No more! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By storeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-14, 05:58 PM   #1
Inactive User

Talking No more!

The final farewell today...The 308 vti sport will trouble me no more...what a relief

We have now two Fords. My ride is a 62 plate Mondeo Zetec with business pack 1.6 ecoboost 160 bhp. ...45mpg smooth reliable motor and young with just 6k on clock. We love it.

We replaced the naughty 308 with a Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 100bhp titaniumx got all the toys leather seats the lot. Leaves the pug for dead free tax 50mpg. No knocking engine no throaty air intake, no misfiring , no depolution errors..

The dealer is just the best....not like Peugeot's dealer in Coventry.

Without question when I book in to Ford for a service a courtesy car is given automatically!

They always ensure we are informed before any work is carried out and no bull shit.

The best cars Peugeot ever made was the 205 1.9 gti. After that they have lost it

Thank you to all those who offered advise about all my pugs 2 X 205 gti 1.9, 1 X 306 D turbo, 307 Hdi and 206 1.4 Hdi ...I loved these. Just the 308 is a pile of junk.

Cheers
Advertisement

Old 05-12-14, 06:30 PM   #2

Good luck with that Mondeo..........................................

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-14, 06:38 PM   #3
Inactive User

Good luck with your Fords.

But always remember that cars now are not built and last like they used to be and have way to much electronics in them now so more to go wrong.

Perhaps it's just me too old school.

Best French motors I have owned so far Renault 21 Turbo Quadra, the 19 16 valve. I also miss the Peugeot 605 which was technically ahead of it's time. But I'am loving the 206 1.4 HDI model which is very quickly approaching 250K and very cheap to tax and run seems bullet proof as I do give it some stick.

Kind regards Adam.

Last edited by AMBROSIA; 06-12-14 at 10:32 PM.
AMBROSIA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-14, 07:24 PM   #4
Ginger Magic

Before I got my 406 I nearly bought a Mondeo, diesel of course, but it was a bit out of my price range - this is the only reason I didn't get one.

The Mondeo is a good car, the new ones are lovely.

If my trusty 406 went badly wrong, or was written off then I would look for a replacement 406, unless a bargain Mondeo came my way.

Good luck with the new mowtahs

Last edited by Ginger Magic; 05-12-14 at 07:26 PM. Reason: No reason - I like writing in this little box here...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-14, 06:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBROSIA View Post
Good luck with your Fords.

But always remember this cars now are not build and last like they used to be and have way to much electronics in them now so more to go wrong.

Perhaps it's just me too old school.
Not sure what you consider old school but I have to disagree with you're statement that cars are not built to last like they used to be. I drive a 10 year old car and many are driving older cars. When I started driving most cars needed some kind of welding to the inner wings and / or chassis by the time it needed it's first MOT. You certainly wouldn't have entertained a car with 100,000 miles on the clock unless you wanted a project to spend all you spare cash on.

Cars these days tend to last much longer than they used to do although there is the odd one that can cause no end of trouble to the unfortunate owner but thankfully these are a small minority.
Ginger Magic and marchie1053 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-14, 11:28 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeman View Post
Not sure what you consider old school but I have to disagree with you're statement that cars are not built to last like they used to be. I drive a 10 year old car and many are driving older cars. When I started driving most cars needed some kind of welding to the inner wings and / or chassis by the time it needed it's first MOT. You certainly wouldn't have entertained a car with 100,000 miles on the clock unless you wanted a project to spend all you spare cash on.

Cars these days tend to last much longer than they used to do although there is the odd one that can cause no end of trouble to the unfortunate owner but thankfully these are a small minority.
Ok you will then probably remember that cars back in the day were built from 24 inch gauge steel. Nowadays built with 14 inch gauge steel or double/triple skinned. The interiors had a solid feel and better plastics/wood inserts especially top of the range models.

Engines easier to work on until Ford introduced mechanical injection and ABS systems. Nowadays run by electronic modules that can write off the vehicle due to the overall cost of replacement. I have come across a number a vehicles where the customer said not worth it due to vehicle value.

Most vehicles are designed and built overseas Ie Spain, Italy and other warmer climates so the bodies are not protected or tweaked for our climate in the UK.

For example the Ford KA (built in Spain shipped to the UK) more rust than paint which was on a 2007 model!

Another example Mercedes Benz C Class 2006 which one owner must of paid 30K plus front wings full of rust. Astonished!

I owned a 1981 Ford Fiesta which was the base model windscreen washers operated by a foot plunger but not once in five years I owned it did failure occur on rust or needed plating.

Renault Megan Scenic or Clio with plastic wings and bonnet! Not for me. Would not feel safe against a car with metal equivalent.

Volkswagen and Audi models leak just as bad as a sieve many models I have dealt with are like mini ponds.

