Professional tool let me down.
halfords pro
draper expert
clarke pro
blue point (part of snap on)
snap on
teng tools

thats a few names i can think of all with lifetime guarantee
Old 06-11-15, 09:51 AM   #3

Sometimes the cheap ones like Rolson, Blackspur etc. have just the tool you need so don't write them off, they can be very useful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1.6THP GTLine EAT6 Leather+Grip+ACC+O&G+Smart Boot
mooi1uk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-15, 02:08 PM   #4

It all depends on what you want the tools for and how much work they do.
If your a professional with your own workshop it would be Snap-On,Facom,MAC etc.Who normally pay regular visits with a stocked van and the tools are guaranteed for life.
If you're just doing DIY routine servicing etc most of the budget brands like Halfords,Sealey,Draper and online from Machine Mart will suffice.
One tool name that was a joke in my day was Kamarzo (spelling?),very very cheep but lasted one job.
By the way is Britool still around? when I started my apprenticeship 50 years ago I bought a Britool tool kit,some of it is still in use today and in good condition.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-15, 02:11 PM   #5

I have a lot of Halford Pro tools and they have been great. I also use Facim tools and Knipex pliers and cutters. Also I have some Sealy breakerbars and impact sockets

The choice I make depends on how much I am likely to use it. For occasional use, I tend to go for cheaper tools, but for regular or heavy use, I'll buy better or best quality
britinbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-15, 02:15 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Pug View Post
It all depends on what you want the tools for and how much work they do.
If your a professional with your own workshop it would be Snap-On,Facom,MAC etc.Who normally pay regular visits with a stocked van and the tools are guaranteed for life.
If you're just doing DIY routine servicing etc most of the budget brands like Halfords,Sealey,Draper and online from Machine Mart will suffice.
One tool name that was a joke in my day was Kamarzo (spelling?),very very cheep but lasted one job.
By the way is Britool still around? when I started my apprenticeship 50 years ago I bought a Britool tool kit,some of it is still in use today and in good condition.
When I started my apprenticeship 55 years ago I couldn't afford Britool so bought Bedford Vanadium instead, still have most of them but not the Britool hexigan socket set thank goodness.

308 SW 2.0 HDI 136 FAP SE Dec 2009.
nickcc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-15, 02:19 PM   #7

None of the modern tools are really good quality to be honest

i have a lot of tools from various manufacturers and i use snap on stuff the least i hardly have any snap on to be truthful i find it overpriced average quality stuff

Facom stuff is good but expensive

most of my stuff is halfrauds pro or just cheap unknown brands as its all poor quality anyway nowadays

I bought 2 blue point service sets a few years ago the ratchets were pants although the sockets were good

I have 2 clarke buzz guns and an electric clarke gun for stubborn stuff the clarke stuff is every bit as good as the gucci snap on gear at 4 times the price !!

My pipe flaring tool is a sykes pickavant probably older than i am and works perfectly
Old 06-11-15, 06:04 PM   #8

have mostly halfords stuff. it pays to buy decent ratchets though and the halfords ones you can buy repair kits only had to replace one where the pin seized with rust
Old 06-11-15, 08:19 PM   #9

Have a real mixture of tools, a few Facom and Draper and an assortment of no name tools. The tools I use the most and are surprisingly excellent quality are a set of combination metric spanners from 6mm up to 32mm and a socket set with 1/2" & 3/8" square drive metric sockets including a selection of deep sockets and spark plug sockets plus a great selection of screwdriver, allen & torx bits. Both these sets were B & Q specials at really low prices. The sockets and spanners can undo the most stubborn nuts & bolts and it these won't undo something then neither will any of the as reliable calles them - gucci brands. Not every quality item has to have a well known respected brand name or the same price tag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-11-15, 12:46 PM   #10
Inactive User

Had to show this...36mm spanner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in