Possible new job - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-14, 07:55 PM   #1

Default Possible new job

The customer who's site I work on may be closing the site later this year. I've asked my employer on three occasions what is likely to happen to me IF they close and all I've been told is that they haven't been told that the site is closing so they haven't discussed it and not to worry until it is confirmed.

Maybe it's just me but I think now is the time to worry about it. If I just wait and see what happens I could very well find myself out of work for an unspecified amount of time and risk losing my home. I've been applying for jobs for sometime now but not had any success which I believe is down to the recruitment agencies seeing that I'm coming up to the age of 57 and deciding I'm over the hill (even though there is an age discrimination law).

However, one job I applied for was direct to the company and not through a recruitment agency. They have invited me for an initial interview next Thursday the 17th April. It's a totally different industry to the one I'm currently in and which is in severe decline. Now it's up to me to convince them that I'm the guy they really need.

The bonuses in no particular order are.....
  • It's closer to home
  • A lot more money
  • Comes with a company car
  • No longer going to cost me 60 to 75 a week in diesel
  • A better work/life balance

Here's hoping

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-14, 07:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeman View Post
The customer who's site I work on may be closing the site later this year. I've asked my employer on three occasions what is likely to happen to me IF they close and all I've been told is that they haven't been told that the site is closing so they haven't discussed it and not to worry until it is confirmed.

Maybe it's just me but I think now is the time to worry about it. If I just wait and see what happens I could very well find myself out of work for an unspecified amount of time and risk losing my home. I've been applying for jobs for sometime now but not had any success which I believe is down to the recruitment agencies seeing that I'm coming up to the age of 57 and deciding I'm over the hill (even though there is an age discrimination law).

However, one job I applied for was direct to the company and not through a recruitment agency. They have invited me for an initial interview next Thursday the 17th April. It's a totally different industry to the one I'm currently in and which is in severe decline. Now it's up to me to convince them that I'm the guy they really need.

The bonuses in no particular order are.....
  • It's closer to home
  • A lot more money
  • Comes with a company car
  • No longer going to cost me 60 to 75 a week in diesel
  • A better work/life balance

Here's hoping
All the best................

Last edited by Cibear; 10-04-14 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Error
Cibear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-14, 08:00 PM   #3

Good luck I would be doing the same trust nobody when it comes to your work look after no1

I have not worked directly for someone else in 20 years I much prefer being in control and I am happy with my lot

Old 10-04-14, 08:03 PM   #4
Inactive User

Hope all goes well mate.
steve18gls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-14, 07:23 AM   #5

Good luck with that, you'll wear your cars out less (and yourself!) if you get something closer to home.
Old 11-04-14, 09:30 AM   #6

Thanks for the good wishes guys.

If I do get the job I'll be keeping the 307 even though there is a company car.

Getting this job will allow me to do all the non vital jobs I would like to do but can't at the moment as I can't have the car off the road.
Gibbo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 17-04-14, 06:37 PM   #7

'Work/life balance' - that's the most important one.

We all have a finite amount of time - no matter how wealthy you are - you can't buy more of it.
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-04-14, 07:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanless View Post
'Work/life balance' - that's the most important one.

We all have a finite amount of time - no matter how wealthy you are - you can't buy more of it.
This is true. Trouble with the current job is the daily commute. Spend a lot of time each day getting to & from work. The cost of getting to and from work and maintaining the car takes away a good chunk of my pay, 1,070.07 on diesel alone so far this year.

If I do get this job then we will be able to afford things like holidays and days out so will be able to make the most of the time we do get to spend together. It kind of irritates me that I go out to work, commute 120 miles each day and find myself worse off than someone who's never done an honest days work in their life.

Not everyone who is out of work has an easy life but there are enough of them to seriously p*** me off.
bettyswollocks and Gibbo like this.

Old 17-04-14, 07:48 PM   #9
Ginger Magic

Good luck fella, it seems like a no-brainer option to me.....

If you spend 1/3rd of your life at work, why be unhappy, uncertain, or wishing you were somewhere else for 1/3rd of your life...

Lets hope the prospective employers give you the opportunity to move on.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-04-14, 08:04 PM   #10

Hope all works out for you bud, either way make the most of it.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in