Limit cars to 70 mph - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-13, 09:17 PM   #1

Default Limit cars to 70 mph

Article in the Telegraph - EU want all new and old cars to be fitted with automatic speed limiting equipment.

A camera in the car reads the road's speed limit and applies the brakes if the car is exceeding that speed limit.

Purpose is to reduce road deaths.

One problem - sometimes you need to go faster to get out of the way and avoid an accident.

What next, straight bananas?
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-13, 09:27 PM   #2
CAB

It'll never happen.

More chance of limit going to 80 mph & it'll be a 80 Max (with a little tolerance) not like now were it's 70 and most do 80 and police aren't bothered.

Peugeot Planet owner, Doncaster
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-13, 10:24 PM   #3
Inactive User

Should be like the French 130 kmh and down to 110 if it is raining .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
407 mad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-13, 10:31 PM   #4
Super Moderator

All well and good until you try to pass someone and they speed up. Head on collision anyone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have owned: '00 Speedfight2 50cc '96 106 1.5d Escapade '97 306 1.9d D-turbo '99 306 1.9d D-turbo '03 307 2.0hdi 110 Rapier '06 307 2.0hdi 136 XSI '04 Peugeot 206 2.0hdi XSI
stevoxsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-13, 07:40 AM   #5
chopper1192

With GPS and road sign recognition technology it's possible to restrict vehicles to the prevailing speed limit. Indeed, a handful or motorcycles are available with this kit. Wouldn't be a problem for me.
Old 02-09-13, 08:13 AM   #6

If it came in then the police would find it a tad difficult to catch up with someone making a getaway. All they would need to do is keep to the speed limit and the police would always be the same distance behind. Then it would be a case of who ran out of fuel first
border_all and karen1812 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-13, 08:41 AM   #7
pr1vatepiles

Read this last night. Sounds good in theory but the bit that worried me was when it said, if you go above 70 it will automatically apply the brakes. Sounds a recipe for disaster if you ask me. Maybe limit them to 80?
Old 02-09-13, 08:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1192 View Post
With GPS and road sign recognition technology it's possible to restrict vehicles to the prevailing speed limit. Indeed, a handful or motorcycles are available with this kit. Wouldn't be a problem for me.
I have one issue having used GPS a fair bit the speed limit data is often wrong this would need addressing in a major way.

I have cycled many miles as you do, perhaps you would agree that a bicycle could do with something that makes stopping for red lights obligatory and riding on the correct side of the road on town streets would be vey useful.

Don't get me started on lane discipline, parking in un safe spots, nicking your braking distance hgv travelling mile after mile in outside lane just to pull in because they can't get passed

It just seems we do have more pressing issues on road safety than auto speed control

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

border_all is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-13, 08:56 AM   #9

I bet that the EU haven't said anything of the kind and the paper has got it wrong, this happened a while back with this:

Quote:
Meddling Brussels bureaucrats want to make modified and most classic cars illegal under radical reforms which would affect millions of British drivers.
Tabloid Watch
Old 02-09-13, 11:37 AM   #10
chopper1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by border_all View Post
I have one issue having used GPS a fair bit the speed limit data is often wrong this would need addressing in a major way.

I have cycled many miles as you do, perhaps you would agree that a bicycle could do with something that makes stopping for red lights obligatory and riding on the correct side of the road on town streets would be vey useful.

Don't get me started on lane discipline, parking in un safe spots, nicking your braking distance hgv travelling mile after mile in outside lane just to pull in because they can't get passed

It just seems we do have more pressing issues on road safety than auto speed control

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I obey all red lights and road signs scrupulously, regardless of whether I'm in my bicycles, motorbike or cars. If a traffic light Taser were invented I'd have no issue at all. The road safety issue is not one of the mode of transport itself, but if the behaviour of the riders/drivers. As a law abiding road user im all for anything that rigorously enforces laws that already exist, and now as a MIAS L4 cycling instructor I do my bit for spreading the gospel of good practice and safety to others, as well as first aid, defensive tactics, off road skill...
windy1603 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in