Protype/Concept petrol/air powered 208 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-14, 10:27 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Protype/Concept petrol/air powered 208

Protype/Concept petrol/air powered 208:

BBC News - Paris Motor Show: The car that's powered by air

Official Peugeot videos: (Note the change in the position and function of the compressed air cylinders. Also the wingmirrors have been replaced by thin blades containing cameras. The weight saving overall is 220 pounds/100Kg)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwj2...S-stEG&index=1

The estimate is 141mpg from a 3 cylinder petrol engine plus compressed air as the Zero Emissions side.

No note of how far it will go on the air alone, but then a Prius will only go a little over one mile on its batteries.

Last edited by PureJoe; 03-10-14 at 10:32 PM.
PureJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-14, 07:07 AM   #2

that is very interesting. wonder if it will ever take off. always been interested in the electric cars as i used to be an electric vehicle engineer but the air seems like a good idea. the down side of electric has always been the batteries.
on the wing mirror/camaras i cant see them being allowed in the blade sp
hape due to the damage they would do to a pedestrian.
pauls0701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-14, 12:18 PM   #3

Energy must be used to compress the air in the first place - all your doing is converting energy. Hydrogen is the way forward.

Still, top marks to Pug for at least investigating alternatives to petrol/diesel/lpg.
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-14, 12:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanless View Post
Energy must be used to compress the air in the first place - all your doing is converting energy. Hydrogen is the way forward.

Still, top marks to Pug for at least investigating alternatives to petrol/diesel/lpg.
I love my electric car I have done over 1200 miles since I got it on 3/9/14
Old 07-10-14, 01:41 PM   #5
Inactive User

QUANT e-Sportlimousine by nanoFLOWCELL AG

Even better if you live on the coast
Old 12-10-14, 10:56 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanless View Post
Energy must be used to compress the air in the first place - all your doing is converting energy.
Hmmm... the idea is that (i) you use regenerative braking energy that is otherwise lost, (ii) you use the engine that is controlled to run at maximum efficiency to pressurise the air. Think 120 mpg as this happens: this should increase your average fuel consumption. However, there are indeed losses in the latter part of the system.
Quote:
Hydrogen is the way forward.
Not until hydrogen can, for storage and delivery purposes, be bonded to molecules and then easily released and the molecules recycled to accept more hydrogen. The other problem is that there is no free hydrogen in the atmosphere, and you have to use a lot of energy to break the molecular bonds (e.g. in water) to create it. Storage is also a big problem. And, IIRC, its calorific value is quite low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandamage View Post
QUANT e-Sportlimousine by nanoFLOWCELL AG

Even better if you live on the coast
Nice, but I bet it costs more than a 107.

Last edited by PureJoe; 12-10-14 at 11:10 PM.
PureJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-14, 10:35 AM   #7

They have been working on compressed air vehicles in France for many years now.
Air Powered Cars - France

The engine developed was designed to run purely on compressed air, but for longer range a little petrol could be added, giving something like 130 mpg. But they could never secure proper backing to put it into production. Most likely the oil companies did their best to stop it. Their boast was that it actually produced cleaner air as a by product as the air was filtered before compression. MDI (Moteur Development International) is a project initiated and directed by CEO and mechanical engineer Guy Negre in 1991

Seems now Peugeot have taken up the idea.

Last edited by Brilec; 07-12-14 at 10:38 AM.
Brilec is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-14, 02:56 PM   #8

Peugeot have built electric cars for many years they just did not sell them here I don't see why this technology is any better than the electric technology they already have

Everyone is pushing hybrids of 1 sort or another down our throats and the only reason I can see for this is the oil companies are getting worried.

Using the latest battery systems an electric car can easily do 200 miles per charge driven correctly this is plenty for 70% of the population convincing them they are viable is the hard bit

most peoples daily commute is around 50 miles or less perfect for an electric car instead they buy small diseasels as they think that is the best option when actually a petrol engine running on LPG would actually cost less to run !!

people forget the very first cars were electric
Old 07-12-14, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilec View Post
But they could never secure proper backing to put it into production. Most likely the oil companies did their best to stop it.
This one keeps coming up. Possibly it might have some credibility in North America, but the oil companies don't have enough clout in Europe to stifle R&D into engine development.
I wouldn't be surprised to find the oil companies at the forefront of this research. Some of their executives are smart enough to see where things are going.
Some very successful car makers started out making horse drawn vehicles (Studebaker), bicycles (Rover, Morris) or moved from making other kinds of machinery (Wolesley). It makes sense that energy suppliers will evolve to suit changing markets, indeed, they must either move with the times or go out of business. Anyone remember Woolworths?.

Roger.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in