Always remember this because of 'less' steel manufactures fit these door bars in to strengthen but cause havoc for the fire brigade if they have to cut someone free from and accident due to them taking twice as long to cut through the door.

Your right though if you look after any vehicle whether old or new it will last you but many owners don't. Again how many owners actually get the underside of their vehicle steam cleaned and waxed yearly to stop corrosion? So those older cars which needed plating could of been prevented if those owners had carried out the through cleaning process on the vehicle. As you know there are still some classic models out there that are immaculate.

Friends would say to me your mad taking the wheels off just to wash and clean the wheel arches etc. But if you are going to do a job do properly.

Cars are built on the cheap and for economy reasons and you can pick up some new models for just under 6K the less bits the manufactures use the better.

I have noticed now that newer models are not even painted on the inside of the panels and left at the primer with over spray!

Did not get that back in the day all panels coated with paint.

It's like with any product washing machine life span approx. 4 years then throw it away. Same with a car 80K or six years and they are past their best.

So it's all about build quality with me but I should accept you only get what you pay for these days.
Old 07-12-14, 02:29 PM   #7

Sorry but you seem to have things a little backwards. Cars these days ARE corrosion protected - even the base model whereas back in the 'good old days' the only panel protection was the paint on the visible parts.

Getting a car undersealed was an expensive and horrible job for the guy doing it. I undersealed many cars but by the time I came to spray the stuff on the corrosion had already started. The gauge of the steel has little to do with the topic apart from a thicker gauge steel will take a little longer to corrode through.

I accept your point that an ECU replacement can be a very expensive repair but doesn't necessarily have to be more expensive than the value of the car. Electronics these days are very reliable and don't fail as often as you seem to be making out. As for build quality, even the entry level cars are of a better quality than most mid to high spec cars of years gone by. Back when the UK had a booming car manufacturing industry cars used to roll off the production line almost ready for the scrapyard. After they had stood unprotected outside in all weathers they were already rust buckets. Maybe the most expensive cars had some protection but the everyday cars that the general public could afford didn't benefit from such luxury's.

I wish I had a pound for every car that I'd worked on welding on new chassis legs, inner wings, support plates for McPherson struts, plating footwells and boot pans. I'd be a lot richer! Back in those old school days, a typical ten year old car would usually have been a death trap and would have been lucky to survive a bumpy road, pothole or speed bump without breaking apart or at least something falling off. Maybe old school for you is way way back in the late 90's or 2000's in which case it ain't really old school.

Last edited by storeman; 07-12-14 at 02:32 PM.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-14, 03:00 PM   #8
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeman View Post
Sorry but you seem to have things a little backwards. Cars these days ARE corrosion protected - even the base model whereas back in the 'good old days' the only panel protection was the paint on the visible parts.

Getting a car undersealed was an expensive and horrible job for the guy doing it. I undersealed many cars but by the time I came to spray the stuff on the corrosion had already started. The gauge of the steel has little to do with the topic apart from a thicker gauge steel will take a little longer to corrode through.

I accept your point that an ECU replacement can be a very expensive repair but doesn't necessarily have to be more expensive than the value of the car. Electronics these days are very reliable and don't fail as often as you seem to be making out. As for build quality, even the entry level cars are of a better quality than most mid to high spec cars of years gone by. Back when the UK had a booming car manufacturing industry cars used to roll off the production line almost ready for the scrapyard. After they had stood unprotected outside in all weathers they were already rust buckets. Maybe the most expensive cars had some protection but the everyday cars that the general public could afford didn't benefit from such luxury's.

I wish I had a pound for every car that I'd worked on welding on new chassis legs, inner wings, support plates for McPherson struts, plating footwells and boot pans. I'd be a lot richer! Back in those old school days, a typical ten year old car would usually have been a death trap and would have been lucky to survive a bumpy road, pothole or speed bump without breaking apart or at least something falling off. Maybe old school for you is way way back in the late 90's or 2000's in which case it ain't really old school.
Gone are the days of using a screwdriver to adjust idle and mixture screws.

Gone are the days of disconnecting a vacuum pipe to lower your emissions on the test.

Gone are the days of cleaning your spark plugs with a wire brush and emery sheet and re-gapping using feeler gauges.

I'am talking 70s 80s old school vehicles that have gone by and 1992 showed a radical change with vehicle manufactures when most models were fitted with catalyst convertors.

Yes I agree if you are still welding up 10 years or older cars now is still a shame but a least back in the day owners did not have to worry about the amount of electronics packed into them. Surly you would agree that it is the body and underside maintenance that is not keep up on motors these days.

I owned two Fords back in the day shipped from Germany and ziebarted from new so no rust issues there.

Last edited by AMBROSIA; 07-12-14 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in