Major changes to the MOT test on 20th of May 2018 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-01-18, 11:43 AM   #1

Exclamation Major changes to the MOT test on 20th of May 2018

Major changes to the MOT test on 20th of May 2018

Some of you may have already heard that there are big changes coming to the MOT test this May. Here are just a few of the biggest changes that are most likely to affect you. Please take these with a pinch of salt as nothing will be finalised until the end of April and will probably still be subject to change after that date. Remember it will take your MOT tester time to get up to speed with these too!

So...

Advisories are being replaced with minor fails. These are all pre written & approved by DVSA. You will still get a pass but they will be noted on your test certificate. Manual advisories are still being worked out but may disappear completely.

Those of you who have changed your standard headlight bulbs for HID's will now get a major fail even if the aim is correct. It has always been an offence to fit HID bulbs to halogen headlamps so the MOT is now in line with that.

Reverse lights are now part of the MOT for any car registered from 1st September 2009 (59 plate onwards). Daytime running lamps (DRL's) & front fog lamps must work on vehicles registered from March 2018 (18 plate onwards).

Engine Management Light is now a major fail. It must come on with the ignition and then turn off when the engine is started.

Brake pad warning lights are a major fail

Handbrake with excessive travel is now a major fail. Before it would only a fail if there was no reserve travel.

Contaminated (dirty) brake fluid is a major fail. Not sure how that will work as the MOT tester isn't allowed to remove the fluid cap.

Oil leaks (engine, gearbox etc.) can be a major failure if they are deemed large enough.

It seems they have removed the failure for tyres not being fitted according to sidewall instructions. Inner/outer or rotation incorrect.

Any modifications/removal to emissions related devices, this includes DPF'S and EGR's is now a major fail.

Where a DPF canister has clearly been cut open and re-welded, it will now fail.

A vehicle fitted with a DPF that emits any kind of visible smoke during the metered test will now fail

Emissions limits for diesels registered on or after 1st of January 2014 have been reduced. All diesels will now need to pass the limit that was set by the manufacturer when the car was new. This can be found on the VIN plate. For example the current limit for your diesel car may be 1.50. That could change to as low as 0.30 with the new rules.

These are just some of the bigger changes to the MOT test the average motorist is likely to be affected by. There are dozens, perhaps even over 100 changes to the actual MOT test and to the way testers record tests on the MOT computer. Please remember these are all subject to change in the coming months and remember spare a thought for your MOT tester before you say...

"Well it passed like that last year!"

Source - https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-emission-data

So glad i only got a blanked off egr lol.
508GT180 and OldCodgger like this.
martins-place is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-01-18, 12:16 PM   #2

I bet some MOT stations will have problems with those kind of changes perhaps some measures will be dropped before they go live

The 2014 test needing to meet manufacturing standards is concerning as lots of cars probably never met the stated standard when new so if they are going to penalise the owner i hope claiming will be a simple process directly from the manufacturer

In fairness the writing has been on the wall for dpf modifications for a while i thought they may connect to the obd port for checking modifications of power outputs as well

I do feel for those who have fitted expensive light conversions with luck they retain the original equipment

Thanks for sharing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
border_all is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-01-18, 12:25 PM   #3

This bit get s me
Quote:
Emissions limits for diesels registered on or after 1st of January 2014 have been reduced. All diesels will now need to pass the limit that was set by the manufacturer when the car was new.
How do they exspect a car with say 120.000 on the clock to be as good as when it was made ?
border_all and Nas80 like this.
martins-place is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 22-01-18, 12:26 PM   #4

I feel no pity for those who have fitted expensive light conversions as they are the ones that hurt my eyes the most !!

Sadly no doubt NOTHING will be done about it they will still be using them as the regs will be ignored just as they are by the police at the moment !!
Brilec, Gibbo and rustyroger like this.
Old 22-01-18, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
I feel no pity for those who have fitted expensive light conversions as they are the ones that hurt my eyes the most !!

Sadly no doubt NOTHING will be done about it they will still be using them as the regs will be ignored just as they are by the police at the moment !!
I donít pity them just feel sorry, locally many agents are still offering conversion but at owners risk if the law wishes to stop the practice they need stop the companies doing the deed. The sorry part is when i was young i could more easily and legally make the car individual to me. Even stuff like a fairy dice is out now and yes i agree they offered distractions and blind spots its just going a little far for my taste. The law is not even clear about using mobile devices for satnav in yet in the new driving tests you may need follow navigational aids

I just wish that laws would be more easy for people to follow if gear is illegal dont sell it
Nas80 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
border_all is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-01-18, 01:21 PM   #6

On the whole, it seems like a common sense revision to bring the mot test into line with modern cars. The original 10 yearly test introduced in 1960 covered brakes, lights, and steering, to a much less stringent standard than today. It' purpose was to get dangerous pre-war death traps off the road.
The test is - and should be - much more thorough now. We should always remember a current mot doesn't mean a car is in good shape, or even legal!.
I don't think checking tyres for correct mounting will be deleted, I think it is an oversight that will be corrected before the final draft.

Roger.
Old 22-01-18, 01:26 PM   #7

Does that go for these companies advertising the invisible removal of Adblue systems for commercial vehicles too?
Old 22-01-18, 04:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins-place View Post
This bit get s me

How do they exspect a car with say 120.000 on the clock to be as good as when it was made ?
A good engine can be just as clean if not cleaner after 120k miles than a new one !

My clio is always well below its limits and it has nearly 200k miles on it
Old 22-01-18, 05:48 PM   #9

They also need to enforce illegal tinting of front widows, there have been a couple of fatal cases mainly with motorcyclists where coroner or police have said they did not see the bike because of window tints. They could get MOT stations to use light meter like some police forces

I think it was Liverpool police who had a purge about 5 yrs ago and impounded around 40 cars in one day due to illegal tints
Old 22-01-18, 06:35 PM   #10

Looking at the draft manual the "New" diesel emission figures are for 2008 onwards.

The thing that i still don't agree with (even more so after the VW emissions scandal) is that most TDI engines only free rev to 3000 rpm for the emissions test due to a manufactures "Feature" so that's ok but the can redline/rev the nuts off a PSA engine and fail on smoke where it may pass at 3000 rpm
Nas80 likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in