New rad tax laws from October 2014. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By chopper1192
  • 1 Post By Stubbo
  • 2 Post By themonk3106

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-01-14, 06:05 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default New rad tax laws from October 2014.

Something interesting regarding road tax. Private Cars Cannot Be Sold With Road Tax From October 2014
melosv8man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-01-14, 06:20 PM   #2
Inactive User

I dont see why it cant be sold with the vehicle, the paper form of Tax disc as we know it will cease to exist but as its an emmision tax why can it not be sold with the vehicle, its not the driver emmiting co2 its the vehicle..

About time it was got rid of all together if it was truly an emmisions tax it would be added to fuel prices that is the only fair way to introduce a tax on emmisions.
trispug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-01-14, 07:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trispug View Post
I dont see why it cant be sold with the vehicle, the paper form of Tax disc as we know it will cease to exist but as its an emmision tax why can it not be sold with the vehicle, its not the driver emmiting co2 its the vehicle..

About time it was got rid of all together if it was truly an emmisions tax it would be added to fuel prices that is the only fair way to introduce a tax on emmisions.
that would probably add far more to people's motoring costs. Other countries do something similar and from experience, after you register the car in your name, they send you an invoice from the time it was registered. The car I bought in the Netherlands was registered in January and I saw the bill a month or later, we moved to Belgium and registered the car in July, we saw the bill in August.....

Also, here, to sell a car, the seller needs to get a new equivalent of an MOT from what I understand from an independent test centre and so the intent of a sale is registered in the system. I'm not saying its a better system here, its just what I've seen or been told about by others; it seems to work
britinbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 17-01-14, 09:11 PM   #4

More free cash for the govt as a convenient side effect. When claiming a refund, you only get full months back, and when taxing one you have to tax it from the start of the current month, which will mean every car sold will end up having to be double-taxed for 1 month, once by the previous owner and once by the new one.

I guess if you sold it towards the end of the month, and the new owner didn't mind waiting a few days to use it, it could be avoided.
Old 17-01-14, 10:04 PM   #5
chopper1192

2 points to consider...

1. It doesn't really matter.

2. The source of story is the AA, not the government. The AA can't even get their primary job right half the time so I wouldn't pay it too much credence yet.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-01-14, 12:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1192 View Post
2 points to consider...

1. It doesn't really matter.

2. The source of story is the AA, not the government. The AA can't even get their primary job right half the time so I wouldn't pay it too much credence yet.
Buts its been on the news and in the newspapers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25223631

Car tax discs face end of the road as George Osborne introduces new payment system - Mirror Online

If its been introduced by The Chancellor George Osborne it cant be good.
themonk3106 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-01-14, 07:40 AM   #7
chopper1192

It's been all over the place, but the source is the AA.
Old 18-01-14, 12:14 PM   #8
Stubbo

How does this work then..

As 1 of the comments says, you have to keep a car taxed while you are selling it to demonstrate it to buyers for test drives

As soon as its sold and you remove the tax, do you have to SORN it? as until the V5 is sent off you still legally own it?

Then how does a buyer drive it away with ease?

Designed to cut red tape my arse, seems just as backwards as the current system!
pr1vatepiles likes this.
Old 18-01-14, 08:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbo View Post
How does this work then..

As 1 of the comments says, you have to keep a car taxed while you are selling it to demonstrate it to buyers for test drives

As soon as its sold and you remove the tax, do you have to SORN it? as until the V5 is sent off you still legally own it?

Then how does a buyer drive it away with ease?

Designed to cut red tape my arse, seems just as backwards as the current system!
Unless the vehicle had been sorned then it would have to be taxed anyway. The article says that it can't be sold with any tax - doesn't say the tax has to be revoked while it is up for sale.

When the car is sold it belongs to someone else so how can the seller sorn it ? Once the V5 has been filled in and signed correctly then that is all the legal proof the seller needs to prove they are no longer responsible for any violations that take place.

The buyer can use the V5 slip to tax and insure the vehicle and the buyer will be able to do both over the phone or on the internet. If the buyer does this at the time of purchase then the car will be road legal. If the buyer decides to drive home before taxing and insuring the vehicle then the databases will still show the vehicle as having tax & insurance in the name of the seller so as long as there are no traffic violations or RTA's then no-one would be any the wiser. In the event of a traffic violation then the seller would get the ticket BUT would be able to prove they were no longer the owner or keeper of the vehicle, pass the buyers information onto the police and the buyer would be in deep sh1t. If they had an RTA without first insuring the vehicle then they would be in deeper sh1t.

Can't really see what all the fuss is about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-01-14, 08:35 PM   #10

You pay for your car tax in the normal way. The information is stored on computer. Its the governments way of going green, saves on paper.

Opens up a can of worms really. Cloned number plates. The Police camera picks up a number plate runs it through their computer and tells if the car is insured, MOT'd and taxed. They have just made it easier for criminal element who wont after Oct 2014 have to forge paper Tax Discs.
mooi1uk and pr1vatepiles like this.
themonk3106 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in