Premium or Regular fuel - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-12-16, 12:06 PM   #1

Default Premium or Regular fuel

Which is best ??

I use Tesco diesel - as far as I know, Tesco don't have a premium diesel but I find the Tesco diesel is actually better all round than the big brands premium diesels.

This video is quite illiminating......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-12-16, 12:26 PM   #2

There supreme is our normal ours is 95 and super is 98/99 most cars engines are DESIGNED for 95 octane fuel.

Diesel is a different thing altogether and im sure my views on this matter are well documented
Old 27-12-16, 01:55 PM   #3

I never use unbranded diesel in my cars unless desperate. My old car covered 270 K miles on original HP pump and injectors and was still running well when sold.

The one time i used supermarket fuel (Tesco) you could see the difference when driving, there was a puff of smoke when accelerating and engine ran noisier.

Trip computer also shows 2-3% better economy which coves cost difference

People may say it all comes from the same refinery (which it does) but different additive packages are added to the base fuel by the companies.

The same as engine oil it may all meets the same basic specification but is something like Asda 0-30 Fully synth the same as Mobil 1 ?

Old 27-12-16, 02:05 PM   #4

May not be the same windy but is it WORTH the extra money any oil is better than no oil !
I dont use gucci oil or gucci fuel

I use morrisons fuel 90% of the time and do big mileages on all my cars with very few problems including my turbo legacies which ran 95 octane petrol and morrisons LPG sold on both now and they are still going strong.
Old 27-12-16, 06:04 PM   #5

I used to use any petrol in my petrol cars.

it's only since i switched to diesel i stuck with branded fuel as I noticed the difference.
Old 27-12-16, 10:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy1603 View Post
I used to use any petrol in my petrol cars.

it's only since i switched to diesel i stuck with branded fuel as I noticed the difference.
Just to add that there is winter and summer diesel too it has different additives in to ease starting in winter
Old 29-12-16, 04:00 PM   #7
Inactive User

Started using ultimate diesel in the van and i see a difference in smoother driving but unsure about MPG. When i stuck it in my Fiat car (The petrol) i almost instantly seen a difference in the way the power was delivered and it was like a new car. MPG was down as i was having so much fun on the country roads same when i had a bike. Dont think i will be running with it long term though, just now and then to keep the injectors and things clean.
1888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-12-16, 09:57 PM   #8

I ran several cars using a spread sheet to compare different fuels from different outlets.

On a Hyundai Matrix, Honda FRV, Astra Hatch, Renault Laguna, 2 x 307's and the current 308. Tesco diesel was always joint best performer along with Shell regular diesel and BP regular diesel. Shell V power diesel gave slightly more mpg BUT the cost per mile was about 5p per mile more than the regular diesel due to it being so much more expensive per litre. Sainsburys was the cheapest at the pump but the most expensive per mile due to the very low mpg. Morrisons was somewhere in the middle. Out of all the different fuels I used, the only one that had a noticable difference to the performance of the car was Sainsburys where not only was it the worst mpg and the most expensive per mile, it also made the car very sluggish.

I honestly believe that most people think the gucci fuels perform better simply because the marketing says it does and it's their justification for shelling out the extra money. All my tests were done over several complete fill ups and using the same petrol stations for each brand. None of the cars suffered any long term damage from using supermarket fuels even during the three year period I was doing between 600 & 1000 miles per week. The Sainsbury fuel made the car so sluggish that the testing was cut after two full tanks.

For my money, the V power and similar brands of fuel give nothing more than a placebo effect. Just as people respond to inert medication. They say they feel much better because they believe the tablets are a wonder drug.
grumpyoldgit likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-12-16, 09:15 AM   #9

Morning Storeman,

I concur with everything you say other than the Tesco.

My findings for value for money are as follows. We don't have a Morrisons round here so I couldn't include them. This is regular diesel only. I did look at the premium diesel in 2014 and I decided its nothing other than a rip off!

It's a simple exercise, just looking at MPG over a period of 3 months and 62k miles covered in 5 (4 Peugeots 1 Vauxhall) vehicles. Calculated the mpg in between fill ups and logged down the MPG in a column on a spread sheet for each fuel supplier. An average was then calculated.

This was done in 1st Quarter 2016

1st: Esso 45.33 MPG
2nd:Shell 45.15
3rd:BP 44.82
4th:Asda 44.01
5th:Jet 43.89
6th: Tesco 43.01
7th:Sainsbury 42.97

There is a difference of 2.36 MPG between the best and worst?

Grumpy
grumpyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-12-16, 11:33 AM   #10

To make a proper accurate test would be very difficult and expensive. All testing would have to be done in controlled conditions, it it is windy when you test one fuel and calm testing another that will affect the results for example.
Ideally a bunch of engines should be run in a laboratory with constant monitoring and each engine should run each fuel being tested for the same amount of time under identical conditions.
I choose which fuel I use by using filling stations which provide free air. That means Sainsburys and Budgens locally to me.

Roger.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in